What Happened to the Thunderdome

eaglesfan036

In the good old days the Thunderdome was like the wild west where pretty much anything went. The point of the Thunder Dome was all shit posting that wouldn't look good on the main boards were posted there. Thunderdome threads used to never be locked by design, unless it was something extremely egregious. Now it seems like every legitimate Thunderdome worthy thread gets locked after like 30 minutes. Usually it is @frescoelmo coming in warning everyone to remain tame when no one has even posted anything bad and him and tfong just lock threads for no reason. Under Victor's great leadership these threads never got locked, because the point was if you don't want to partake in Thunderdome activities you don't go there. 

People also seem to be getting banned at a way higher pace than ever before, as the old VHL only ever really banned Anderson when he tried to DDOX the site, and maybe like one other person who was just a spammer? Now it seems like there is a new punishment handed out every other week. 

I think the league has certainly taken some great steps forward in terms of making us a more inclusive community, not tolerating people saying derogatory things and all that good stuff. That's something that makes "too much moderation" not a very good blanket statement (not that I'm saying you'd necessarily disagree with that, just an observation of my own).

A place where I would agree with that is that it does seem that warnings and thread lockings are happening more than they need to as of late. There's a difference between being derogatory and breaking code of conduct and having a disagreement with someone...and that doesn't often seem to be generally recognized. Disagreement happens, drama happens, and it seems at times that the league is trying to enforce (not just trying to achieve, which is unrealistic but fine) some sort of idealized picture of the community where nobody ever disagrees on anything.

Of course, I'm not trying to group all people with mod power together and I'm not even trying to point fingers at anyone--I think the mods are good people, just that there's a small bit of a downside to what's otherwise a positive cultural shift here.

8 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

A place where I would agree with that is that it does seem that warnings and thread lockings are happening more than they need to as of late

This has a lot to do with personal bias and individual tolerances.  If you change the people doing the job, then there will be a shift....unless you are replacing with clones.  I think the folks who are trying to keep things tame are doing a great job.  If I can get away with what I do, then there should be no reason to relax standards anymore than they are.