The Argument for Istanbul to be in The VHLE!

Alex

2wN3Icj.jpg

With all the recent discussion around the VHLE and potential franchises, I decided that I would make a case for Istanbul. Below I have listed out several reasons why I believe Istanbul would be a very successful VHLE franchise that could become a fan favourite. I have also listed some proposed team names.

1.       Population and History

Located on the border of Europe and Asia lies Europe’s largest city Istanbul! Founded in 657 BCE as Byzantium, Istanbul has gone by several names throughout its history: Byzantium, Constantinople, Stamboul, and currently Istanbul. Istanbul has consistently been the largest city in Europe and occasionally the world, currently Istanbul has grown to a population of 15 million. Istanbul has a higher population than all of the cities proposed in the first VHLE pole (Oslo, St. Petersburg, Paris, Berlin, Rome) combined. Historically the capital of the Byzantine and Ottoman empires and the current capital of Turkey, Istanbul has been named one of the European Capitals of Culture (designated by the EU) with over 13.4 million visitors per year (the fifth most in Europe). Istanbul is also historically a key location along the Silk Road between Europe and India. With a population this large, the sheer number of tourists, and the rich historical and modern culture Istanbul can easily provide an environment where an ice hockey team can thrive! 

2.       Recent Team Asia Success in the WJC

With the recent success of Team Asia at the WJC, winning a medal in 2 consecutive years, Istanbul has become obsessed with the sport and has become a true hockey mecca! During the last WJC the streets of Istanbul flooded with following each win especially over the traditional hockey superpowers of Canada and the USA.

3.       Existing Infrastructure

PqVd9hg.jpg

Istanbul is home to the Silivrikapı İce Rink which has been used to host several well known hockey events including the 2016 IIHF World Championship for division 3. The ice rink is located right next to the world famous Walls of Constantinople just to the west. The rink is also very accessible through public transport and has 3 pre-existing public bus lines.

Possible Team Names

Istanbul Empire:

The historical capital of one of the largest and most recent empires, the Ottoman Empire spanned from Northern Africa, the middle east and all the way to Greece, covering an area of 1.8 million square kilometers. The Ottoman Empire will forever be known in Europe and was one of the biggest superpowers in the world.

Istanbul Cavalry:

The backbone of the Ottoman Empire the Cavalry units consistently out-maneuvered opponents and struck fear into the other military forces.

Istanbul Conquerors:

The Ottoman Empire conquered a significant amount of Northern Africa, the Middle East, and the area surrounding the Mediterranean. The name conquerors shows what the forces of Istanbul are capable of.

Istanbul Redwings:

The national bird of turkey is the redwing, a small bird that is typically seen in massive flocks that move in highly coordinated movements. The redwing is a species that shows how a species can thrive when they work together.

Istanbul Red Wolves:

5wV4LJ6.png

During @Victor‘s initial article discussing potential teams for the VHLE they discussed the possibility of giving the moniker ‘Red Wolves’ to another team in Russia. I believe the name Red Wolves would fit a team in Istanbul perfectly, as the national animal of Turkey is the Wolf.

• Admin
6 hours ago, Alex_J32 said:

the current capital of Turkey

Nope, pitch discarded :P

I might actually include Istanbul red wolves cuz I think otherwise we wont use the logo. Dont think Istanbul makes much sense as a hockey location (and yes I know Rome, but Italy is better at hockey) to merit more than that tbh.

2 minutes ago, Victor said:

I might actually include Istanbul red wolves cuz I think otherwise we wont use the logo.

Honestly, that's all I could ask for! I do think Istanbul makes a really cool and unique location for a team, that's very much unorthodox and could be intriguing to a lot of users.