My Most Boring Media Spot

Gustav

I don’t know if this is actually going to be the case, but I don’t plan on going back and editing this part if I actually make something out of the article. I’m out of town this week with not much time to throw things together and am simply playing the “bang out 500 words for TPE” card because what little time I have to do things can still be wasted on being an Internet loser (I jest…mostly). That, and I’m on mobile. I hate mobile. So, if what you’re looking for is some in-depth research or analysis or something along those lines, click away now because you’ll be disappointed. 

With that being said, there’s some low-hanging fruit out there to be picked, and that is offering up my HARD-HITTING OPINIONS on PRESSING LEAGUE MATTERS and BLOWING THE MINDS OF THOSE LESS EXPERIENCED with things that have probably been said many times already in other articles and comments that I’m just too lazy to read. 

The low-hanging fruit, of course, is the same apple on a branch that turned into a watermelon on the ground within a couple weeks and by next season will be a potato that we have to dig up…that being everyone’s favorite third league, the VHLE. A couple HARD-HITTING OPINIONS are as follows, most of them grumbling because that’s what I do best:

-I disagree with keeping Berlin as an option after the fallout (I believe the phrase officially used was “fair criticism”) over the first logo concept with the Steel. It’s like the NFL’s Washington Football Team floating around without an actual brand—sure, they made the right choice, but there will always be that bit of “we all know why the team looks the way it does.” I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the current concept (in fact, I actually quite like it), but introducing a Berlin team will forever stick us with an embarrassing backstory. 

-I have the somewhat boomer opinion that we should stick with old defunct teams as much as possible. My ideal VHLE would have ZERO new teams. I ran over my reasons for not wanting Stockholm in the VHLE a while back in an article I’d link if I knew how to link it on mobile, but I’m more in favor of Stockholm than some of the—to put it bluntly—“dumber” concepts out there. 

-Here are the concepts I consider “dumber”:

—>Paris Revolution. I find the name incredibly tacky and don’t understand why really anyone finds it appealing. Singular team names are generally abstract (think Minnesota Wild or Orlando Magic), while “Revolution” takes a concrete thing and just tries to slap it onto a team’a branding. While we’re at it, let’s rebrand Prague to the “Defenestration” (look that one up if you missed it in your history classes). 
—>Rome Gladiators. I don’t have as much of a big reason to dislike it as I do the “Revolution”; I just can’t say I like the name. That’s my opinion, and since that’s pretty much my entire reasoning there, not much interesting to say about it. 
—>Istanbul Red Wolves. This goes very much against my “let’s use old teams” thing above, but we have the Wolves in the big league and I don’t want the same thing twice. 

That’s 500 words, right? I think? Yes, I did it. See you next week. 

Edited by GustavMattias

57 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

I don’t know if this is actually going to be the case, but I don’t plan on going back and editing this part if I actually make something out of the article.

57 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

Edited 41 minutes ago by GustavMattias

Okay boomer.

I’m in favour of there being a couple new teams but I’m also not a fan of Paris in general or the Red Wolves as a name (though I do like the logo). I say we find a nice European city that starts with an F, say the red wolf is a fox, and then we’re cooking with gravy.

20 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

Okay boomer.

I’m in favour of there being a couple new teams but I’m also not a fan of Paris in general or the Red Wolves as a name (though I do like the logo). I say we find a nice European city that starts with an F, say the red wolf is a fox, and then we’re cooking with gravy.

Finland Foxes. That's right, we're claiming the country for this one. (Actually don't hate the idea, tbh. Also generally in favor of a 4/2 or 3/3 split old/new.)

14 hours ago, Victor said:

Frankfurt Foxes???

MORE Germany

Perfect, this doubles in my desires to cut Berlin Steel which is another one I’m apathetic on.

Read this one already, so might as well review it in turn.

8/10: I generally like articles that provide strong opinions and speak to topics that everybody's interested in, and you did that in spades here. Some of your opinions I agreed with (I'm not a Stockholm fan) and some of them I didn't (I actually like Rome), but regardless I enjoyed having an article that invited me to actively engage with it. A few minor mark downs here because the “bang out 500 words for TPE” trend rubs me the wrong way when it's stated explicitly - it takes away from the immersion of actually putting an interesting article out for discussion, and instead makes it seem more like a chore that you were trying to finish. I also wouldn't have minded a bit more attention paid to presentation - if you're talking about logos, I'd like to see them! But all in all nothing I can argue with too much here.

On 7/1/2021 at 1:26 PM, GustavMattias said:

—>Paris Revolution. I find the name incredibly tacky and don’t understand why really anyone finds it appealing. Singular team names are generally abstract (think Minnesota Wild or Orlando Magic), while “Revolution” takes a concrete thing and just tries to slap it onto a team’a branding. While we’re at it, let’s rebrand Prague to the “Defenestration” (look that one up if you missed it in your history classes). 

Them's fighting words, playa.