Last minute tips

jRuutu

ugcHBot.png

Thoughtful quote provided by InspiroBot.me

Greetings! The long season is over. You, as a draftee, have worked long and hard for this moment - the draft. As the main event is only around one week from now, you might be wondering what now? Is there something I should and could do to make myself look more appealing to teams? There is.  You can always do something and that is why I'm here. As a ''veteran'' user, I feel it's my duty to try and help other users.

As we are around one week from the draft, these methods are more on the optimistic side, but nevertheless worth a try if you are out of ideas.

1. Comment on teams and players publicly

You could visit a show of some kind or write an article where you share some carefully planned comments. For example, a hockey podcast could be an ideal way to get your message out there. The safest way to get as many eyes on you as possible is to use some edge in your comments. Teams and players are used to nice comments. They might not read your nice words at all, but what if you do the opposite? They will hear about it.

When someone asks what you think about this team and about the opportunity to play with that player, you reply by saying that the team is brutal and you don't know who the player is. This is a risky play as you might come off as a bit of a douchebag, but at the same time, teams and players love when you show some character. Some teams might think you are a douchebag, but the majority will appreciate your honesty.

5lQG6dU.png

2.  Refuse to take interviews

As teams keep contacting you and your agent about pre-draft interviews, this is your opportunity. The best option is to do nothing. Ignore their messages. They will think you are playing hard to get. This is almost a guaranteed way to grab the attention of teams. Especially if you are considered to be a prospect just behind the absolute bests of your draft class. Teams want to speak to you as every team wants to find a hidden gem. When you don't give them the opportunity, they start to wonder who is this player? This player must be some kind of special player. We better take the player before anyone else can.

If you are considered to be a ''top prospect'', this might be riskier as teams cant take any risks that a player who is expected to be a cornerstone in the lineup for years is not interested in joining the organization. They have to talk to you first and see where you are at. If you don't give them that opportunity, they will almost certainly take someone else. However, there is an opportunity. Instead of completely ignoring their requests, draw a kitty cat and send it to them. They will see that and think you are not only a talented player but also an artist? We better take the player before anyone else can.

3. Actively contact general managers

For whatever reason, you might not get that many interview invitations from teams. Do not worry, you can do something about it! You can find the contact information of each general manager and send them a message and ask for a chance to speak with the organization. For example, one e-mail every 8 hours or a private message in VHLforum.com. If and when they reply by offering you an invitation for an interview, read:  ''2. refuse to take interviews'' part above and continue from there.

Once you have waited at least 36 hours after they sent you the interview invitation. Send them another message and let them know you are interested in the interview. Once they send you a new invitation, read: ''2. refuse to take interviews'' part above and continue from there.  

You can do this at least a few times before the draft. The more you do it, the riskier the play is. Some teams might stop answering to you, but I would say the majority will wonder what is this player doing? Is this a code? What does it all mean? Keeps asking and ignoring, asking and ignoring. The player must have some talent we don't understand. We better take the player before anyone else can.

EJuGysZ.png

4. Don't take the draft combine seriously

Part of the whole getting drafted process is medical and fitness tests. Every draftee is ''tested'' before the draft. Every team sends their people to watch the tests. Read the next few words closely:  nobody likes a show-off. What you should do is show up while nursing a hangover and without any exercise equipment, so you are the only one who is running around with jeans on.

Some teams will frown upon that, but based on my experience, the opposite is most likely. The teams will see you, jeans on and in hangover, outperforming other draftees. In their eyes, that is a mark of a great athlete. They will, without a doubt, move you higher in their papers.

5. Outfit at the draft

The last thing you can do is to wear an outlandish outfit for the actual draft. The teams will, without a doubt, try to speak to some players at the draft event, so what you are wearing could very well be a difference-maker for some teams. Think of this as a visual version of ''1. Comment on teams and players publicly''. If you wear a nice suit, that is what is expected. Nobody will look at you twice. If you do the opposite, the majority of the teams will be impressed. They see your Ali-G or Miami Vice-themed outfit and they can't look away. They are mesmerized by your elegance and class.

Hopefully, these tips offered some ideas on what you can do. If you are not sure if these will work. My players have been drafted every single time over the years. I think my record is impressive enough and gives these tips credibility.

The draft is on July 18th, so not that much time left, but as many maybe know, trades can happen with picks and players moving around. Those moves can affect where and when you get picked. The only thing you can and should worry about is your own actions. If you read the points above and you have already tried all of those, there is not much left for you to do. Just relax and enjoy the draft experience!

(1086)

12.7 - 18.7

19.7 - 25.7

Reveiw:  I love this article - my kind of humor and formatted so it was super easy to scan.  I mean, lines like this are too good:  "If and when they reply by offering you an invitation for an interview, read:  ''2. refuse to take interviews'' part above and continue from there."  Nice to see an alternative to the useful kind of advice - though if you read it right (think opposite), you have great advice.  10/10

On 7/13/2021 at 6:05 AM, jRuutu said:

As teams keep contacting you and your agent about pre-draft interviews, this is your opportunity. The best option is to do nothing. Ignore their messages. They will think you are playing hard to get. This is almost a guaranteed way to grab the attention of teams. Especially if you are considered to be a prospect just behind the absolute bests of your draft class. Teams want to speak to you as every team wants to find a hidden gem. When you don't give them the opportunity, they start to wonder who is this player? This player must be some kind of special player. We better take the player before anyone else can.

If you are considered to be a ''top prospect'', this might be riskier as teams cant take any risks that a player who is expected to be a cornerstone in the lineup for years is not interested in joining the organization. They have to talk to you first and see where you are at. If you don't give them that opportunity, they will almost certainly take someone else. However, there is an opportunity. Instead of completely ignoring their requests, draw a kitty cat and send it to them. They will see that and think you are not only a talented player but also an artist? We better take the player before anyone else can.

ah the @rory strat