Hlozek Ready to taste VHL Playoff Action for First Time

Bojovnik

The Reign did it. They closed out their season strongly and booked their place in the playoffs for the first time in three seasons.

In all, the Reign finished S79 with a 37-30-5 record. The Latvian club will be disappointed that their form faltered around the trade deadline, as the Reign started the season as one of the hottest clubs in the VHL, sitting atop of the European Conference in the early stages of the campaign before they were overtaken by the Malmo Nighthawks.

Who are they up against? Well, the Warsaw Predators, one of the most impressive teams in the league over the second half of the season. The Polish club is blessed with depth throughout the roster and will look to offer a stern test for the Reign.

There were signs of optimism for the Reign in the final week of the season. The team's much-maligned second line suddenly burst into action, with Isau DaMoose having a career week, registering two hattricks in as many games.

Sophomore defenceman Jan Hlozek also turned on the style, scoring at over a point per game pace in the final 10 games of the season to finish the campaign with a new career high in points (11 + 43 – 54).

Speaking to CZHockey ahead of the start of the postseason, Hlozek said that he was excited to finally get to play in what many consider to be the pinnacle of global hockey.

"This is what we're here for right? We play to win titles, we play for glory, and there's no better place to do that in the playoffs, and I know that we are ready to put these two seasons behind us and do well this year.

"It was super disappointing to miss out on this opportunity last season. We knew we had to improve, and I think we still have a long way to go. However, I'm fully confident that this team has what it takes to mount a serious challenge," Hlozek said.

The Czech blueliner has experience of lifting champions before. A two-time Czech junior champion, Hlozek shone for the Miami Marauders in their S77 Founder's Cup win.

In that campaign, the Marauders faltered in their Quarter-Final match-up, requiring seven games to get past the San Diego Marlins. However, from then on, it was smooth sailing, as the South Beach club swept their opponents in both the Semi-Finals and the Final to win the VHLM title.

Reflecting on his past experiences, Hlozek said that winning this, as well as the World Junior Championships in S77, has given him valuable experience to take forward into this season.

"I'm a big believer in that you have to learn how to win. I mean, you have to know what it requires, the sacrifice, to win. It means that you have to learn how to play through injury, what it means to truly empty the tank. Not all guys know what it requires, so you have to know what it means to do the hard miles," Hlozek said.