My First (And Likely Only) VHLM Mock Draft! (S80)

JB123

Blitz Entertains Draft Pick Value Model – MML Blitz!

S80 VHLM Mock Draft

By: JB

Now that the Founder's Cup has been awarded (Congrats Miami:mia:) and the VHLM draft lottery has decided the order in which the bottom four teams will pick, it is time for my S80 VHLM mock draft, my first and likely only. And I say this because: San Diego has no firsts this season; so I will not be exposing our strategy or the players we want to draft. In the future when we do have 1st(s), that will be impossible. 

I have no inside information on any of these picks; rather this is purely based on the players available, and team needs. Ready? Let's get into it. 

#1 - Ottawa Lynx :ott:

The Red Menace, G

TPE: 152

Ranked: T-4th

Former Team: :phi:

Drafting arguably the best goaltender in the league heading into next season is just too good to pass up. I almost went with a forward like Brendan Marner or Kyosti Karjalainen, however there are a lot of forwards available in the first round, especially considering that Ottawa has both picks five and six. In 12 games with Philly, The Red Menace went 7-3-1 with a .906 save percentage and stellar 2.34 goals-against average, along with shutouts. If selected, look for The Red Menace to be a star goaltender for the Lynx. 

#2 - Houston Bulls :hou:

Kyosti Karjalainen, RW

TPE: 174

Ranked: 2nd

Former Team: :yuk:

With the second overall pick, I see new Bulls GM MattyIce taking Karjalainen. With Yukon this past season, Karjalainen managed to put up 37 goals and 35 assists for 72 points in 72 games, leading the Rush. Karjalainen would give Houston an impact player on offense, who will only build on a point-per-game season. 

#3 - Minnesota Storm :osl:

Nils Godlander, RW

TPE: 165 

Ranked: 3rd

Former Team: :osl:

At three I see Minnesota running it back with a waiver signing this past season, Nils Godlander. In 32 games, Godlander scored 13 goals and added 16 assists for 29 points. Recently getting the job of assistant general manager in Mexico City, Godlander would be a solid, safe pick that offers familiarity for both parties. 

#4 - Yukon Rush :yuk:

Brendan Marner, LW 

TPE: 179

Ranked: 1st 

Former Team: :sdm:

At fourth Yukon gets a steal with Brendan Marner, the top player in the draft TPE-wise. In 62 games with the Marlins, Marner scored a goal and 8 assists for 9 points. In the playoffs Marner had a goal in 5 contests. However, those totals are due to improve greatly with more ice time and development. Marner would likely slot in on the first line for the Rush in their quest for their second cup in three seasons. 

#5 - Ottawa Lynx :ott:

Finn Davis, C

TPE: 144

Ranked: 8th

Former Team::osl:

With their second pick in the top 5, Ottawa selects the best center available, Finn Davis. Davis is primed for a breakout season, even more than this past season when they scored 75 points (31 goals, 44 assists) in 72 games with the Storm. Davis gives the Lynx a #1 center, which is important considering they don't have any centers on their roster as of now. 

#6 - Ottawa Lynx :ott:

Juice Box, D

TPE: 142

Ranked: T-9th

Former Team: :ssk:

Right back on the clock at #6, the Lynx go with a defender this time, Juice Box. In 72 games with the Wild in Season 79, Box put up 62 points, including 25 goals on the back end. Box also blocked 122 shots, 95 hits and 7 game-winning goals. In the postseason, Box had 9 points (1 goal, 8 assists) in 11 games. Box would further bolster Ottawa's blueline. 

#7 - Yukon Rush :yuk:

Harkat Mulds, C

TPE: 142

Ranked: T-9th

Former Team: :yuk:

I don't see Yukon passing on Mulds, a center whom they signed late in the season. With no players up front yet, Mulds gives them a #1 center for their cup run. In 9 games with the Rush, Mulds posted 7 points (3 goals, 4 assists). Look for the duo of Mulds and Marner to light up the league for Yukon. 

#8 - Houston Bulls :hou:

Nico Pearce, LW

TPE: 152

Ranked: T-4th

Former Team: :hfx:

Somehow still on the board at eight, Houston gets a steal of a pick in Pearce. In 10 games with the 21st last season, Pearce scored 14 points (6 goals, 8 assists), and added 6 more (3 goals, 3 assists) in 5 playoff games. Coming out of an agency that includes elite defender Alex Letang, Pearce gives the Bulls a dynamic duo up front with Karjalainen.

#9 - Mexico City Kings :mck:

Matt Avens, LW

TPE: 151

Ranked: 6th

Former Team: :ssk:

Patience is a virtue, right? No need to move up; just like Pearce fell into the Bulls lap, so does Avens, this time to the Kings. In 72 games last season with Saskatoon, Avens scored 27 goals and dished 41 apples for 68 points. Avens added 8 points, including 6 goals, in 11 postseason games. Avens gives Mexico City a terrific scoring threat. 

#10 - Halifax 21st :hfx:

Zaza Colors, RW

TPE: 146

Ranked: 7th

Former Team: :hfx:

Unable to bring back both Pearce and Colors, Halifax does manage to pick Colors back up. A late waiver signing, Colors scored 7 goals and 7 assists for 14 points in 10 games. In the playoffs they produced 5 points (3 goals, 2 assists) in 5 games. Ready to take the next step, Colors would lead Halifax in S80.

#11 - Minnesota Storm:osl:

Cameron Elsby, D

TPE: 119

Ranked: 15th

Former Team: :mis:

With their second pick of the first round, Minnesota takes the best defender available, Cameron Elsby. Even though they have the second pick of the second round, 14, it is just too risky to wait and hope Elsby isn't taken. In 10 games with the Mississauga Hounds this past season, Elsby didn't score a point but blocked 8 shots and had 14 hits. During the Hounds' run to the Final, Elsby had 2 assists, 12 shot blocks and 26 hits. I expect Elsby to have a big year with more responsibility. 

#12 - Yukon Rush :yuk:

Austin Towbaker, RW 

TPE: 125

Ranked: T-12th

Former Team: :ott:

I was tempted to say Yukon takes a defender here, but considering they pick at 16, 19 and 22 I think they complete their top line. Towbaker adds scoring and solid all-around play as well as chemistry with Karjalainen, as they are both on the Brigade in the Junior Showcase. In 56 games with Ottawa this past season, Towbaker put up 22 goals and 19 assists for 41 points. A top line of Marner, Mulds and Towbaker could and would be deadly. 

Good luck to all those involved in this season's dispersal draft, it should be interesting to say the least. I did the best I could with these predictions, but who knows how it'll turn out. There could very well be trades, reaches, drops and the like. Thank you for reading!

Word Count: 1145

review: Good media spot, seeing a VHLM mock draft is interesting just because it doesn't carry as much weight since a lot of these top draft picks won't even be there after the one season. Regardless you did a great job with the color coding for the teams, I like that you included position, TPE, rank and even the previous team they played for. I like that you took the time to type out a bit of a recap of their previous season to including performance. Could have included the team banners but the icons are nice. 9.5/10

Great mock draft, I see that you have put in a lot of work. I enjoyed that you used different colours for every team - it helps for reading. Although some people could get scared away from all of those colours, but I quite enjoy them. I would recommend putting some picture in between the text to liven the text up and not make it seem like a big block of text. Great mock draft and good luck in the draft <3! 

9/10