The Art of the M

Grape

The VHLM, on a season to season basis, is extremely volatile. You’ll see the top team in the league one season become a complete bottom feeder the next and back to superstardom the season after that. The idea of sustainable success is not attempted nor is it viable. The majority of players are in that league for 2-3 seasons. There is no such thing as a consistent core. The strategy implemented by most successful VHLM GMs is as follows:

1- Let’s say your team is middle of the pack, you will likely make the playoffs, but you will not be at all successful in them. Because of this reality, you decide to sell off most of the team, only leaving those who will be around for 1-2 more seasons

2 - Through the players you traded away, you acquire a ton of picks, some for this upcoming draft, some for the next one. Your team plummets in the standings and you become a bottom feeder

3 - Finishing near the bottom of the league, your own draft picks will be very high. You use those draft picks and those obtained to draft a ton of players

4 - This is where it comes down to actual player development. There are two different paths this could go down

a - Players develop at a usual pace, and you have a legitimate team. If this is the case, continue to step 5

b - Players do not develop at a usual pace, so your team is still mediocre. If this is the case, go back to step 1

5 - Now that your team is successful, and you’re pushing the top of the standings, it’s time to add those final pieces that’ll push you over the edge. Trade away nearly all your lesser developed but promising players and draft picks for closer to max TPE players to make you a juggernaut.

6 - Probably lose in the playoffs to a team that’s weaker on paper, or win it all, but most likely lose because the sim hates you.

7 - Most of your players are now in the VHLE or VHL, and your team looks to be pretty awful next season. Trade away players that have one season left in the minors for some draft picks to both solidify you as a bottom feeder as well as give the players leaving another shot at the championship. Go back to step 2.

There have been very few teams that are consistently top teams in the VHLM, but it has happened. These consistently good teams, not just mediocre, but actually GOOD, is what separates the VHLM GMs, to potential top tier VHL GMs. The VHL is where you have a consistent core to build around. You’re not one and done in that league, unlike the VHLM. Now, I’m not talking down to the VHLM GMs. They’re building a team to win, so it’s fair that they’d use the most effective strategy. I’m fairly certain, if placed into the VHL, they would adjust accordingly. I’m merely saying that the ability to show consistency in a heavily inconsistent league is super special.

Edited by Grape
Looked like poop when transferring over from Google Docs

Pretty short media spot but it was in that spot where it was too long to be a article and too short to be a media spot so I said screw it and made it longer. Really wanted to do something else instead but oh well I'll do it next week damnit

REVIEW

Really interesting article! As a noob in this league it's nice having someone experienced share their viewpoint of the VHLM method, though to you this may seem obvious I find it really interesting. My biggest gripe is the formatting. I think you changed the default font color, because the text is black even on darkmode, so I had to turn light mode on to read it - and the formatting overall was so-so, but that's just nitpicking.

Fun article! 7.5/10

This is a very clear and typical picture of what happens in the VHLM most of the time lol. I like how you numbered the different steps and added a small twist by adding section a and b and having to go back to step 1. The font is a little wonky and almost looks as if every word is 50% bolded. I would maybe add a title and add some boldness to really highlight the numbers on the steps. Great read overall! 8/10