Changing of the Guard

Renomitsu

Over the last several weeks, we've seen a handful of GMs elect to step down - from diamond_ace calling it quits after he finishes this season out with Prague to (apparently) Hylands stepping back from his role on Malmo, this season seems to be no different. Over the last few seasons, we've seen quite a few long-standing GMs move on to greener pastures, from Victor with Moscow to Beaviss/fonzi on Vancouver and Esso on New York, it'd seem as though just about half the league is going through some kind of leadership transition within the last half-dozen seasons.

As I'm deliberating on what to do for Aloe's swan song, I find myself more and more uncertain with whether she'll opt for another go at free agency or stick with one of her old teams. Warsaw is in a clear rebuilding mode, while D.C. is aging into its twilight. But with fewer overall familiar faces in leadership positions in the league and this season being one of my last for a little while, I think finding a locker room with some leadership and players I'm familiar with will be increasingly important.

I do hope that the more recently selected GMs stick around for a good while - sim leagues are oft-lacking in stability and VHL has been something of a rock for me for nigh-on a decade now.