The Solution to All of Your Whining Was Just Attempted and None of You Even Noticed

Gustav

You ungrateful swine!

Imagine my surprise when I opened up our lovely forum at the lovely hour of 1:30 in the morning to find that our lovely VHFL scoring system has been changed by none other than our lovely @Spartan. Now, imagine my surprise when I opened Discord and skimmed through for 10 seconds to find nobody talking about it. And further imagine how I felt when I saw no reactions on the thread and only a handful of views (some nonzero percentage of which were just me because I keep closing the tab for no reason). 

And, equally importantly, imagine my rage upon realizing that being someone who usually knows who to pick to take advantage of the current system no longer matters and I might start to suck at fantasy.

Do I like it yet? I remain unconvinced until we see a few seasons of this. But, I consider it a fair response to the constant stream of articles about how all of VHFL needs to be burned to the ground. In the past, I've taken a more conservative stance on the scoring system--I haven't hated it at all, but I have acknowledged that hits and blocked shots are just a little too powerful in some cases. Some very short points because this is a .com article and I'd like to finish before 2:

-I like that +/- is a factor. In just about any other context I think it's a garbage stat and I prefer to ignore it, but this helps to address the "I'm picking this player because they're a decent player on a bad team" meta.

-I don't like how extremely biased defenseman scoring is towards offense. In my opinion--make hits and (especially) shots blocked powerful for defensemen, but also make +/- more of a factor. Actual defensive play should be rewarded, not going 40/99 and only caring about goals.

-Did the value of hits go up? I thought it was 0.2 before, and if it was, that confuses me. Hits counting for much of anything was something some people found completely unacceptable for some reason, so this seems like a weird move to make.

As a whole, don't know yet, will need time to evaluate. But there are things I like...and if you really cared and weren't just jumping on the "I didn't win my VHFL group this season so now we need to kill everyone" train, you should be legitimately excited about this.

Edited by GustavMattias

• Gustav changed the title to The Solution to All of Your Whining Was Just Attempted and None of You Even Noticed
  • Commissioner

@Spartan ran the numbers quite a bit to end up with the formula decided on, he also retroactively applied it back several seasons to see what would happen. What we found is that defensemen are definitely still strong, and often the same defensemen are still strong, but the "good player on a bad team" mentality is mitigated a bit, especially thanks to +/-. Goalies are also a lot less based on just facing a million shots regardless of how well they actually do and forwards can actually hold their own a bit in the top spots.

It's possible we'll gather more data and tweak the values more after a few seasons but I think on the whole this should balance out at least a bit better than it did before. And yes, most people didn't notice, probably because it was in the rules post and they already figured they knew the rules. A few other things were added in there as well, though nothing overly substantial.

Yeah nothing is set in stone, this was all based on data from S75 through S80.

Lot of small points brought up by Gus and Bek that I will definitely cover, most likely in a media spot after work today! For now though, I appreciate the quick thoughts and the positive reception it's gotten so far 🙂

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Nykonax said:

i won so great change!

1 hour ago, Minion said:

I lost but I still like the change 

These new rules had nothing to do with this season, they are moving forward.