Toronto Still Lindbergh's Goal

Doomsday

Toronto Still Lindbergh's Goal

31899251774_c956c1bd1e_b.jpg

VASTERAS - As the Vasteras Iron Eagles prepare for a decisive Game Seven against the Stockholm Vikings, there's an extra layer of preparation involved for goaltender Oskar Lindbergh. With Xavier Booberry again the scheduled starter, Lindbergh will need to be prepared to go at a moment's notice. That being said, there is more at stake for the young Swedish netminder, whose stint in the VHLE has not exactly gone to plan. 

With the aforementioned Booberry, another top goalie prospect of the Season 80 draft class, also drafted to the Vasteras Iron Eagles, the odds were against Lindbergh to play much, especially after ramping his focus on learning English. His play in net suffered, further cementing Booberry's status as the established starting netminder. However, after committing to improving his goaltending abilities, Lindbergh finally began to show the ability that made him the fourth overall selection by the Toronto Legion. Despite his seasonal numbers still looking unsightly, Lindbergh's performance late in the season finally showcased what he was capable of, highlighted by a start against the Stockholm Vikings where he saved 42 of 44 shots and picked up the win. 

"That game was huge for me," said Lindbergh about the win over the Vikings. "After my struggles early in the season, to get a chance against a talented team like that and to play that well and get the win, it showed me that I do have what it takes to be successful. There's still a long way to go, but it did wonders for my confidence going forward."

Jesper.jpg

While Lindbergh would be primed to have a stellar season in the VHLE in Season 81, his sights are set higher than that. The Toronto Legion currently have no goaltenders on their active roster, with Lindbergh himself the only one in the team's entire system. In his eyes, Lindbergh's future is crystal clear. 

"I'm going to Toronto next season to start, no doubt in my mind," Lindbergh affirmed. "During my struggles, they could have easily brought in someone else, and they didn't. Toronto believes in me, and I'm doing everything I can to be prepared to be their guy in net next season. The team has a lot riding on me being what they believe I am, and I look forward to showing them that they were absolutely right to believe in me and stick with me through everything."

With a wealth of draft picks in the upcoming Season 81 VHL Entry Draft, the Toronto Legion have plenty of building left to do. With two stud forwards in Asher Reinhart and Matty Fire already on the active roster, Toronto also has exciting prospects looking to make the jump to the VHL in Kyle Peace, Jakub Brozik, and Armani Calamari. However, they are all forwards, and Tony Adams appears to be the only viable defenseman in Toronto's farm currently. While the top prospects in the upcoming draft class are forwards, there are still several quality blue liners that the Legion certainly have their eye on. 

Samuel-Ersson.jpg

If Oskar Lindbergh intends to make the leap to the VHL as expected, it will almost certainly be his most trying season yet. With Toronto's defensive core still up in the air, it will certainly require Lindbergh to be on his game every night in order to keep the Legion in games. General Manager Rylan Peace certainly isn't going to roll with a defensive group quite like this season's, but Lindbergh's resiliency will certainly be put to the test in Season 81.

"No, I don't expect it to be easy," Lindbergh added. "But making the VHL was always the ultimate goal, and playing in the VHL, nothing is ever easy there. I'm going to have to be tough from day one, and when those better times do come… I'll be more than ready for them."

Jethro Novacek is a writer for the MSFL Times, an ancient, award-winning publication that covers the very best and worst of the simulation sports world. He enjoys a nice mug of tea in the morning, fighting against Christmas' illegal occupation of November, and the euphoria of Atlanta's World Series victory.

Review: 10/10

I know the VHLE season probably hasn't been what you've expected, but it's been a lot of fun having you on the team either way. And here's to hoping we all get sent off with a title! The article itself was very well-written, as to be expected with your writing. A quick and easy read, and I didn't notice anything off grammar-wise on a first runthrough. The presentation with the photos, headline and dateline is solid, plus I always love the bio at the end. Excellent stuff here, and best of luck in Toronto next season!