''I'm gonna pack it up, I'm gonna give it up'' - Freddie King

jRuutu

Calgary Wranglers have lost the last 12 games. The Wranglers started the season extremely well. The Wranglers were high in the standings. At one point, Calgary had a 9-1 run. What is going on now? What is the reason behind such a turn in form? I met with Calgary Wrangler's defender Erlantz Jokinen yesterday. He answered some questions for me.

Erlantz, what is going on in Calgary?

EJ: These things happen in hockey. You start the season well, but then, for whatever reason, the wins are not coming. Some games have been tighter than others, but it does not change the fact that we have not won a game in a long time. Without the great start to the season, I don't think we would be in the playoff race right now. That just goes to show how important off-season and the training camp can be. If you have a positive off-season and you get the players ready to play early on - that can even save your season.

There have been some rumors around the league that older players in the team are on the trade block, is that true?

EJ: Earlier this week, the GM came to the locker room and announced to us that all the older guys will be on the block if we don't start winning more. I don't know if that was just an intimidation tactic or a move to put some fire under our asses. I don't have a feeling anybody is actively asking out. As I said, we are still in the playoff race. Still, I'm not going to lie, after the GM talked to the older players like that, I walked up to him and asked if I could be put on the block as well. I tried to explain that I'm not an old plow horse like some of the others, I'm a stallion. The GM just looked at me and walked off.

I know the VHL world pretty well. I have been traded a few times already. The owners are not happy to lose. The GMs and coaches are not happy to lose. The players are not happy to lose. Nobody is safe when losing streaks keep going. That is why I already packed all my bags after we lost the third time in a row. I told my agent to start looking for houses in other cities. Better to be prepared. Things can happen fast.

Remains to be seen what happens, but right now we are all here and working hard to turn this run around.

Do you think you can turn it around?

EJ: I think so. I mean, look at the run we had earlier in the season. We won a lot of games, we were one of the hottest teams in the league. That is something that doesn't come from luck. We have enough skill and talent in this roster to at very least win 50% of the games we have lost during this poor run. I don't know if it's just terrible puck luck, too many penalties and individual errors, or a combination of all of those, but we can play better.

Calgary Wranglers season continues today with a game against Seattle Bears.  Calgary won the first two games of the season, but Seattle won the latest one.  Can Calgary finally put an end to the losing streak? Stay tuned and find out, it will be a interesting game!