Random New Year Question

Gustav

Something occurred to me tonight while I was sitting on someone's couch, somewhere. Here on the East Coast of America, just about everyone watches the ball drop live from Times Square in New York. It's (I think) national TV, with hours of hype leading up to it, lots of live music, and this year...the new mayor of NYC being sworn in right after midnight on the broadcast for some reason.

For those of you in other places in the world, what do you watch? I know there's a big thing that's similar in Sydney and another in London. But what if you're not in one of these time zones? If you live in California, is there an LA ball drop everyone watches? What about if you're Canadian? What if you're living in CST or MST or something? Is there a middle-of-nowhere-Kansas event that everyone tunes into? Or do you just watch the New York one like us normal people in the East? Or do you just not watch anything at all and count down on your own?

Happy 2022 to all!

I’m in the same time zone and yet, I don’t know anyone here who watch the ball drop. Here in Quebec the big tradition is to watch something named "Bye Bye 2021" (2022 next year… you get the drill) which is a 1 hour and an half show with parodies of basically everything that happened in the year. The funniest part of it is that we get disappointed every years but still watch it.

Edited by Dom

Just now, Dom said:

I’m in the same time zone and yet, I don’t know anyone her who watch the ball drop. Here in Quebec the big tradition is to watch something named "Bye Bye 2021" (2022 next year… you get the drill) which is a 1 hour and an half show with parodies of basically everything ghat happened in the year. The funniest part of it is that we get disappointed every years but still watch it.

So Quebec has YouTube Rewind. Got it.

2 hours ago, Dom said:

I’m in the same time zone and yet, I don’t know anyone here who watch the ball drop. Here in Quebec the big tradition is to watch something named "Bye Bye 2021" (2022 next year… you get the drill) which is a 1 hour and an half show with parodies of basically everything that happened in the year. The funniest part of it is that we get disappointed every years but still watch it.

So same as being a Habs fan then? (pls don't kill me)

In Sweden there is always an event at the stage at the Zoo "Skansen" That's right next to Avicii Arena. Usually the cast are your average bland Swedish celebrities and some decent Swedish artists putting on a show for however many hours. Then there is the same poem being read every single year. It's supposed to finish right at 10 seconds to midnight and go straight into the countdown and fireworks. But they fuck it up every single year and end up standing there just looking silly and trying to fill air for 1-2 minutes. Some watch the whole thing, a lot of people only tune in for the poem, the awkward silence and the countdown.

We watch 'Dinner for One' every NYE but that is about it. I think Swiss television broadcasts the President's New Year's speech, but I have never listened to/watched it, as I do not give a (enter profanity of your choice). We rather watch the fireworks outside and have some smores on the open fire...

I'm in central US time zone and I'm sure the NY ball drop is on TV somewhere but I don't know if I have ever watched it.  I don't really watch anything in particular for New Years.  I don't really count down to it either.  It's not something I make a big deal out of.

30 minutes ago, Garsh said:

I'm in central US time zone and I'm sure the NY ball drop is on TV somewhere but I don't know if I have ever watched it.  I don't really watch anything in particular for New Years.  I don't really count down to it either.  It's not something I make a big deal out of.

i've watched at at least two high school musical movies on NYE for the past three years. idc about the countdown, i just like that i created a tradition that disappoints my parents

Just now, fishy said:

i've watched at at least two high school musical movies on NYE for the past three years. idc about the countdown, i just like that i created a tradition that disappoints my parents

At the end of the day, that's all we can really hope for.

4 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

At the end of the day, that's all we can really hope for.

I guess Fishy's approach is way more healthy than getting hammered like I used to do when I was in adolescence... not very successful either as my mom considered it as part of growing up and my dad just said 'Well, you will be the one to do all the puking and suffering through headaches, good luck with that'... so yeah, good job @fishy for not being as stupid as I was (or maybe still am, who knows)...

22 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

I guess Fishy's approach is way more healthy than getting hammered like I used to do when I was in adolescence... not very successful either as my mom considered it as part of growing up and my dad just said 'Well, you will be the one to do all the puking and suffering through headaches, good luck with that'... so yeah, good job @fishy for not being as stupid as I was (or maybe still am, who knows)...

i never said i didn't drink, i just said that i watch high school musical every year

there's nothing quite like dancing around your living room to Bop to the Top looking a poisoned, dying snake, knowing that you're nailing every single lyric, and savoring the knowledge that no one could literally ever compete with your energy

Edited by fishy

12 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

For those of you in other places in the world, what do you watch?

not really other place but I watch New York then Nashville because I am in CST outside of Nashville when I'm not at college.

On 1/1/2022 at 1:22 AM, GustavMattias said:

For those of you in other places in the world, what do you watch? 

So I live in Central and on CNN, after Anderson Cooper and the other person go to bed, CNN cuts to New Orleans, and there's a guy named Don Lemon who hosts it. This year, he and 2 randos were acting completely drunk in addition to him (first thing we hear when we turn it on: "I'm a grown-ass man...), who was not only drunk but also drinking gin and tonic. There were 2 guys with disco ball heads behind them and the hosts kept throwing Mardi Gras jewels all over the place.

We then got to see an interview of the Village People, 1 of whom knows how to sing YMCA, and after some more Drunk Don & co before flashing to a performance by Earth Wind & Fire that ended 20 seconds away from 2022. The hosts were counting down from 15 when there was 5 seconds to new year's, and than Don Lemon came out of a cardboard lemon cake to celebrate New Year's.

6th rate at best