The Top VHL Prospects From Every Organization | Ep. 1 - Calgary Wranglers

lidz

One of the main reasons I enjoy hockey is watching new players grow. It makes a new season just that much more exciting, seeing which rookies are truly great, which rookies are busts, and which rookies come out of nowhere to steal the spotlight. This excitement is no different in the VHL, while we can see the specific attributes to each player, all of our fates are still at the hands of the simulator.

(Note: This list is in no particular order)

The Red Menace :rus: | G | 6'6, 190lb

Boasting an incredible stat-line, Menace has quickly risen the rankings of the Wranglers in their first year with the franchise. Playing with the Istanbul Red Wolves, the Russian native had a record of 32-14-4, while maintaining a .925 SV%. Menace is also a solid weekly earner, never gaining less than 5 points in a given week. 

Despite their early success, getting a spot on the Calgary roster as a goalie is going to be tough for Menace. Their starter, Sirkants Klamasteris has had a very long and successful career, and with another season on their contract, they don't seem to be going anywhere for a season. This leaves the expiring contract of Dexter Vaughn, the backup, to be the only opening in the Calgary lineup. This doesn't mean that it's a free pass for Menace to get a roster spot next season. Fellow Wranglers prospect Alex Parise will be hungry for that spot as well, they've spent 2 years in the VHLE, and have been very consistent with a .917 average between those 2 years. 

Overall, Menace is going to be a future VHL starter, although we might not see him for the next few seasons if he stays in the Calgary system.

Alex Parise :can: | G | 6'8, 205lb

The S79 draftee comes next on this list. Parise has spent their last 2 seasons with Bratislava, where they have been stuck behind starter Orion D H Chiester IX in both years. Despite their small portion size, however, they have shown good talent in their games played.
     Over Parise's 2 seasons with Bratislava, they have a record of 33-17-4, with a .917 SV%. As mentioned before, Parise's path to the Calgary roster is fighting for that backup spot against Menace. Despite Parise's contract expiring in this off-season, I don't expect Calgary to let Parise go into free agency. Their career just started, and they haven't had the chance to showcase themselves enough in the VHLE. Compared to Menace, I think the Russian just edges out Parise, despite the 50 point TPE gap in favor of Parise. 
     Overall, I see Parise becoming a fringe starter in the VHL if they keep up this level of TPE earning over the next few seasons. We definitely won't see this Canadian in the VHL for the next few years, unless Calgary decides to trade one of their goalie prospects, which isn't entirely impossible.  

Daniel Janser :swi: | LW | 5'8, 183lb

The final prospect on this list is Daniel Janser, the Swiss-born winger. In his first season in the VHLE, after being drafted 8th overall in the VHL draft, he scored 69 points in 72 games. Janser's 2-Way play is the most significant aspect of his game. Even some defenseman don't rack up 215 hits in a season. 
     Janser's path to the VHL would be very tough to make in this offseason. The Wranglers are currently running a 6-4-2, meaning Janser would have to slot in on the 2nd line of forwards, where he could replace veteran left-winger Pekko Viitanen. Viitanen is a free agent this offseason, after putting up 59 points in 72 games. The difference in TPE between the two is vast, however, and Janser needs to grow his TPE bank by around 200 to be able to match Viitanen. That is why Janser will not make the VHL roster in S82, instead bursting onto the premier scene in S83 and being a part of the new Calgary core.
     Overall, Janser is going to be a VHL level winger in a few short seasons, and will probably grow to be an elite playmaker, only if he keeps up his max earnings every week.

That’s the kind of article that I love. I love prospect reports in real life and the vhl one and this one is good. The structure of the text is good and it’s well-specified which player you’re going to talk about, maybe tag the player. I know people love when an article talks about themselves. Menace and Parise are well done, but I personally think they are going to be just ready at the right time when both Calgary Wranglers' goalies are going to retire. For Janser he is going to make the team for sure next season because he has passed 400 Tpe, but I love how you compare him with Viitanen who Janser is probably going to replace. 7/10 

122 words I think that enough 😂

I see that you are still relatively new to our community, so I'm glad to see great work like this being done. It's formatted wonderfully with the names of each player, their nationality, position, height and weight all very obvious. It looks clean in that regard. I really appreciate the indenting that you did here, but in the future I would add a space between your paragraphs. As @Lemorse7said I would also be sure to tag the player's user. That helps with traffic to your article and everyone loves reading about their own player! Finally, It may help the graders if you include your word count and when you are claiming it. So, assuming you are claiming this article for the week ending 16 January 2022 you could do this at the end of the article:

---

xxxx words, claiming week ending 16 January 2022

Overall, this is a great article and I'd say it's an 8/10

review time: This is a really good idea and I look forward to you covering other teams in the future. For the first episode as you call it I think you did well, good formatting and well spaced. Good amount of coverage for each prospect along with the stats. I like that you took the time to do the color coding for the players name, position and size. I do find the lack of overall draft position and draft season to be odd. I think making it bold would help it stand out a bit more to. Finally I think just having a picture at the top would be a nice fit, to set the stage so to speak. Overall very good 7.5/10