Prague Phantoms S82 Draft

Gaikoku-hito

893465500_AsktheBouchLogo.jpg.45fcd75ef36ae581ca15fa30dba626a5.jpg

Here we are on the eve of a new season and I feel like the off season has actually be very short this season but that I think is more my issue then anyone else since I am the one super busy. I am disappointed that I missed this season draft and I didn`t even get a chance to scout players this year by reading other managers Pre-drafts and then trying to figure out my own draft ratings.  Since the draft has already been completed I will take my completely unbiased look at the newly Drafted players of the Prague Phantoms. We will see where this goes:

Season Eighty two draft seen the Prague Phantoms select seven players and stated above I didn`t have a chance to do any pre-scouting of these players so here are my initial thoughts about the selection, players and the futures:

Perry Laperriere 5`8” 172 lbs (PHI / OTT)

Selected First round with the Eleven selection Perry Laperriere is very much an under sized player that will relay on his speed and agility to create room for himself. While he has been able to do this effectively in the VHLM with the Championship winning Ottawa Lynx scoring thirty-six goals and fifty-seven assist for ninety-three points; his lack of size might be a concern for the small center. “One could imagine that as the players get bigger and strong this center might have issues in strength on strength situations. He should struggle in the face-off dot and I could see a future move to the wing to shelter this player and allow his speed to determine the play,” stated one scout when asked about the players projection. We should know sooner then later since Perry should be a one and done in the VHLE with Geneva Rush. His development this season will be closely watched with expectation that Perry should join the Prague Phantom the following season if the player doesn`t have any set backs. Also a key note is who his player manager is in kaleebtheMighty as this might see this player take all concern crumple them in a small ball and throw them in the trash.

Projection: Speed scoring center or winger that should be a staple on the first or second line.

Jared Carter the 2st 6`8” 236 lbs (OTT)

Selected Second round with the twenty-seventh selection Jared Carter is a massive, big defender that has possibility to be strong shut down defender that makes players think twice before going into the corners with this hulky defender. Concern around this player is the hulk or the bulk as Carter weighs in at 236 lbs and might have issues keeping up with quick footed smaller forwards similar to Prague first round selection in Perry Laperriere. “He currently has issues turning with the quicker players and can be beaten outside. This wasn`t a concern last season in the VHLM but this might become a huge issue for this huge defender at the next level,” added as scout when asked about the size of Jared Carter the 2st. This player looks like he might have a bit more aging to complete as most young defenders tend to have so the expectation is he will spend two season in the VHLE with The Istanbul Red Wolves but could get a look in the VHL with Prague early due to need or depth issues with the team.

Projection: Top four pairing & Top Pairing Option

Bobby Rockwell 5`11” 171 lbs (HFX/LVA/PHI)

Selected in the third round with the thirty-fifty selection Bobby Rockwell is an under-sized defender that has a bit of a mean streak with eighty-six penalty minutes in his first seventy-two games in the VHLM. The expectation for this player would to be find some marked improvements in his first pass ability and leading his new team Philadelphia Reapers up the ice during the attack. To be able to do this effectively Rockwell require a bit of self-check keeping his tempt in check more often as being in the box won’t benefit his team as much as if the Rockwell can stay on the ice. “This player is like a pitbull. He likes to play with a bit of bite and makes forwards think twice before trying to beat him one on one or dump the puck into his corner. He needs to control this a bit more but without taking away from something that has made him successful at the lower levels. His size and lack of ability to skate and pass the puck is also a bit of a concern. As one would expect a player of such size to be much better at both compared to larger players at the same level,” added an scout when asked about the feisty Rockwell. The general belief here is that Bobby Rockwell is an longer term project and is still at least three season from seeing any time with Prague Phantoms.

Projection: Top four pairing

Jeff Buffy 6`5” 235 lbs (SSK)

Selected in the third round with the forty-third selection Jeff Buffy becomes the third defender that Prague Phantoms have selected out of the first four selection clearly showing the teams value on defenders not to mention adding a second hulk defender to the mix. Much like Prague’s second round selection of Jared Cater the 2st; Buffy is only a bit smaller at six foot five but just as hulky at two hundred and thirty-five pounds. “He is a young and less developed version of Jared Carter the 2st. He has a bit more speed and can lead an attack from the back end either with his first pass ability or skating ability,” added a scout when asked about Buffy. Interesting aspect about this player is the fact that he should be ready to retire in the next few season due to his age of thirty-seven but you only feel as young as you play. Buffy was clearly exposed last season while playing in Saskatoon with the Wild taking a massive one hundred and six penalties and sadly finish the season with a impressively bad minus twenty five while putting up an very respectable fifty seven points. “Foot speed is a bit of a concern and he doesn`t have the size to keep the players from cutting back to the middle on him so he will take more time then some might like before he is ready for the VHL, “ added another scout when he heard whom we were discussing with the other scout. Again Jeff Buffy should be a bit of a longer term project with another full season in the VHLM ahead before he joins Istanbul Red Wolves in the VHLE giving Prague a very good look at the possible twin towers of their future defense as Buffy should join Jared Carter the 2st giving Istanbul an impressively imposing defenders.

Projection: Top four pairing or depth option.

Anton Bielas 6`1” 200 lbs (MEX/LAS)

Selected in the fourth round and one of two back to back picks for the Prague Phantoms at fifty-ninth overall Anton Bielas is expected to lead the attack for the Las Vegas Aces this season as they look to make a run at the Founder`s Cup. “His numbers aren`t that much different from another Prague player in Robert Bouchard when he was selected with the twenty-four selection back in season seventy-five but the big difference was the pace in which Bouchard developed,” added one scout when asked about the newly drafted Prague prospect. “If this player could find away to start developing faster he could become a dominate player in the VHL and Prague could end up with a huge steal,” continued the scout. The two way winger has an good base to build off but needs to find a bit more offensive aspect to his game as he leads the offense for the Aces this season in the VHLM. Again this player is a bit of a project as he will be a few season away before looking to crack the lineup in the VHL with Prague.

Projection: VHLE Depth forward  

Sean Murphy 6`4” 220 lbs (PHI/SSK)

Selected in the fourth round at the sixtieth selection right behind Bielas, Prague has one again looked at the bulking up the team in the future adding the six foot four Sean Murphy to the prospect pool. “These are the players that are harder to project as they have decent skills but just lack overall finish across the board even at the VHLM level so they could turn into complete stars if they find the correct development path and start developing quickly,” added on scout while looking at his notes on Sean Murphy. “He has great play-making ability that most players have gone away from (cough cough Meta cough) but his positioning defensively is lacking so a bit more focus on the two-hundred-foot game wouldn`t hurt this player. It will place him in better position to add more points to his game while helping the team overall defensively,” continued the scout. Again, this player is a longer term project and should play this season and maybe even a second season in the VHLM with Saskatoon Wild before looking to move to the VHLE.

Projection: VHLE Depth forward

Atticus Gremory 5`11” 140 lbs (PHI)

The last selected player by the Prague Phantoms in the Season eighty-two draft seen them select in the fifth round with the seventy-fifth selection Atticus Gremory another player that has great playmaking ability but lacks overall finish. “He is a bit of a push over. The nice guy on the ice and plays as such so it was impressive that he accidentally bumped into thirty something players last year. He simply is too nice to be an effective player. Lacks offensive fight and defensive positioning all down to the nice guy syndrome he has,” added one very critical scout. Overall build of the player is hurt by the discipline stats being almost as high as his passing ability. Have seen worse players turn around a weaker build but will take a lot of development knowledge and a quicker development path. Still a very new player and too hard to project where this players build might be in a season or two. Should play the full season in Philadelphia with the Reapers.

Projection: VHLE Depth Forward

Prague Phantoms Prospect Pool:

Before the season eighty-two draft Pragues` prospect pool was rather empty with; if I remember correct and the data suggest; only two prospects. Season seventy-nine selection defender Ben Aky, who when selected was projected to be the big bruising defender that could aid the forwards with either his smooth skating or his first pass ability but somewhere along the along the line this players development fell off complete. Okay, I mean it more or less looked like the players development smashed into a tree but we like to try to keep things looking somewhat rosey around here. Ben Aky is more or likely never going to dress for Prague Phantoms and that has been more then a huge disappointment for many within the organization when they selected this player in the second round at the twenty-seventh spot. Luckily the team other two selection ahead of Aky have made the Phantoms roster in Baby Bob and John Baard.

The other player on the list was Nayt Bedard and proves that Prague should always trade away the twenty-seventh pick since onces again this prospect deleopment came to a crashing halt in the VHLM and hasn`t played a game since season eighty with Mississauga. Again this player as a second round is a complete bust.

By adding seven new players to the prospect pool must feel good for GM Acydburn but he will need at least a few of these prospect to pan out if Prague is going to continue their current playoff appearances streak. At the end Prague looks to have accomplished what they needed by refilling the prospect depth charts and only time will tell whom will come out of this draft and play for the team.

I would like to finish that I am very impressed with the quality of all the players that Prague selected this past draft and I would love to see all of them prove my projections wrong. Also note this wasn`t a serious look at what these prospects might accomplish in their careers since age, weight and height have not been a determining factor in players abilities as far as my knowledge in the VHL history. Take all these comments as they are check and tongue.

Words: 2108

Claim Dates: Feb 6, Feb 13, Feb 20 & Feb 27

review: This is a great media spot with a tone of detail and depth. Listing name, height, weight and previous teams played for while in bold and underlined. I appreciate all the color coding you did for team names, players and even for their projection on the team on in the E. Seeing someone talk about even the lower draft picks is great to since they likely won't make it to the VHL. The breakdown of each player is great to, you really went above and beyond in this posy! 10/10