Claimed:Getting to know Ryan Cattrall

Denver

8WBmYwp.png

GETTING TO KNOW RYAN CATTRALL

VHL.COM: INTERVIEW with ERIC GIFFITHS

Recently VHL.com caught up with the newest addition to the Yukon Rush, Ryan Cattrall. Cattrall was originally picked up on waivers by the Turku Outlaws; meanwhile the Rush brought Cattrall and two other teammates in to improve their team. VHL.com writer Eric Griffiths asked a few candid questions of the young prospect giving VHL fans everywhere a chance to get to know more about the future draft pick.  

How has your VHLM experience been thus far?

“My time in the VHLM has been pretty great, it’s really competitive. If it’s any indication of the type of competition in the VHL, it’s going to be an interesting experience. Just being able to strap on my skates each and every day, be it practice or a game situation is enough for me.”

Speaking of the VHL how are you feeling being a member of one of the better draft classes the VHL has had?

“It’s an honor really. There are a lot of guys going into the draft who’ve been in the VHLM longer than me. I’m taking everything one game at a time. There are some real superstars amongst them; it’s really tough just coming in trying to perform at the same level. It’s challenging, one of the toughest things I’ve experienced seeing as how everybody’s fighting trying to become the number one pick.”

If you had to pick one team, what team drafts you in the draft?    

“I don’t really care where I go. Just the opportunity to prove myself is enough for me, but for the sake of the question I guess I’d love to become a member of the New York Americans – It’s an amazing city (New York) – playing there would be pretty cool.”

What round of the draft do you think you’ll hear your name called?

“I’m at the mercy of every single GM in the VHL like everybody else. Of course everybody wants to the one pick overall in the draft, it isn’t hard to imagine yourself going first and being the first to put on a sweater as the number one pick. I could be the first pick or the last pick, but it isn’t about where you were picked it’s about what type of player you go on to become.”

What do you think you bring to the VHL and what are you looking to improve?

“My work ethic. I feel like I’ve got an amazing work rate and I’d like to use that to my advantage to get somewhere in the VHL. I’m going to do whatever the GMs and Coaches need me to do, if that’s coming in 3rd or 4th line in the third period so be it. Rome wasn’t built in a day – it’s a long process and isn’t going to happen overnight. As far as what I’m looking to improve, I’d like to improve my skating and passing more so that I can become more of an asset in the plan of the attack. I don’t have to score goals, that’ll happen eventually, but knowing that I can get my teammates involved and they stay involved is important to me.”

Stylistically do you think that’ll help the team you’re drafted by?

“Hopefully we’ll have to see. It’ll help the guys who can score; I’d really try to make plays through distributing the puck to any of my teammates in any position to attack. The perfect scenario in my mind is always being in a position where I can make a quick and easy touch to someone who’s circling either around the back end of the net, maybe even on the break when it’s down to him and the goalie.” 

Do you have any asperations for the duration your career?

“I want to become the best right wing in the league and it’s a high standard to have knowing how many guys coming into the league or already there that can attest to being that good. I feel like if I stick to working hard and making plays, eventually it’ll start to acclimate into actual success. Chance favors those who prepared to work hard and get in there and make something happen, and I definitely want to make something happen. ”