My Journey in the VHL So Far

badcolethetitan

My Journey in the VHL So Far

Instead of writing about my player this week, I decided to talk about my interaction with the VHL so far, the good and bad. I thought it would be interesting to share my point of view on what has happened to me so far (don't worry it's mostly good).

Background

As many of you may not know, I come from Hockey Dynasty. I have been playing Hockey Dynasty for about 6 months now, and I was having a fantastic time playing it and I really got into it. One day, I remember asking someone if there was another game like Hockey Dynasty, and I was introduced to VHL. I want to give a special shoutout to @samx and @JB123 who convinced me to join the VHL, even though at first I was a little skeptical about the workload and how much I was going to do. They both did a fantastic job explaining and I just want to give props to them.

Joining the VHL

So when I joined the VHL, I wanted to be a goalie at first, because I thought it would be cool, I don't know why. When I ended up making my player, I saw that there were too many goalies at the time, so I decided to become a defenseman. The lore of my name for my player "Siyan Yasilievich" is literally a random name generator, so that's how I came up with the name. I remember when I made my player and had no clue what to put my points into, so I ended up saving them at first. The next day, as I went to sleep, I looked and saw a bunch of notifications, and didn't know at first I was offered by multiple teams. There were a lot of VHLM teams that offered me, and I was torn between joining the San Diego Marlins, which at the time was ran by @JB123, one of my friends from Hockey Dynasty, or to join a completely new team without anyone I know, which was the Philadelphia Reapers ran by @Alex and @Masu Chan. I ended up joining the Reapers, and it was the best decision I could've made at the time.

Philadelphia Reapers Locker Room and Season

After I accepted the Reapers waiver, I ended up joining the discord and the locker room. Let me just say this before I go any further, @Alex is easily the best GM I've ever talked to at this point. He was super welcoming and answered a lot of my questions I had at the time, and if I ever do become a General Manager of a team, I'd want to run it just like Alex did. Seriously, he's a great influence and does a fantastic job, so I hope at some point in all of your careers you get to play under him at some point. Moving on, I remember being a fourth line player for the Reapers at the time and I seriously didn't have much expectations for myself. Alex and Masu did a fantastic job at having guides and explaining to me where I should put my training points, so I ended up building a solid player, I'd say. We ended up making it to the playoffs and I remember giving speeches to the team every day like "Don't worry guys, we're going to win!" and stuff like that, it was super funny. When we ended up getting knocked out, I kind of felt bad, because most of our players were going to the VHLE or wouldn't be on the team next season. It was great playing with everyone on the Reapers in the Locker Room, especially in the Season 81 season, it was a special locker room and I don't think anything will ever top it.

Yukon Steel and the Junior Showcase Tournament

After the season had ended, I was put into the Junior Showcase Tournament draft, which mainly is just something for the newer players to be apart of so they don't get bored and leave the VHL community. I ended up getting picked up by @Masu Chan, who was the Assistant GM of the Reapers in the last season. He is a fantastic GM, just like Alex, and he did an amazing job with the Steel. I ended up getting named the Captain of the Steel, in which we finished first in the regular season, and I had a PPG in both the regular season and the playoffs. We ended up getting knocked out in the playoffs and not winning it all, but it was still a pretty cool experience and I got to meet some new people.

The Draft and becoming Assistant General Manager of the Reapers

I then next had the Draft to be apart of for the VHLM. I remember at first expecting to head to multiple teams, but I didn't know when I would be picked. I think almost every single team in the VHLM interviewed me, so I was super hyped for the draft which was a couple weeks away at the time. One day, I ended up getting messaged by @Alex saying that he would no longer be the General Manager of the Reapers, and that he was going to be moving up and GMing a VHLE team, which I was super happy for him. At that time, the Reapers needed a General Manager, which it ended up going to @Masu Chan, who was easily fit for the job. Masu what I can assume was mentored by Alex, and now there was a vacancy in the Assistant GM position for the Reapers. I was then asked by Masu to be his Assistant General Manager, in which I accepted and we were ready to get things done for the upcoming draft. I kind of find it funny, like a passing of the torch, where Alex passed the torch to Masu, and it looks like Masu passed the torch to me, I don't know I just found it funny to be honest. @Masu Chan and I actually did a ton of planning for the draft in the VHLM. We planned out so much stuff, had a ton of documents and everything, it was really impressive I'm not going to lie. Then again, most of it was done by Alex, and we just kind of had to figure out what we wanted to do with our picks, but nevertheless it was a lot of work. Being apart of the draft was a great experience, it was super hype and sitting there waiting for you pick hoping your player you want is still there is a feeling I'll never forget. My player ended up getting selected by the Reapers 12th Overall, so I was coming back home, which I am extremely happy to be a Reaper again. The only complaint I have about the draft was that the draft felt more like a podcast then a draft, as the people hosting it we're kind of just talking about whatever, but regardless they did do a great job and I'm nitpicking at this point.

What the Future Holds

To be honest, I don't know what the future holds. I have had a great experience so far in the VHLM, at least, and I hope the VHL and VHLE are the same thing. Having an active locker room makes the game much more fun, and I hope to get drafted to a team that has an active locker room. For the management side, I don't know if I'll eventually become a General Manager, or if I'll just stay an assistant General Manager, only time will tell to be honest. I did say at one point that I would want to become a General Manager of a VHLM team, as I personally like helping out newer people, not just in VHL, but in many different games as well. Regardless, I've had a great time so far and I hope it continues.

Miscellaneous

A couple other things that is kind of irrelevant, but I might aswell post it. I met some great people in the riot games channel of the VHL Discord, where we kind of just talk about League of Legends. I won't tag everyone, as that would be too many people, but @Spartan and @Baozi (I hope that's the right Baozi) are two people that I immediately became friends with and they're super chill. I didn't even know the channel existed at first, but right when I saw it I knew I would fit in great with everyone.

Well, that's mainly all I have to say. The journey has been fantastic so far and I would like to thank everyone above that I've mentioned in this media spot that has interacted with me so far. You all are great people and I will be in the community for a long time, so I won't be going anywhere, for good or bad LOL.

Also, my favorite thing that has happened to me so far has to be taking down the Houston Bulls last season in the VHLM as the 6th seed. It was a big upset and everyone was super hype that we won, I don't think I'll ever experience something like that ever again.

7 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Glad to have a fellow GG hopium fan in the VHL. Excited to see your career play out, and hope we can team up in the future, either as teammates or in some management to player relationship!

Yessir we need to be on a team, bring the GG hopium to the team. >:)