VHLM TPE Cut Off and Why it's a Problem

Frank

4 hours ago, jacobcarson877 said:

Based on my math here, and forgive me if I'm wrong slightly I'm estimating weeks here. If a brand new player joins the league at 66 TPE and earns as I have getting all 12 Capped TPE and clicking the practice button to get 14 TPE/week (which should be cause for celebration in my books, that's an active member there) by the time they go from cutoff date to cutoff date (what I'm considering 1 full season) they would go through 10-12 weeks (i counted 11 but I might be wrong) they would earn 154TPE putting them at 220TPE overall. Their team would get them for 1 season, and would lose them immediately going into next season.

That is the perfect world scenario when it comes to a new player. As much as people in the M like to win, and help their team be competitive, the M is really to be hand-holding people that need their hands held. Realistically speaking, a player that earns the way you specified doesn't need the M. They know how to earn, how to build their player, and generally how the league works. They should be going to the VHLE where sure, they may struggle a bit more because of being low TPE, but they will make up that gap pretty quickly if they're earning 150+ TPE per season as you specified. That's about 340-350 TPE by playoffs time.

This means that when evaluating players, VHLM GMs now have a genuine incentive to pick lower earning players, regardless of their current TPE in order to build stronger teams. In fact, getting players who just earn welfare and practice (no shame in that I did it most of my last player) is now more valuable by games played at a high level, than a player entering the VHLM draft where I did.

It's not uncommon to see completely barren teams select high TPA players with their top draft picks, only to trade them away to more competitive teams for assets in their "competing season." Or on the flip side, to select lower TPE players with more upside to retain for another season. Targeting lower earners without an intention of developing them properly, or preparing them for the VHLE/VHL is just against the purpose of the M and doesn't make much sense to me. At least the first two actions I specified isn't harming anyone's career by stalling their earning, or not actively encouraging better earning.

That player (like me) who will end S82 just crossing the threshold, are now an entire season of development behind the player who picked the optimal recreate date. I will now go into every league at the bottom of the barrel, not because I earned any less when I was active, but because I wasn't able to bank for the season as they had.

I mean, here's this image:

Screen_Shot_2022-02-12_at_10.22.35_PM.pn

The players who went at 11, 13 and 14 made the HoF despite creating well after the TDL and not having any carryover at all. I really don't think your lack of carryover or optimal start time is going to hurt you in the long run. 

Overall it seems Josh explained the situation well, just wanted to comment on some of the points in your post. Good luck with your career and feel free to reach out with any more cutoff/call-up questions

I used to mirror a lot of these sentiments during the first part of my first season in the M. Because you want to compete, you want to win and you want to "repay" your team for the chance they gave you. But really that's not the point of the VHLM, or the JST or any of the entry stuff. The whole purpose is to create big earners where there otherwise wouldn't have been any. So if we look at the actual purpose of a VHLM team. Their plan going down the drain because their players earned to well, quite literally means they did their job too well. Succeeded too much in doing what they are "supposed" to be doing.

The issue with lack of competitiveness in the M isn't solved by letting higher TPE players stay there longer, in fact that's the exact reason WHY the 1st gens aren't competitive. The solution isn't to make the problem worse, just so the people who are currently being bullied on the ice. Get to stay down to be the bullies next season. The solution is to find a way to filter out the high TPE players so that the actual 1st gens that the league is supposed to be about get to be competitive by comparison.

I personally think that outside of the mentor role, recreates have no place in the M. Having them take up ice time as well as completely curb stomping the actual new creates isn't healthy. Letting the new creates stay longer to pile on won't fix that. It will just ruin the experience for the next batch of 1st gens, and nothing will ever improve. Sure your exact player will now get to be competitive for one season. But it will make the next person in line have an even worse experience than you did. That's one step forward, two steps back. It doesn't actually solve the issue from a league perspective. It just solves it for you specifically.

Also when doing your approximations of earning you are missing out on a lot of uncapped TPE stuff. When you get drafted that's +10 TPE. When you play your first E game that's +10 TPE. TDL doubles is +6 TPE. Some other events give you 9-21 uncapped TPE depending on what time of year you happened to create. I had the exact same worry you did when I joined from the RTH ad last season. I think my player had something like 74 TPE when the M season started. I begun the E season with ~330 TPE. That means I'm the #2 Dman on my team for TPE. And my player really isn't doing much better than our ~250 TPE Dman from my same draft class. So not like that extra cushion mattered much anyways.

The reason TPE gap 200-400 is less relevant than 60-200 is very simple. It's the update scale. From 60-200 1 TPE = 1 Attribute until you up your 2 key attributes beyond 70 to 80 or whatever your exact personal 200 TPA build is. But basically the actual difference in raw attribute totals between a 60 TPE player and 200 TPE player is relatively much bigger than that of a 230+ vs. 350+. Because if your player made the cutoff, earned for 1 more week and got both those +10s you actually will have at least 230 by the time the E season starts, probably more. That assumes you literally capped out in the cutoff week, which is highly unlikely. And just because 400 TPE players can exist in the E doesn't mean they will. Very, very few players start the season with that. As most 350+ actives will be called up. So realistically you will have something like a 100 TPE gap, where all your attributes are costed at 3-10x as much as they were in the M. Meaning the real attribute total gap is in the 10-30 range. Compared to the ~140 range in the M.