Bite Sized Berocka #13

Berocka

I don't think the issue with the meta is that "passing doesn't matter" and everyone is ignoring that other attributes like Discipline, Penalty Shot, Leadership aren't significant. It's been proven with tests that even an individual 99 SC/40 PA build is actually the optimal build for stats, and a full team of min/maxing SC/PA players is statistically going to outperform. Compound it with the fact that a "meta" build can be very TPE efficient that then results in a lower cap hit, making the optimal roster quite cheap, and that's where you have the "meta" issue.

We'd have the same issue if PA was useful and say 60 SC and 80 PA became proven to be the best build. When an optimal build is figured out, and it becomes cap efficient to roster a full team of those builds, we end up with the problem we face now. It's not that people are annoyed with simply prioritizing SC, the majority of the league does that. But now the blueprint is basically set in stone that teams should be aiming for 99/40 builds since they're proven to be the most effective both individually and as a team composition, and the most cap efficient as well. 

That's why the BoG is working to eliminate the current meta and attempting to create some build diversity at the same time. 

4 hours ago, Spartan said:

I don't think the issue with the meta is that "passing doesn't matter" and everyone is ignoring that other attributes like Discipline, Penalty Shot, Leadership aren't significant. It's been proven with tests that even an individual 99 SC/40 PA build is actually the optimal build for stats, and a full team of min/maxing SC/PA players is statistically going to outperform. Compound it with the fact that a "meta" build can be very TPE efficient that then results in a lower cap hit, making the optimal roster quite cheap, and that's where you have the "meta" issue.

We'd have the same issue if PA was useful and say 60 SC and 80 PA became proven to be the best build. When an optimal build is figured out, and it becomes cap efficient to roster a full team of those builds, we end up with the problem we face now. It's not that people are annoyed with simply prioritizing SC, the majority of the league does that. But now the blueprint is basically set in stone that teams should be aiming for 99/40 builds since they're proven to be the most effective both individually and as a team composition, and the most cap efficient as well. 

That's why the BoG is working to eliminate the current meta and attempting to create some build diversity at the same time. 

Yeah that's all correct but does it make for a fun and controversial podcast? Hmm 

"No one cares about Leadership not being important"

Actually, I do. But there's bigger fish to fry for the time being. Though one potential solution would somewhat help with that too.

"If it was parking"

Parking meta when?

I do have a problem with the lack of diversity in builds, but I more so have a problem that there even is a “meta” at all.

As sour as I am with the people who went the extra mile to test and exploit STHS to the point where all this days is so well known, and as distasteful as I find people and GMs who would now exploit this knowledge, the problem ultimately lies with STHS. Ideally, the sim engine shouldn’t even be as exploitable as it is to begin with. The relationship between Checking and Discipline is truly insane and is nothing short of broken. And this Scoring and Passing nonsense is just yet another thing that’s broken. 

The BOG and co can change whatever they want. They can make it harder for GMs to make super teams, maybe even discourage people from building meta players. But it will never change the problem that exists with STHS itself. And frankly I don’t love following the SHL in their switch either. I really wish a new engine could be developed.