Analysis of VHLE Team Names Part 2: Bratislava and Cologne

Will3

The time have come for me to analyzing the names of the original members of the VHLE.  Many of these clubs were old VHLM and VHL teams that folded as the VHLM became the North American focus league is it today. What was discarded in the past has become the focus of my studies today. I am raring to go so we shall wait no more.

My current club, the Bratislava Watchmen, has an interesting history and name.  The Watchmen were original founded as a VHLM team in S31 along with the Yukon Rush. Funny how that worked out. After over 20 successful seasons, the Watchmen would fold and that would be it for VHL hockey in Bratislava for a long time until the creation of the VHLE. The team name actually come from of all things a famous statue. Known locally as Cumil, the statue of a man comming of a sewer has been among the most photographed statues in the city.  Stories about who the man is and what he is doing vary wildly, but it is his description as a typical Solvak worker that inspired the team name and original logo before the current logo changes the reference to the lighthouse in nearby Devin. Overall interest references to the hardworking Solvak people. I am proud to call myself a man of the Watch.

The Cologne Express is a team with a long history. Records indicate that the Express were playing VHL games as far back as S35. At some time in the past the team folded. I can't find a solid date for when the the first iteration of the Express ceased operations. I do know that they were reincarnated for the VHLE. I am not incredibly sure as to the origins of the team name. It is probably a reference to the Cologne-Aachen high-speed railway which became the world's first international railway line in 1843. It also could have been a reference Cologne becoming a vehicle and engine manufacturing hub during the Industrial Revolution. Either way it works. 

It is time for me to wrap up this article. What makes the team names in the VHLE so interesting is the fact that all of them currently come from the distance past. This only highlights my own ignorance of the history of this league. Finding information that far back can be difficult so any assistance in filling in the gaps would be appreciated.

The Roman Empire is up next week for analysis, I will see you then. So long for now and #StandwithUkraine. 🇺🇦 

Edited by Will3

• Admin
On 3/16/2022 at 9:56 PM, Will3 said:

This only highlights my own ignorance of the history of this league. Finding information that far back can be difficult so any assistance in filling in the gaps would be appreciated.

https://vhlforum.com/topic/97303-franchise-history-visualiser-vhl-vhlm/

:)

I enjoyed your previous article in this series, and I found this one equally enjoyable. I've long been curious as to the origins of the Watchmen, and never would have guessed it's from a statue. As an alum of both teams - Bratislava in the VHLM and Cologne in the VHL - I found myself taking a bit of a personal trip down memory lane, as well. From a grammar perspective, some of the sentences are a little choppy, but not bad. The only real error I saw was "from the distance past" instead of "from the distant past". 10/10 for continuing an insightful series.