It's Official: Landry II Is New Toronto Legion GM

Doomsday

It's Official: Landry II Is New Toronto Legion GM

Scott-Laughton-Interview.png?fit=955,535

TORONTO - After a long wait, perhaps the most anticipated off-season news finally dropped, with the dual announcement of the Toronto Legion announcing the hiring of Thomas Landry II and the Los Angeles Stars choosing Zack Gagnon as the new general managers of their franchises. Both teams have been waiting to see their team hoist the Continental Cup, with Toronto's last championship victory coming in Season 65 while Los Angeles awaits their first Continental Cup in franchise history. For the Legion, however, their new man at the helm has yet to lift a championship trophy over his head, but is now tasked with ending both of their respective droughts.

Thomas Landry II spent his entire VHL career with the same team: the Prague Phantoms. Going from the wide-eyed rookie playing with top players like Brick Wahl II, Cinnamon Block, Seabass Perrin, and Wolf Stansson Jr to the team captain and a franchise leader. His career culminated with Prague raising his #48 to the rafters, but a championship banner did not accompany it. However, what Landry II lacks in championship victories he more than makes up for in passion, enthusiasm, and loyalty, earning him the support of Toronto's players and management. This virtually universal support no doubt played a large part in Landry II's hiring, and he will need it as Toronto enters an off-season filled with questions regarding the future direction of the franchise.

When it comes to answering those questions, who better to answer them than Toronto's new general manager, Thomas Landry II himself? The MSFL Times was able to secure an exclusive interview with one of the league's two new hirings, and looked to get answers regarding the future in Toronto.

Jethro Novacek: First of all, congratulations on being hired as the new general manager of the Toronto Legion!! Tell us, how long did you have to keep it a secret?

Thomas Landry II: Thank you, and as it turns out, not very long at all! I was officially offered the position the same day it ended up being announced, with the plan being to make it public when Los Angeles was eliminated or the Continental Cup Finals started, whichever came first. Unfortunately for the Stars, they were eliminated later that day, which meant I only officially knew about my hiring for a couple of hours before the rest of the league did. 

JN: Both you and Zack Gagnon, who was announced as the new general manager of the Los Angeles Stars, had a lot of kind words for each other. What sort of relationship did you two have prior to becoming VHL GMs together?

TL: Zack actually drafted me back in Season 70 when he was the general manager of the San Diego Marlins in the VHLM, so we definitely go back a ways. I'd definitely consider him a good friend, as he's a great guy and we've always gotten along. Professionally, with every stop he's made as a general manager, he's done a really fantastic job. This has been long overdue for him, and it's amazing to see him finally getting his chance to prove that he can win at the VHL level, which I think gives him a very real possibility to become the first to GM a team to a championship in the VHLM, VHLE, and the VHL. How cool with that be for Zack to pull that off after hanging in there and waiting for his opportunity here?

JN: As for the Toronto Legion, they're at a bit of a crossroads right now. Realistically, they could continue with their current group even though some key prospects haven't panned out, but the chance of yet another rebuild is very real. What do you make of the situation?

DpaY44QX4AAswtQ?format=jpg&name=large

TL: The key for me is all about finding the players who fill not only team needs, but who want to be a part of the Toronto Legion family as well. While some prospects definitely haven't panned out, there are others who have. Weenuk Warrior will be coming up to the pro roster next season, as will Sting Chameleon if they elect to stay. With strong players in place such as Matty Fire, Kyle Peace, Jannik Nylen, and Oskar Lindbergh, along with three first round picks in the next two drafts, we've got the capability to build around these players and create the depth needed to compete. As you mentioned, the future is very wide open in Toronto, and there are numerous possibilities available to us. 

JN: You mentioned some of the key pieces of the current roster, who is someone that you feel really needs to step up and become part of that key group in Season 83?

TL: One player that will in a position to do so is Cadmael Ixazaluoh, a first round pick back in Season 81. He made the jump up to the VHL this season and had a very respectable rookie season, but Cadmael is in line to take a much bigger role in Season 83, and if he can take the next step towards becoming a top-tier VHL defenseman, that would be absolutely huge for us. He will have the opportunity, and I believe he has the talent, so we will need to see if two plus two does indeed equal four in this situation. 

JN: What do you think will be the most difficult aspect of the job?

TL: For me, it'll definitely be when the time comes to trade a player I've known for a long time. My personal style is to build relationships and instill trust in the players on my roster, and I must admit that I do not look forward to the day I have to inform one of them that they are being traded. I also don't look forward to working with managing the salary cap at all, but I feel like I might be making a bigger deal over that than it actually will be. 

JN: Season 83 will introduce the brand-new hybrid attributes, bringing an end to the brief era of the meta build. What do you think this will mean for competition in the VHL?

TL: Honestly, I think it's really going to open things up. We won't see the same builds with different names on them, we'll be seeing a lot of unique players, and the challenge of assembling all the right pieces just got that much tougher. On top of that, you don't just need players that can hit 500 TPE and dominate, getting those consistent high-earners is even more important than ever now, and the balance between higher and lower TPE players to stay under the cap will be absolutely critical now. I think we're going to see a lot of competition and parity in the future with the hybrid system. 

JN: Any final words to add?

TL: We are Legion, and we are one.

If one thing is for certain, it is that the future of the Toronto Legion is in the hands of someone in Thomas Landry II that firmly believes in his players and their abilities, and wants to win with them. Time will tell, however, if this faith and loyalty will be rewarded with a Continental Cup being paraded in the streets of Toronto.

Jethro Novacek is an award-winning writer for the MSFL Times, the absolute zenith in simulation sports coverage. He enjoys the bizarre lingo of hockey, funnel cake, and talking to himself for hours on end.