Hlozek Sets Sights on Continental Cup Victory

Bojovnik

MOSCOW, April 11 – (HockeyCZ): Jan Hlozek is well aware of the fact that his career is entering its twilight. For many VHL players, they only get seven, maybe eight if they’re lucky, attempts at winning the Continental Cup. With five seasons at the top level of world hockey under his belt already, the Czech defenceman knows that he only has a handful of opportunity lefts before he is no longer able to play at the world’s highest stage.

All hockey players dream of taking the so-called triple crown. The VHL title, the VHLM title, and World Cup of Hockey gold. Hlozek so far has one of these three – a VHLM title won with the Miami Marauders in his final season before turning pro – but success in the VHL has so far eluded him.

Hlozek was a core part of a Riga Reign that flattered to deceive during his first three years in the league, with this lack of team success prompting him to look for a team that was ready to win.

This choice was the Los Angeles Stars – a perennial contender who could, it appeared to seem, mount a challenge to the all-conquering Vancouver Wolves.

That wouldn’t be the case, as the Stars failed to make it to the Continental Cup Final during Hlozek’s two seasons in California.

“It was certainly a bitter pill to swallow. I think we had every chance of overcoming Vancouver, but for whatever reason, they were just too strong for us. I don’t really feel that I’m in the right place to comment on why they were better than us, however, it’s a fact that they were over the past two seasons,” Hlozek told HockeyCZ from his hotel accommodation in Moscow.

A move to the Russian capital came as a surprise for Hlozek. In his words, he took some time off after the Stars NA Conference loss to the Vancouver Wolves to collect his thoughts and draw up his plans for the rest of his career.

“I was away in the Caribbean, taking some time to rest up and plan my next steps. I tried my best to keep away all the distractions, so I didn’t take my phone, any mobile devices. The next thing I know, I’ve got the hotel reception knocking on my door saying that I’ve got a phone call from my agent, who broke the news to me that my rights had been traded to Moscow,” the Topolna native said.

Hlozek underlined that he was surprised that the Moscow Menace took a chance on the aging defenceman, especially considering their status as one of the strongest teams in the VHL.

“I know that Moscow were a super strong team over the past three years. They had some of the best players in the VHL, so I know that I have massive shoes to fill. It’s nice to have such a strong team show that much interest in you, and now it comes down to me to repay this faith that they put in me. As a result, it’s Continental Cup or bust,” Hlozek concluded.

Excellent read! Very well written article (in the literal sense as well). Love the newspaper dating included in the article (although did we skip ahead into the future with Sunday April 10? or perhaps you're looking at it as a Monday Morning Newspaper 👍) Good spacing, sentence structure, and usage of Bold to distinguish the player's words. I feel you on the championship winning dream! Although shouldn't it be the Quintuple Crown (VHLM, VHLE, VHL, WJC Gold, WC Gold)? It's anyone's game this season, best of luck in your championship dreams! 10/10