@Renomitsu

Aloe_Dear.png

Position: Left Winger

Nationality: Danish

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 165 lbs

VHL Drafted: 1st Overall by the Warsaw Predators in S74

VHLM Drafted: 3rd Overall by the Houston Bulls in S73

Played for: Las Vegas Aces, Houston Bulls, Warsaw Predators, DC Dragons, Vancouver Wolves.

Preface

Even though Denmark's mean annual temperature is (a whopping) 8.3ºC, or around 47ºF for you imperial-freaks, Ice Hockey hardly enters the Top-3 in the most popular sports ranking.

Considering its population number, of around 6 million individuals, and the average build of its citizens, the potential to sprout excellent athletes is high. And, as an efficient country, they do - and their IIHF World Ranking shows that.

Soren Jensen showed that. Venus Thightrap did too.

But Aloe Dear is one of the best Danes to have stepped foot on VHL ice.

We know about the friendship between Thightrap and Dear and how Venus helped Aloe break ties with her restraining upbringing. But the most intricate part is how two girls with different childhoods manage to push each other far enough to create two players with successful careers.

Not only successful, Aloe's one of the most successful in the VHL. There's a reason why she's in the Hall of Fame, and her accolades stand tall... very tall.

🏆 Career Accolades 🏆

S74 | World Junior Hockey Championship :eu:

S76 | World Cup of Hockey :merc:

S77 | Victory Cup :war:

S78 | Continental Cup :war:

S78 | Brett Slobodzian Trophy :war:

S78 | Alexander Beketov Trophy :war:

S78 | Scotty Campbell Trophy :war:

S78 | Mike Szatkowski Trophy :war:

S81 | Continental Cup :que:

S81 | Victory Cup :que:

:vhlmlogo: The VHLM :vhlmlogo:

We start this story and immediately can connect with Dear as a person. A young girl travels to Las Vegas from her home in Denmark and signs a deal with the Aces. She plays their last 22 games of S72 - and is swept in the first round of the playoffs. It was a wake-up call, a reckoning of sorts... something that would either make or break a person. In Aloe Dear's instance... it only made her stronger.

She was drafted 3rd overall in the S73 Draft to the Houston Bulls and proved herself worthy of that pick every second she spent on the ice that season.

Her time on the ice turned to 46 goals (in just 389 shots) and 49 assists, totaling 95 points while finishing with a +44 in the plus/minus column. Unfortunately, the Bulls were dropped in the second round, and after just 10 games, Dear had 4 goals, 5 assists, and a +2 PM.

Regular Season Stats

73 (HOU), 72 Games Played, 46 Goals, 49 Assists, 95 Points, +44 Plus/Minus, 389 Shots, 92 Hits, 12 Shots Blocked, 4 Game Winning Goals, 13 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

72 (LVA), 22 Games Played, 1 Goals, 1 Assists, 2 Points, -1 Plus/Minus, 24 Shots, 16 Hits, 12 Shots Blocked, 4 Game Winning Goals, 13 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

Playoffs Stats

73 (HOU), 10 Games Played, 4 Goals, 5 Assists, 9 Points, +2 Plus/Minus, 43 Shots, 16 Hits, 16 Shots Blocked, 1 Game Winning Goals, 1 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

72 (LVA), 6 Games Played, 0 Goals, 0 Assists, 2 Points, +4 Plus/Minus, 2 Shots, 3 Hits, 0 Shots Blocked, 0 Game Winning Goals, 0 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

:vhllogo: Early years and growing pains :vhllogo:

Dear was drafted 1st Overall in the S74 VHL Draft, and like many first-picks, she didn't have the luck to find the best team in the league. Instead, she found a struggling expansion team in Warsaw that had joined the season before. But looking at it while trying to find a bright side, she was closer to home. Throughout the first two seasons in the VHL, Dear grew as much as the Predators. There wasn't much fuss around the team, they played hard, but a lot was missing to take that next step. That experience that only time on the ice brings you.

That jump in intensity came in S76. The Predators were now contending, and they got... good! They had flaws, yes... as all teams do. Some luck? Of course, but the team was building something, and Dear was in the middle of it. The Predators found their way to the Continental Cup Finals but encountered a stronger Chicago Phoenix team and succumbed in just five games.

For the second time in Dear's career, she found herself at a crossroad where many players lost their way. Dear didn't, and in S77, she came back stronger, posting career highs in the regular season. Scoring 43 goals and assisting on an extra 69 (Nice!), Dear led the Predators to their first Victory Cup. That run for the Continental Cup was cut short, but the Predators weren't preys anymore.

Regular Season Stats

77 (WAR), 72 Games Played, 43 Goals, 69 Assists, 112 Points, +34 Plus/Minus, 521 Shots, 194 Hits, 30 Shots Blocked, 6 Game Winning Goals, 9 Powerplay Goals, 2 Shorthanded Goals

76 (WAR), 72 Games Played, 40 Goals, 38 Assists, 78 Points, +16 Plus/Minus, 421 Shots, 150 Hits, 37 Shots Blocked, 4 Game Winning Goals, 11 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

75 (WAR), 72 Games Played, 29 Goals, 30 Assists, 59 Points, 0 Plus/Minus, 384 Shots, 111 Hits, 19 Shots Blocked, 7 Game Winning Goals, 8 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

74 (WAR), 72 Games Played, 28 Goals, 24 Assists, 52 Points, -11 Plus/Minus, 299 Shots, 146 Hits, 37 Shots Blocked, 2 Game Winning Goals, 8 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

Playoffs Stats

77 (WAR), 12 Games Played, 5 Goals, 6 Assists, 11 Points, -5 Plus/Minus, 67 Shots, 30 Hits, 6 Shots Blocked, 0 Game Winning Goals, 2 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

76 (WAR), 19 Games Played, 7 Goals, 8 Assists, 15 Points, +2 Plus/Minus, 99 Shots, 37 Hits, 7 Shots Blocked, 0 Game Winning Goals, 1 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

75 (WAR), 7 Games Played, 1 Goal, 5 Assists, 6 Points, +4 Plus/Minus, 39 Shots, 14 Hits, 2 Shots Blocked, 0 Game Winning Goals, 1 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

🏆 "The" Season 🏆

This has to have been the most rewarding season of Aloe Dear's career. After 4 seasons in the VHL, she's reached peak form, ability, and presence. Her game found new heights, but her leadership and poise helped the Predators reach new heights.

Dear led the league with 74 assists, nabbing the Alexander Beketov Trophy.

Dear led the league with 118 points, nabbing the Mike Szatkowski Trophy.

Dear was deemed the Most Valuable Player, nabbing the Scotty Campbell Trophy.

Dear was deemed the Most Outstanding Player by her peers, nabbing the Brett Slobodzian Trophy.

These are individual honors, and hockey is a team sport, but it shows something about a player. And Dear led this team - and it was her team, after all. Drafted in the team's second season, playing throughout the highs and lows, Dear and the Predators were ready for success. Alongside Chris Hylands and Uthred, who were awarded for their accomplishments that season, Dear made sure they wouldn't let this opportunity slip through their hands.

They didn't enter the Playoffs as favorites, but they played all 17 games like one. And, in the end, they got their first Continental Cup.

Regular Season Stats

78 (WAR), 72 Games Played, 44 Goals, 74 Assists, 118 Points, +24 Plus/Minus, 506 Shots, 182 Hits, 33 Shots Blocked, 4 Game Winning Goals, 10 Powerplay Goals,  0 Shorthanded Goals

Playoffs Stats

78 (WAR), 17 Games Played, 13 Goals, 10 Assists, 23 Points, -2 Plus/Minus, 128 Shots, 45 Hits, 10 Shots Blocked, 2 Game Winning Goals, 5 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

🏆🏆 Chasing the second Continental Cup 🏆🏆

After S78, Dear didn't stop. She kept improving, and it showed. Seasons were passing, but, like fine wine, she was only getting better.

In S79, she continued to lead Warsaw, posting even higher numbers than the season before. Expanding her game, turning into an even more efficient skater, but never cutting down on quality hockey. But, something was brewing in the Predators' midst. After four seasons of contending for the title, the team had to rethink their future and Aloe Dear's contract. 

It was goodbye. After six seasons in blue, Dear was saying goodbye and heading into Free Agency.

Now, technically, in her first Free Agency period, as both S77 and S79 contracts with Warsaw were also signed during this period but without much interest from the rest of the league - Dear went looking for a new home. One where she could also contend for the Continental - and find it, she did. Washington, D.C., home of the Dragons, still with the same GM since the team was first founded in S68, provided what she went looking for.

The Dragons went 3rd in the North American Conference (and Warsaw went 3rd in the European). It didn't look like the best move at the end of the regular season, as the NA Conference was far better that season. But the Dragons stunned the Phoenix in the 2nd round to progress. While the Predators lost in only four games against the Nighthawks. The Dragons' stint didn't stay upbeat for long, and in the 3rd round, they lost (also) in four games to the (soon-to-be champions) Vancouver Wolves.

After the season ended, a decision was to be made, and a final season to be played. Where was Dear about to go? D.C. was entering its rebuild. Could she go back to Warsaw?

In another stellar Free Agency period and an attempt by London, Dear saw the beginning of what came to be Vancouver's dominance over the league. And so she signed one final contract in the VHL with the holders of the Continental Cup, Vancouver Wolves.

Nykonax, who now has 3 Continental Cups in as many seasons as the GM of the Wolves, decided to take advantage of the veteran's availability to join a contending side. Offered her a large contract with a No-Trade Clause, then proceeded to watch her do her thing. In her last season, Dear cemented her spot in the Hall of Fame, posting the best season of her career. 50 goals and 86 assists, even in a time where these stats seem almost normal, it's an amazing feat for a player in her last season.

Her contribution didn't stop in the playoffs, adding 8 goals and 17 assists during Vancouver's quest for the repeat.

Now... could Vancouver have won the title, even without Dear? Probably.

But does that erase any of her contributions during the 81st season? No.

And, is she one of the best to have ever played in the VHL? Yes.

Deserving of the Hall of Fame and deserving of having her jersey in the rafters in Warsaw.

00_Dear_V01.png.a50524fc4830fe91c486975c6e037caf.png

Regular Season Stats

81 (VAN), 72 Games Played, 50 Goals, 86 Assists, 136 Points, +86 Plus/Minus, 591 Shots, 54 Hits, 34 Shots Blocked, 8 Game Winning Goals, 7 Powerplay Goals, 1 Shorthanded Goals

80 (DCD), 72 Games Played, 51 Goals, 57 Assists, 108 Points, +45 Plus/Minus, 452 Shots, 44 Hits, 38 Shots Blocked, 11 Game Winning Goals, 13 Powerplay Goals, 1 Shorthanded Goals

79 (WAR), 72 Games Played, 44 Goals, 77 Assists, 121 Points, +42 Plus/Minus, 506 Shots, 174 Hits, 38 Shots Blocked, 6 Game Winning Goals, 9 Powerplay Goals, 1 Shorthanded Goals

Playoffs Stats

81 (VAN), 18 Games Played, 8 Goals, 17 Assists, 25 Points, -1 Plus/Minus, 125 Shots, 17 Hits, 8 Shots Blocked, 2 Game Winning Goals, 0 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

80 (DCD), 11 Games Played, 6 Goals, 6 Assists, 12 Points, 0 Plus/Minus, 65 Shots, 3 Hits, 6 Shots Blocked, 0 Game Winning Goals, 0 Powerplay Goals, 0 Shorthanded Goals

79 (WAR), 12 Games Played, 9 Goals, 11 Assists,20 Points, -3 Plus/Minus, 91 Shots, 25 Hits, 4 Shots Blocked, 0 Game Winning Goals, 3 Powerplay Goals, 1 Shorthanded Goal

VHL Career Totals

Regular Season: 576 Games Played, 329 Goals, 455 Assists, 784 Points, +236 +/-

Playoffs: 96 Games Played, 49 Goals, 63 Assists, 112 Points, -5 +/-

Indulge me, taking a little time to thank the opportunity to write about a great career and thank @Renomitsu for the contributions made to the community.

I hope life after the VHL is going great!

Edited by leandrofg
Added retired jersey; Some numbers; Formatting; Grammar;

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

@leandrofg unorthodox layout but I'm not opposed to it. Only ask would be to write out the stats please - can't copy images onto the portal unfortunately.

BTW there are actually 4 other Danish HOFers who may dispute the overall claim - but they were pre portal which is probably why you missed them!

2 hours ago, Victor said:

@leandrofg unorthodox layout but I'm not opposed to it. Only ask would be to write out the stats please - can't copy images onto the portal unfortunately.

I'll make those changes, but if you'd rather have the year-by-year article, I can do that too. 

2 hours ago, Victor said:

BTW there are actually 4 other Danish HOFers who may dispute the overall claim - but they were pre portal which is probably why you missed them!

Goddamnit! That one's on me - rookie mistake. I'll adjust that bit too.

This is sweet as fuck and I'm glad there's one place now to wrap up such an amazing career. I love seeing this career recaps, especially for high-profile players because I feel like we have too many mid-tier players talked about, but holy fuck was Aloe a machine. She was HUGE for Warsaw in that cup run and DESERVED playoff MVP for sure. Couple grammatical mistakes sprinkled throughout, but it didn't take away from the article much and I liked reading this and going back to an awesome time in the VHL!

9/10

On 6/19/2022 at 10:43 AM, Victor said:

That's fine, no need to rewrite the whole thing.

The changes you've requested are done! Let me just ask you this... going forward, would you rather have the year-by-year content instead of this condensed type?

12 hours ago, ShawnGlade said:

This is sweet as fuck and I'm glad there's one place now to wrap up such an amazing career. I love seeing this career recaps, especially for high-profile players because I feel like we have too many mid-tier players talked about, but holy fuck was Aloe a machine. She was HUGE for Warsaw in that cup run and DESERVED playoff MVP for sure. Couple grammatical mistakes sprinkled throughout, but it didn't take away from the article much and I liked reading this and going back to an awesome time in the VHL!

9/10

Hey, man! I appreciate that! Also, if you can message me the mistakes I can correct them before it goes into the portal! 😅