VHLM Trade Theory

AJW

I might be giving out my secrets here or this could be totally known, but in my opinion, first and second round picks in the VHLM have less value than multiple lower round picks. Now hear me out, getting a capped player from a draft is pretty good right? It is. You get a talented, highly skilled player for the whole season without risk and without worrying about TPE earning at all. BUT! The value of this player and the value of their draft pick can be used in the future for MORE value.

Okay so let’s say you have a 1st round pick. That pick could probably be traded for like two 3rds if I’m not mistaken. Even a 3rd and a 4th why not. If you take a look at some of the recent drafts for the VHLM, there has been 100+ TPE players going in these rounds. Let’s say they are welfare players, they earn 6 TPE a week for the season which is approximately 8 weeks let’s say. So now you have two 100 TPE players at the start of the draft that just gained 48 (I’ll just say 50) TPE by the end of the season. YOU NOW HAVE TWO 150 TPE players next season instead of having the one capped player who just moved up to the VHLE. Am I crazy or does that not equal STONKS. If you trade down your draft picks for welfare players they will eventually gain more value than said draft picks. Now this doesn’t always work. Players who earn welfare have a chance of going inactive, missing weeks, etc. But the risk to reward is pretty good in my opinion if you have their draft rights. You could potentially have a pretty good player for 2-3 seasons if they earn slowly and consistently.

I am going to use Vegas as an example because myself, Mubble, and Shin have been shaping this team since S81. There are nine players on the Vegas roster who have played more than one season (S82/S83 draftees). All nine players are above 120 TPE with the average being 166 TPE. 166 TPE player in the VHLM is a highly skilled player. The highest drafted player is Kagelberg who went 34th in the 4th round. Their capped goalie went 82nd overall!!!! Do you see what I am saying????? Their goalie went last in a draft and is now worth a first round pick. THEY WENT LAST IN THE DRAFT. All of these players are highly talented players after one or two seasons and were worth low round draft picks to get them.

I might be babbling here but seriously, first round picks, second round picks, they’re good!! If you want to make a cup run and have a deep roster you should get them and stack your team to win. But come on, the first place team in the VHLM has a bunch of misfits who sprouted into mega chads and are now running the league. 

Before I was booted from the VHLM I had the idea (kind of got it from Jiggs saying “trade the picks trust the process”) of trading high assets for multiple low/mid assets. AND ITS WORKING FOR VEGAS. You trade your first for two 3rds, your second for two 4ths, maybe even a 4th and a 5th, now you have four 100ish TPE players for the price of two capped players. Next season you keep these 100 TPE players that are now at 150 TPE and their value now all go to 1st/ 2nd round picks. You could trade one player away and keep repeating this cycle. Trade the player for a 2nd, get two fourths, repeat until your entire roster is welfare players all at 100+ TPE and each season you will have like 7-8 players around 150 TPE and you’re a contender. 

I’m done, I don’t know if any of this made sense, I’m typing it out on my phone, goodbye.

The main purpose of a 1st rounder in the M (and E) in my mind, unless you're in win now mode for whatever reason, is to draft a player who will be worth a 1st and a 3rd/4th later that season when a current contender comes knocking. So a 1st isn't actually a 1st in reality (unless you're contending). A 1st is just a sort of proxy to getting a 1st again next season while also picking up that mid round pick that will hopefully be a 2 season player. I'm pretty sure that's why no one ever trades 1sts other than for capped players, it's because the trade value of a 1st is a 1st, but the draft value of a 1st is a 1st and 3rd. It makes no sense that our trade values work like that, but they do. So you just work around it.

Also I kinda agree that especially now post hybrid capped player are kinda overrated. Just look at Kagelberg who you mentioned that we picked up in the 4th round this draft. He's currently one of the best point producers in the entire league, while also performing comparably defensively as our capped players. We also have our dear captain Juan Ceson at 122 TPA who is being elite defensively.

There's a saying that originates from the NHL that goes something along the lines of "Bad GMs earn their pay on Friday, Good GMs earn theirs on Saturday". Which might not make any sense unless you know that the 1st round of the draft is on a Friday and rounds 2-7 are on Saturday. Anyone can hit a good player with their 1st, it's what you do with the late round picks that actually decides the future of your franchise. That was always my recipe for success when doing challenge saves in EHM too, I'd in fact purposefully trade away my 1st to lock myself out of the 1st round to make drafting more fun.

13 hours ago, McWolf said:

1st rounders hella overrated in the M, I've said it before and I'll say it again

bc u made retaining clickers more important lmfao

I mean how exactly are you supposed to get clickers invested enough in the league to ever become more than that, if you don't retain them to start off with? Not everyone starts off being a max earner from day 1, or even season 1 or player 1.🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

I mean how exactly are you supposed to get clickers invested enough in the league to ever become more than that, if you don't retain them to start off with? Not everyone starts off being a max earner from day 1, or even season 1 or player 1.🤷‍♂️

cowardice to not quote/tag me shitdigs. clickers only exist for earning players to DUNK ON, nothing else. Any VHLM GM worth anything can tell when a player isn't going to do anything to actually become a valuable player. You have to be actually dumb to not be able to tell (or actively try to farm these shitters to compete for the MINOR LEAGUE (RETENTION) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!)