Expand the VHLE Playoffs

nurx

I think the VHLE playoffs should be expanded. Now hear me out there aren't a lot of teams in the VHLE, but a fewer percentage of teams make it into the playoffs in the VHLE than any other league.  First let's look at what percentage of every league gets into the playoffs. The VHL has 62.5% of the teams making the postseason. The VHLM has even more with 80% of their teams making the post season. However, the VHLE only has 50% of their teams making the playoffs. Now let's be honest we have all been part of a low seed team in the playoffs and while the hope is low it is fun if you upset and just advance one round. The fun of it is great. Plus the memes of a 1 seed losing to a 8 seed is always great. We can all agree playoff hockey is the best part of hockey and we can get more of it. Another important idea is the fact that the VHLE playoffs last significantly less time than other leagues because there are only 2 rounds. This could be fixed with an expansion.

So you may be thinking, "Well how do we expand the playoffs?" Well I have a proposal for you and it involves a wild card round. The number 1 seeds in both conferences get a bye immediately. Then the following top 4 would enter a wildcard round. They are seeded 1-4 and play BO5 or BO7 series. After this series is over the playoffs are then reseeded. This means that if 2 and 4 win their series they would be reseeded to 3 and 4 and play the top 2 teams that received a bye. Then we would enter a standard semi-finals and finals with BO7s to finish the playoffs.

27 minutes ago, leandrofg said:

The Office Reaction GIF

1st and 2nd go through to the semi-finals.

3rd through 6th have a play-in tournament.

kinda is a no brainer tbh

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, nurx said:

I think the VHLE playoffs should be expanded. Now hear me out there aren't a lot of teams in the VHLE, but a fewer percentage of teams make it into the playoffs in the VHLE than any other league.  First let's look at what percentage of every league gets into the playoffs. The VHL has 62.5% of the teams making the postseason. The VHLM has even more with 80% of their teams making the post season. However, the VHLE only has 50% of their teams making the playoffs. Now let's be honest we have all been part of a low seed team in the playoffs and while the hope is low it is fun if you upset and just advance one round. The fun of it is great. Plus the memes of a 1 seed losing to a 8 seed is always great. We can all agree playoff hockey is the best part of hockey and we can get more of it. Another important idea is the fact that the VHLE playoffs last significantly less time than other leagues because there are only 2 rounds. This could be fixed with an expansion.

So you may be thinking, "Well how do we expand the playoffs?" Well I have a proposal for you and it involves a wild card round. The number 1 seeds in both conferences get a bye immediately. Then the following top 4 would enter a wildcard round. They are seeded 1-4 and play BO5 or BO7 series. After this series is over the playoffs are then reseeded. This means that if 2 and 4 win their series they would be reseeded to 3 and 4 and play the top 2 teams that received a bye. Then we would enter a standard semi-finals and finals with BO7s to finish the playoffs.

So we changed it so that there is only one game simmed per day vs 2 to align better with the other leagues. If you look the last sim for the M playoffs was on June 8th the last sim for the E was on June 7th and the last for the VHL was the 10th. Those 3 are all pretty close to each other. The E is more competitive than the M as you can see the difference between 50% and 80%. It makes more sense to have more teams be in the playoffs for a developmental league. You're comparing a 16 team league to an 8 team league, it doesn't make sense to have 2 teams not make the playoffs compared to the 6 in the VHL. When the E was first created this was what was agreed upon as there were only 6 teams, we expanded it to 8 and felt like the playoffs should stay the same. If the E expands, which I don't foresee, the playoffs will be changed in accordance. 

5 minutes ago, Acydburn said:

So we changed it so that there is only one game simmed per day vs 2 to align better with the other leagues. If you look the last sim for the M playoffs was on June 8th the last sim for the E was on June 7th and the last for the VHL was the 10th. Those 3 are all pretty close to each other. The E is more competitive than the M as you can see the difference between 50% and 80%. It makes more sense to have more teams be in the playoffs for a developmental league. You're comparing a 16 team league to an 8 team league, it doesn't make sense to have 2 teams not make the playoffs compared to the 6 in the VHL. When the E was first created this was what was agreed upon as there were only 6 teams, we expanded it to 8 and felt like the playoffs should stay the same. If the E expands, which I don't foresee, the playoffs will be changed in accordance. 

Wouldn't the VHLE also be a developmental league though?

I’ll put my two cents into this. I think that the M has too many teams in the playoffs, even for a development league. VHL has enough, E has arguably maybe too little. However, what I will say is making the playoffs should be for the best of the best. I don’t think teams that are barely above .500 should be making the playoffs, to be a playoff team you should be considered a “good team.” While personally, I do like the fact of potentially having more teams in the playoffs and more storylines, I want the teams who make the playoffs feel like they earned it. You could argue that the M should allow teams under .500 to make the playoffs should make it in, because it’s a development league. However the E and VHL aren’t really for development anymore. On top of that, I think making the playoffs shouldn’t be super difficult, but it shouldn’t be very easy, hence why I like 50% of the teams at the moment making the playoffs. I’m up to debate and talk about it, and there’s for sure no right or wrong answer, just my thoughts.

Edited by badcolethetitan

• Commissioner
3 hours ago, nurx said:

Wouldn't the VHLE also be a developmental league though?

No, not in the same sense as the M is to nurture and teach. The E is more about competing and a user can stay in the E for as long as they want if that's their choice. They just have to stay under the TPE requirement. 

I can see the merits of increasing from 50% of teams making it considering that a 4 team playoff was decided when it was a 6 team league. I believe our playoff formats are limited to the options in STHS, so I'd be curious to know what the options are for an 8 team league. I like giving the top seed a bye and add a fifth team so we're at 5/8 teams in the playoff.

I also think it gets sketch to have teams under .500 make the playoffs, but in a league with a lower and upper bracket for TPE, development during a season can lead to playoff success. Teams that develop should have the chance to show it off in the playoffs. Maybe a 5 team playoff would be neat to see, granted if STHS allows it.

29 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I can see the merits of increasing from 50% of teams making it considering that a 4 team playoff was decided when it was a 6 team league. I believe our playoff formats are limited to the options in STHS, so I'd be curious to know what the options are for an 8 team league. I like giving the top seed a bye and add a fifth team so we're at 5/8 teams in the playoff.

I also think it gets sketch to have teams under .500 make the playoffs, but in a league with a lower and upper bracket for TPE, development during a season can lead to playoff success. Teams that develop should have the chance to show it off in the playoffs. Maybe a 5 team playoff would be neat to see, granted if STHS allows it.

That could be good allowing for the 4th and 5th seed teams a round of like BO3.

2 hours ago, badcolethetitan said:

I’ll put my two cents into this. I think that the M has too many teams in the playoffs, even for a development league. VHL has enough, E has arguably maybe too little. However, what I will say is making the playoffs should be for the best of the best. I don’t think teams that are barely above .500 should be making the playoffs, to be a playoff team you should be considered a “good team.” While personally, I do like the fact of potentially having more teams in the playoffs and more storylines, I want the teams who make the playoffs feel like they earned it. You could argue that the M should allow teams under .500 to make the playoffs should make it in, because it’s a development league. However the E and VHL aren’t really for development anymore. On top of that, I think making the playoffs shouldn’t be super difficult, but it shouldn’t be very easy, hence why I like 50% of the teams at the moment making the playoffs. I’m up to debate and talk about it, and there’s for sure no right or wrong answer, just my thoughts.

This is valid, but I think the M should have most teams make playoffs so newbies aren’t bored and wanting to quit if they don’t make playoffs lol