Where Are They Now? Part 2

Arce

I will be writing part 2 of this lovely saga from my computer, which is a breathe of fresh air. Typing from my phone and mostly from my poor memory let me down last weekend. Last week I gave an honorary medal to myself, and talked about some old heads who are still here. Who will our big 3 be this week? Could it be the mighty Turiasaurians Rex, or could it be Robbie Zimmers? Not this time!

[S19] Phil Gerard - C @Phil

Ticket Options | Hershey Bears Hockey

Phil Gerard was drafted 3rd overall in the S19 draft by the Seattle Bears. The Liverpool native played his first two VHL seasons with the Bears in S20, and S21 after a dominating 78 goal, 174 point season in the VHLM with Saskatoon. Following that, Gerard posted up a very impressive 85 point rookie season with the Bears and helping them make a short lived playoff push. Gerard went onto improve new career highs in S21 for the Bears with 88 points, and a new career high of 40 goals on the season. Seattle made it deeper in the playoffs as they advanced out of the first round, but saw elimination again in the next round. After two steady 80+ point seasons, Gerard was traded during Seattle's off-season fire sale to the Toronto Legion who had just eliminated them the season before. In S22, Gerard again hit 40 goals and finished with a steady 85 points. Gerard and the Legion made the Continental Cup finals but were upset by the underdog Helsinki Titans squad. Would you believe me if I told you Gerard had 85 points AGAIN in S23? Well whether you believe me or not it is a fact. Unfortunately for Gerard and the Legion, they were bounced in the first round of the S23 playoffs. Entering S24, a fire seemed to be lit under Phil Gerard's ass. He posted up a monstrous 122 points, which included 49 goals and 143 hits. All career highs by far for Gerard. The Legion made it to the finals yet again, only to fall one game short and lost to the Davos. In Gerard's final season with Toronto he put up his old consistent 40 goals, and 83 points as this was the final gasp for this Toronto core, who had gotten swept away in round 1. In his final season, Gerard joined the Vasteras Iron Eagles, who were looking for their first cup in 24 seasons. Gerard broke out with his first 50 goal season with 58 goals, and a new career high 125 points. He also showed up with 15 points in 10 games played in the playoffs and helped the Iron Eagles end their cup drought. Gerard finally was going out as a champion, and solidified his HOF status. Gerard would finish with 293 goals, 380 assists and 673 points in 504 games played. Also with a very impressive career faceoff percentage of 62%.

Where is Phil now? Oh he is still around. He had just retired Phil the Rock Johnson, and we now have a new Phil on the horizon! Phil Strasmore, who is an upcoming S85 draftee. Strasmore was drafted 4th overall by the San Diego Marlins. With their season reeling, the Marlins decided to sell house. Strasmore was delt to the Houston Bulls to help booster their playoff push against the menacing Las Vegas Aces. Stramore has 78 points in 72 games plahyed in the S84 season and the Bulls fate is still in progress. Where will this Phil rank in the ranks of the Phil's? We will soon find out!

[S20] Adam Schultz - D @Frank

Thursday NHL Rink Wrap: Vladimir Tarasenko and the booming Blues

Adam Schultz is a name that I very much remember personally. Why is that you may ask? I drafted him 5th overall in the S20 draft as GM of the Madrid Thunder, and it was one of the last things I did before handing the reigns over and disappearing for a decade. Turns out this was the first season the VHLM ran without being affiliated with a VHL team.  This allowed Scultz to be drafted and play for the Oslo Storm instead of being assigned directly to the Vasteras IK J20. Schultz had an absolute dominating VHLM season, posting up 200 points, 145 of which were assists. He also piled on 257 hits and a +74 rating. Despite this, the Storm were outclassed in the first round of the playoffs by the dominate Bern Royals. Turns out my S20 draftee wouldn't ever get a crack with the Thunder as he was dealt to the Helsinki Titans for the 4th overall pick in the next draft. Schultz put up a respectable season with 47 points as a defenseman, and blocked 118 shots. He was also a goon, racking up 140 penalty minutes. Being Frank, Schultz was able to improve in S22 with 69 points (nice), and hit the 20 goal club. This is where the article hits crossroads, as Schultz and the Titans defeated Phil Gerard's Titans in an upset in the Continental Cup finals. Now a VHL Champion, Schultz looked to elevate his game to the next level. In S23 Schultz joined the HC Davos Dynamo and hit the 97 point mark, 61 of those being assists. Schultz showed his VHLM dominance with his superior passing skills and ability to put the puck in the net. In S24 Schultz posted up 84 points during the regular season. He also posted up 10 points in 11 games as he captured his second Continental Cup with the HC Davos Dynamo, defeating the Legion in a defensive battle. In S25, and S26 Schultz had elevated his game to such a high level and never looked back. In S25 Schultz posted up a career high 110 points, 77 of which were assists and joined the 30 goal club yet again. To add even more delight, Schultz was able to capture his third championship with the Dynamo, with no doubt about his HOF status now. How could Schultz solidify his career even more? Oh why not post up a career season in S26 with a new team? Schultz joined the New York Americans, and posted up a dominate 121 points. This time 59 of those points were goals! It seemed all Schultz rockets from the point found the back of the net in S26. Schultz was poised to capture his fourth Continental Cup but was intercepted of that glory by his former organization, the Vasteras Iron Eagles. However, 3 cups and 528 points in 432 games is a career to be proud of, and made Schultz easily HOF bound.

Where is Frank now? Still around! GMing his former Quebec City organization, who is now the Vancouver Wolves. Frank currently has an upcoming S85 draftee, center John Jameson. Jameson found himself apart of his former managed San Diego Marlins. Jameson however became apart of their firesale due to the season being lost, and was traded to the Philadelphia Reapers. After the trade, Jameson took off. He posted up 66 points in 43 games with the Reapers. Overall, Jameson posted up 97 points on the season, 45 of which were goals. What does the future hold for this Irishman? We will find out in the S85 draft.

[S9] Benoit Devereux - G

Jonathan Quick - Wikipedia

Benoit Devereux is one of the best goaltenders in VHL history. I will scream this from the top of the rooftops until my final day. I had the pleasure of Deveruex being my goaltender with my first player, Zach Arce and was apart of the Dynamo dynasty with him. Devereux was automatically assigned to Avangard/Davos due to the GM rule that was instated at the time where the GM's player automatically joins that team. Devereux would play the S9 season for the HC Davos's (Avangard at the time) VHLM affiliate, the Toledo Scorpions. Devereux posted up a dominate 65-6-0 record with a .915 save percentage and 1.64 GAA, and 9 shutouts. This helped pave the way for the Scorpions to easily win the Founder's Cup Championship, the first piece of hardware for Devereux. In the final season of the Avangard Havoc, and Devereux's rookie year he led the Havoc to the playoffs with a young team. He posted up a 32-23-6 record with a .936 save percentage and 2.83 GAA. Which is all very impressive considering the shots on goal the Havoc took per game. Devereux became the first, and is still the only rookie goaltender to win the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy (Rookie of the Year). In S11 the Havoc rebranded as the HC Davos Dynamo officially. In the Dynamo's first season under GM Scotty Campbell, Devereux thrived yet again. He posted up a 51-7-6 record with a .940 save percentage, 1.95 GAA and 6 shutouts. He was the main reason the Dynamo were able to capture their first Continental Cup as Davos, and was awarded the Howe Trophy as playoff MVP to reflect that achievement. In S12, Deveruex missed the playoffs for the first time in his professional career, a feat Devereux took personally. He posted up a 39-23-6 record with a .931 save percentage and a 2.59 GAA. The save percentage was there, but the GAA is disappointing for someone of Devereux's character. S13 Devereux and the Dynamo would bounce back. Devereux posted up a 55-8-3 record with a .932 save percentage, a 2.07 GAA and 6 shutouts as he once again won the Tretiak Trophy, and won his second Continental Cup. Those two awards seemed to be yin and yang for Benoit Devereux. In S14 the Dynamo were still a built contender, but after a series of moves to re-tool, they were not the same dominating force they were. Still, a 43-19-12 record, .921 save percentage, 2.42 GAA and 6 shutouts was enough for Devereux to win his third Tretiak Trophy. This would unfortunately be the last time Devereux made the playoffs, and last memorable season. In his final two seasons, Devereux was apart of a massive rebuilding Davos squad his statistics suffered because of it and he was hit by depreciation to add insult to injury. Still, there is no doubt about Devereux's HOF status. With a career 261-159-30 record, .927 save percentage, 2.60 GAA and 27 shutouts there was no denying his entry to the Hall of Fame.

Where is Defosse/Cowboy now? It seems he is long gone. I have not heard, or seen anything from Defosse since his early days in Davos. Even when he went IA with Devereux, his goaltender still shined. There seems to be no signs Defosse will ever return, he has moved on along in life, and we wish him the best. Still, could he return? I did after 10 years, anything is possible!

Word Count: 1783
For Weeks: 8/14, 8/21/ 8/28

• 1 year later...
  • Admin
On 8/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, Arce said:

Where is Defosse/Cowboy now? It seems he is long gone. I have not heard, or seen anything from Defosse since his early days in Davos. Even when he went IA with Devereux, his goaltender still shined. There seems to be no signs Defosse will ever return, he has moved on along in life, and we wish him the best. Still, could he return? I did after 10 years, anything is possible!

He had a few more players after Devereux tbf. But think the last one was before S30... Friends with Scotty back in the day if I recall, wonder what they're all up to these days.

(I was using the search function to find some obscure players)

8 hours ago, Victor said:

He had a few more players after Devereux tbf. But think the last one was before S30... Friends with Scotty back in the day if I recall, wonder what they're all up to these days.

(I was using the search function to find some obscure players)

I learned something new today, I had no idea he made a comeback at some point haha! It must have been after I made my hiatus!