Now that the VHLM S85 Draft is Over, Who Will be Victorious and Who Will Fall?

TopTiddee2

After a hiatus from posting and moving into my dorm room for school this year, I finally can post again. And we're only less than a week away from the beginning of the VHLM season! Exciting times, as the new AGM of Vegas I'm more than ecstatic to be alongside @Shindigsas he begins another run for the Founder's Cup. I'll be unbiased as can be, and I think this season will be a lot closer than it was last season. Let's begin!

#1: MEXICO CITY KINGS

DRAFT GRADE: A

After being bounced early in the S84 Playoffs, the Mexico City Kings are entering contending mode and utilized their draft picks well. At #7 Overall, the Kings took G Jeremy Swayman, who had an outstanding season last year for the Kings. He posted a .914 SV% and a 1.73 GAA, not to mention adding 2 shutouts. He'll be a key piece for the Kings going forward. Adding penalty box legend Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Jr. adds to an exciting D core for this Mexico City team. Permitting they stay active throughout the season, Mexico City could have 7 capped players by the end of the season. I currently rank Mexico City #1 and having the best chance of winning the Founder's Cup by the end of the season.

#2: LAS VEGAS ACES

DRAFT GRADE: B+

The back-to-back defending Founder's Cup champions look to take the title home for the third straight season as GM @Shindigswill look to re-steer the ship in his rumored last season after losing numerous players from last season's championship team. Once again, Shindigs does Shindig things. Vegas probably had the most steals in the draft, grabbing players such as C Antoine Barksdale and C Wann Kerr in the later rounds of the draft. The D core consists of newly re-signed D Juan Ceson and D Grigoris Polyhronidis Jr, both who could possibly cap by the end of the season. Retaining LW Larry Abass Jr was key to keeping the Forward core in check. Newly-promoted G Joel Castle takes over as the starter for the Aces. This team could be scary early. Not to mention very active. Watch the Aces improve over the season. I currently have the Aces sitting in 2nd place and with a pretty good chance to win the cup. 

#3: HOUSTON BULLS

DRAFT GRADE: C-

Houston was also bounced from the playoffs early and is looking to conquer the Founder's Cup. Houston grabbed a nice D piece in D Reno Reinhold and got a steal in the 3rd Round with C The Mediocre One. Looking at Houston, they possess a nice F core and 2 solid D. They might need to make some moves in FA or trade some picks in S87 to solidify their D core. One concern for this team is the lack of G. May not be a bad idea to send a pick for a nice G or grab one out of FA. I could see Houston being pretty good, but it's concerning about the goalie situation. I have the Bulls finishing 3rd once it's all over.

#4: HALIFAX 21ST

DRAFT GRADE: B-

I liked Halifax's draft. They secured some key players, 2 who have already capped. A first line of Jeffrey Bezos-Vinny Lecavalier-Babay Shrimp could be a deadly line. I still question their trade when they sent Daryl Dixon to Miami in exchange for more picks, but I totally understand they need to build for the future. They could've gotten better value IMO. They'll need to do some searching in FA to fill out their depth. However, I think Halifax will be a dark horse candidate for the Founder's Cup this year.

#5: MIAMI MARAUDERS

DRAFT GRADE: A+

This team took a complete 180. Miami has finally drafted a team that can pull them out of the depths of Hell. New GM @nurxclearly did his homework and has built a solid roster just by drafting alone. Selecting Rick Grimes 1st overall was questionable, but they sent multiple picks in order to grab RW Daryl Dixon from Halifax. While I think they could've sent fewer picks or just keep the picks they had and use them as depth picks for next season, they did a really good job in a time they were considered a dead team. I don't think they currently have the pieces to contend for a championship just yet, but they are definitely on the right track and will make the playoffs this season.

#6: OTTAWA LYNX

DRAFT GRADE: C

Ottawa had a decent draft. Nothing to get too excited about. They could easily have a few capped players by the end of the season, but they are all forwards, and no D. This most likely means they are gonna have to rely on a couple forwards playing back until they figure out a solution. I think Ottawa will make the playoffs, but they'll be a one-and-done team.

#7: PHILADELPHIA REAPERS

DRAFT GRADE: C

Similar situation to Ottawa, Philly only grabbed forwards and a G in this draft. They're going to have to rely on trading or FA to build a solid D core. However, only a couple D need to be added and I think Philly could be slotted into that #5 spot in front of Miami. With the right pieces, they could be a dark horse candidate.

#8: SASKATOON WILD

DRAFT GRADE: D

Unlike the previous two teams, Saskatoon has a D core to build on. But they still need a lot of pieces to make a push into the playoffs. It's going to take some work in FA to build up said solid squad. 

---------------- PLAYOFF CUTOFF LINE --------------

#9: SAN DIEGO MARLINS

DRAFT GRADE: D-

San Diego didn't have a lot to work with in this draft, and they are going to struggle out of the gates. The thing I liked @jacobcarson877doing was grabbing lower TPE players to develop into stars. Only reason I gave them a D- was the talent they selected was lower.  I think they should keep this core throughout the season then build on it once the next draft comes. I think San Diego misses this year, but TBH might be for the better. Higher pick in the draft.

#10: MISSISSAUGA HOUNDS

DRAFT GRADE: F

Mississauga took the biggest drop this offseason. They selected really good players who will cap by the end of the season, but they only grabbed 3 players in total. I think they need to build through FA and grab some active, lower TPE players to build around. As it stands now, Mississauga sits in the basement.

All in all, this should be a fun season to watch. It will be a lot more competitive, considering Miami finally kicked it into high gear and many teams are loaded with talent. I think Vegas will have a hard time to 3-peat.

GET MAD AT ME.

1150 words. Claim for week 9/4, only because I like writing.

Edited by TopTiddee2

11 minutes ago, TopTiddee2 said:

bold to put Miami 5th. This team is highly competitive and with the right waiver pickups can compete. I would say they are 3rd/4th.

1 hour ago, Grape said:

Mississauga deserves an F- the players they got were all inactives.

Either way, those players will have some type of impact, regardless of being IA or not

23 hours ago, TopTiddee2 said:

Either way, those players will have some type of impact, regardless of being IA or not

And now they dropped those players so instead of an F-, I give them a Z