a tale of two Brothers // Halftime summary

Daniel Janser

Bild

Graphic courtesy of Leandrofg

(Marcel's stats/Daniel's stats)

It has been a while since we last reported from our two intrepid hockey heroes. In the meantime, Calgary reached the halfway mark and we think it is a good time to catchup with some states and the Janser boys.

The Wranglers are the cock on the dungheap (so to speak) and show a 24-4-8 record, with 127 goals for (league best) and 91 goals against (tied fifth in the league). The power play efficiency is at 18.87% (good for ninth in the league) while their penaltykilling shows a successrate of 84.40% (fourth in the league). 

Despite having physical players such as Janser and Strasmore in their ranks, the Albertan team is only 8th in hits dished and 7th in penalties suffered. 

The designated centers Janser and Gonçalves (who stepped up to the hashmark more than 3'000 times combined) show a successrate at the draw of 63.11% (Janser, league leader) and a respectable 58.96% (Gonçalves) respectively. This ensures that most of the time, Calgary starts the game in possession of the puck, and does not have to waste energy chasing the same.

In the shots against category, the team does a good job to deny the opposition shot lanes. Only Chicago allowed less than Calgary's 1111 shots against (1005). This combined with Dahl's best saving rate since he entered the league (.928) explains, why the Wranglers tend to win more often than they lose. If you add the improved offensive output from everyone who already wore a Wranglers uniform last season, this is a recipe for success.

One question mark remains, as the Canadians have still some backup games to fit in their schedule and Pedersen sofar was not able to shine in net. Alas, he needs time to grow and we are convinced that his play will improve.

Wolanin and Janser have been amongst the most prolific goal scorer for most of the season and Dan even mounted the peak of the scoring race. He scores at a lower pace than last season, however he sets up Wolanin more often. It is also remarkable that all skaters show a positive +/- rating, which indicates that the second line is pitching in as well. Indeed if we look at the first forward formation compared to the second line the score is 55:44 and in game winning goals the score is 11:5. 

We had a chat with the Captain about his take on Calgary's outlook for the season and this is what he said:

DJ: 'We are certainly in a good spot. However, we need to keep working hard and cannot be complacent. The other teams are just waiting for a sign of weakness from our squad and will certainly take advantage should we not give 100% in any given match.'

JLL: 'At the moment it looks that you will need to pass the Brooks trophy on to someone else this season. Does this bother you?'

DJ: 'Not as much as it probably should. I think the team's offense is in order and as long as I contribute to the tally, I do not mind who gets the scoring title. It is also of note that Landon has improved his scoring compared to last year and I have focused on the face-off's and kind of neglected to better my offensive tools. It is just natural that he would catch up in the goal department.'

JLL: 'Some fans compare you and Leandro and think that the Portuguese Wonder does not play as hard as you.'

DJ: 'Look, if someone plays professional hockey, they are not soft. Do I have more checks than Leandro? Absolutely. But let us not forget that Leandro is a different kind of player. He is an exceptional skater, has smooth hands and his wristshot is lethal. Gonçalves is clearly been drafted for his pure offensive talent, while I was drafted as a two-way forward. Hard work, a never-give-up mentality and let's be honest, some luck meant that I scored more than my usual point per game last season. I need to work hard for my points and I do not want it any other way. The physicality of my game fuels my passion for the sport and gives me energy. I need to be on the edge to be at my best. Leandro is more of an artist. You should see him in practice. This kid has a passion for the sport I have rarely seen and he tries out new moves every practice until he can do them blindfolded. Once he mastered one to perfection, he looks for the next one, rinse and repeat. He makes getting on the highlight reel look easy, but we know how many (sometimes frustrating) hours he spends to get there. So you could say that we both work hard for our points. It is just that my work is in the limelight during the matches, and Leandro's is during practice, when there are no cameras around.'

JLL: 'Marcel has already surpassed his last season's points total. Any thoughts you would like to share?'

DJ: 'Of course I am happy for him. He is very dedicated and more adjusted to the VHL's level. He will never be an offensive star on the blue line like GoodBrandSun or Johansson. But he is a reliable shutdown defender, who is not taking unnecessary risks.'

JLL: 'Okay that are all the questions I had. Thanks for your time.'

DJ: 'My pleasure.'

Please find the stats of the Swiss siblings posted here below:

Marcel: 36gp, 2g, 24a, 26pts, +7, 46 PIM, 51 hits, 54sb, 2ppg

Daniel: 36gp, 23g, 36a, 59pts, +26, 68 PIM, 146 hits, 24sb, 3gwg, 3ppg, 63.11FO%, 10 First Star distinctions

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130003-a-tale-of-two-brothers-a-new-hope/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130042-a-tale-of-two-brothers-chugging-along/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130178-a-tale-of-two-brothers-moving-on-quickly/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130233-a-tale-of-two-brothers-quarter-and-diming/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130353-a-tale-of-two-brothers-a-captains-disclaimer/