Why I Stay in the VHL

Phil

There has been a lot of talk generated by @Tate's article over the last 24 hours. I am not here to dispute, refute, or agree(fute - damn my need for alliteration), the article. Rather, I would like to shed some light on why I stay in the VHL, if for no other reason than it's a good topic to give me my sweet TPE.

No Commitments- @Ricer13doesn't need to shit himself here, but there's nothing stopping me from walking away at any point. I am a recent new dad and will some weeks find it difficult to get all my point tasks in. This is a league for recreation and so the vast majority of people will always understand that irl comes first. In my prime, I did a lot for the league. I enjoyed the platform and wanted to give back to the community. I was rewarded by being inducted into the HoF as a builder - by far the bigger honour the league has bestowed on me. But now, I feel like I can just sit back and relax and enjoy the league how I want to. 

The Community - whether there are toxic or inattentive members here, I won't comment on, but this is a very large community and it's got some fantastic people in it. I choose who I interact with to enhance my enjoyability from the league. I've been with this league for well over a decade so I have had relationships with some members for a very long time. That definitely keeps me coming back.

The History - 12 (13 now?) years is a long time to be part of something. I have grown up with the league, as the league has with me. I've watched members graduate high school, college, get married, have kids. Even if it's not on a very personal level, I have a deep connection with the league and its members. I try to make the VHL the place I want it to be and see what I want - encouraging, welcoming, compassionate. I try to pay that forward with all my interactions. 

• Head Moderator
6 hours ago, Phil said:

There has been a lot of talk generated by @Tate's article over the last 24 hours. I am not here to dispute, refute, or agree(fute - damn my need for alliteration), the article. Rather, I would like to shed some light on why I stay in the VHL, if for no other reason than it's a good topic to give me my sweet TPE.

No Commitments- @Ricer13doesn't need to shit himself here, but there's nothing stopping me from walking away at any point. I am a recent new dad and will some weeks find it difficult to get all my point tasks in. This is a league for recreation and so the vast majority of people will always understand that irl comes first. In my prime, I did a lot for the league. I enjoyed the platform and wanted to give back to the community. I was rewarded by being inducted into the HoF as a builder - by far the bigger honour the league has bestowed on me. But now, I feel like I can just sit back and relax and enjoy the league how I want to. 

The Community - whether there are toxic or inattentive members here, I won't comment on, but this is a very large community and it's got some fantastic people in it. I choose who I interact with to enhance my enjoyability from the league. I've been with this league for well over a decade so I have had relationships with some members for a very long time. That definitely keeps me coming back.

The History - 12 (13 now?) years is a long time to be part of something. I have grown up with the league, as the league has with me. I've watched members graduate high school, college, get married, have kids. Even if it's not on a very personal level, I have a deep connection with the league and its members. I try to make the VHL the place I want it to be and see what I want - encouraging, welcoming, compassionate. I try to pay that forward with all my interactions. 

Who are you?

7 hours ago, Phil said:

I am a recent new dad and will some weeks find it difficult to get all my point tasks in.

Good article and congrats on the new baby!  I have a month old myself so I am feeling the new dad vibes!

On 12/6/2022 at 11:30 AM, Phil said:

I thought I was the reason 🥰

To all the new dads take a moment to enjoy it, what you have right now won't last long, it does go by very quickly, mine is going to be 22 soon.  Also note it goes by quickly, so all the things that cause issue (sleepless nights, additional costs of diapers, etc) will be gone before you know it.  I luckily was able to enjoy something from every stage, including new experiences like sharing recreational activities like the VHL. Word of warning, every milestone you want them to achieve has it's own struggles.  Walking quickly turns to running away from you, talking quickly turns to talking back and determination quickly turns to stubbornness. Enjoy your journey.