Theme Week: Eagles - First Gen

Greg_Di

NHL Seattle chooses Palm Springs as site for new AHL farm team | The  Seattle Times

I originally started in VHL a long time ago, don't remember exactly what season but it was the days of manual updates. I was much younger and I believe I only played for a few seasons before stopping. Eventually I found my way back in S66 with the creation of Greg Eagles (Goalie) and from that creation it has spawned the Eagles legacy. I am now on my 3rd player and have been having a great time.

Today I will discuss about my first gen experience with Greg Eagles.

Initial Registration:

I re-found VHL through what I think was an email from the recruitment team, emailing out all old players. I remember taking a look at the link and checking it out. I wanted to see how the league has changed as I remember I was never a fan of the manual updates. To my surprise everything was now automated so I decided to take the plunge and sign up to see how things have changed. Since signing up I have really enjoyed being in the league, hence why I am on my 3rd player. 

I signed with San Diego as a FA in the VHLM. I believe InstantRockstar was the gm back then but I might be wrong. I remember having a great first gen experience, the locker room was great and was getting lots of help from the GM down to the players. After the first season, I went into my first ever draft. While I started as a max earner, not many people knew who I was and back then with the stigma of new gen players not going high overall (which does make sense sometimes as you don't want to waste a high pick on someone who you are not sure will earn or even stay active), I ended up being drafted 19th overall by Vancouver who was managed by Beaviss.

He took a chance on me and looking back at Eagle's career, I think Beaviss had a huge draft steal at number 19. With my first gen player I hit 1366 TPE and had a pretty successful career.

Award and Cup wins.

72 RIG Continental Cup
72 RIG Daisuke Kanou Trophy
70 VAN Greg Clegane Trophy
70 VAN Aidan Shaw Trophy
69 VAN Victory Cup
67 VAN Continental Cup

Not bad for a 19th overall drafted first gen. Vancouver and Riga (gm'd by Hedge) was a great first re-introduction into the league and one of the reasons I continue to play. There was never any drama in the locker room and the gm's were upfront about what they wanted for the team. Since then I have been lucky with my other players in having great gm's in Ricer and Frank who care about their teams, players and always willing to help out with any build questions or league questions.

To all other first gen's, stick it out for a full career with your player and see how it goes. Don't base the league on your first few games in the minors, base it on a full career. If you give it a chance you will see how fun this league is and how fun it is to see your player progress, see if you can win any cups/awards and if you can get your player into the HoF. I have one awards with my players and cups as well now I want to chase that HoF nomination. I don't know if I will ever reach it but I will definitely try. My 3rd player, Henry, will probably be my highest earning TPE player to date and while he is currently struggling in the points department, we do have a few more seasons to try and reach that HoF goal.

Edited by Greg_Di

• Greg_Di changed the title to Theme Week: Eagles - First Gen

Yeah, Manual updates would have killed this league for me. Not sure how many I have tried in the past only to give up due to the complex and waiting nature of the manual updates that never seem to be updated or updated correctly. It was good when I joined in the Great Recruitment of S75 we had automatic updates here.

Happy to have you rejoin the league and continue the tradition of Eagles flying in Vancouver; but we are the wolves!! LOL!!

eagle GIFwolf GIF