First Gen Experience - Theme Week

Girts

My experience as a 1st gen. 

I joined the league briefly in 2014 but retired my player a day later and was never drafted. The league looked cool but I was a bit overwhelmed on what exactly to do and realized I probably didn't have the time to make a good player. I then returned 8 years later to make my first real player Girts Galvins. 

After creating, I needed quite a bit of help to get going. Thankfully I was drafted to Las Vegas and my new GM's @AJW and @MubbleFubbleswere happy to answer all my questions (I had a lot of them). These guys were great for a 1st gen player and without their help I would probably not still be in the league. Similarly the help I got @FrostBeard and @Shindigs in Bratislava and of course @dlambin Warsaw were all instrumental in Girts becoming the player he is today. 

Starting with my first season in Las Vegas, I was drafted 41st overall as an unknown player and think I became a pretty good value pick for the Aces. This was a real fun season, I was learning about the league, what tasks to do, how to improve my graphics and my player was doing fantastic. My GM's recognized my hard work and by the end of the season I was on the 1st line with the best players on the team. Girts finished with 42 goals and 91 points. I believe we had a great playoff run also and Girts was one of the top scorers. Just a great all-around experience, I was really enjoying the league and looking forward to the next step. 

My 2nd season was in Beardislava where Girts was drafted 12th overall by the Watchmen. This was a really great spot to land and once again I lucked out with GM's in Frostbeard and Shindigs, they helped me take my game to the next level and shindigs sent me amazing charts he made analyzing my play in the sim. That was really something and I learned a lot. It was a successful season in Bratislava as Girts had 32 goals and was becoming a real good player. 

On to the VHL where I was drafted 17th overall by Warsaw along with my Bratislava teammate and defensive beast Brian Payne @Scurvy. Hit the jackpot with DLamb as our GM and quickly decided I wanted to be a great player for the Predators. My first VHL season wasn't what I imagined as my points were pretty bad but the team was doing well and I was still enjoying things. Year two and three were fantastic as Girts became a good VHL goal scorer with 29 and 27 goals and we won the cup in S84. That was a great experience and something I will always remember. 

This season Girts is lighting it up and seeing my name near the top of the Player Leaders all year is pretty awesome. Really enjoying the league and after a bit of an overwhelming learning curve as a first gen I finally feel comfortable.

If I could suggest anything for a 1st gen, it's don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't know what to do. I've found people here to be very friendly and helpful anytime I've interacted with them. The site can be a bit overwhelming at first but stick with it and you'll eventually become a pro.