My First Gen Experience...

Tetricide

My journey, as have countless others, started in the VHLM and it was off-season. For the season 84 VHLM draft, my player was selected by the Saskatoon Wild in the 4th round, which came as a slight surprise since the Las Vegas Aces GM at the time @Shindigs was the only one who reached out for a draft interview. I remember scrambling around searching for answers on how to properly obtain TPE before the dread setting in to ask around because I didn't want to seem like an idiot that didn't know how to read. Eventually, I had a routine down of what tasks to do and how to claim them, but I still didn't have a concrete understanding of a lot of basic things like capped versus uncapped TPE. At some point, my player was traded to the Mexico City Kings. The culture in the locker room was alive and electrifying, yet welcoming. Every day was engaging and exciting to be in the locker room, and while I don't expect it from all locker rooms I think it's certainly a contributing factor of retaining first gens like myself. You can all blame that bar being set on @badcolethetitan. #BlameCole

In the off-season, it was just racking up TPE and waiting on the VHL/E drafts. I didn't have many GMs reach out for E draft interviews, but I was pretty happy that my player was picked 16th overall by Oslo Storm.. As far as the VHL, I had several reach out and it was a lot more fun to engage with GMs who didn't want to just ask a couple same-y questions most asked and were also more than happy to answer questions I had for them. My player was drafted 17th overall for the VHL draft by the Prague Phantoms and absolutely can't wait to start there next season. @Acydburn has been super helpful in pointing me in the right direction of where I want my player to be when he gets the call up, as well as any questions I have.

In this past off-season I applied and was chosen to be the GM for Team USA in the WJC, which was actually an incredible run for someone who has no experience using something like the STHS and we got silver. I also applied for the Calgary Wranglers AGM position and was also chosen for it, which was mind-blowing to me. Not only do @Ricer13 and I get along really well, we also share the same birthday! The locker room is always poppin' and I couldn't be more happy to learn the ropes from someone like him.

Playing for Oslo has been fun and rewarding! We've definitely had a lot of ups and downs, but we're slowly working our way back up the ladder. I'm currently capped at the 400 TPE point, so I'm stuck until this season ends to make my player stronger. I know I won't have 900+ TPE by the time the next season comes along and my player won't be as strong as I want him to be, but that's where the fun and grind really begins. It's been a while since the last one, but I started an interview series called "Between the Periods with Bobbus Dingus ft. Nikolas Kauppi" and it was somewhat inspired by Narduar in his mannerisms -- the only difference is Bob asks a question that goes a bit far and pisses Kauppi off. Being on a forum/bulletin board has also brought me back to making forum signatures...something that I haven't done for over 10 years. I love the criticism I've been getting on my recent ones and it just makes me want to do better.

I didn't even know simulation leagues existed. If it weren't for my friend @Trunkxolotl I'd still be in the dark about it to this day, but thanks to him I found a place where the teams are driven by GMs with a real sense of passion and pride. The players revel together with their ability to score, defend, and win -- all in hopes of taking home their league's Cup title. A community that takes all these experiences and puts pen to paper to show off their bravado to the world, and rightfully so.

711 words, PT for week ending 12/11.