Popular Contributors, what is this?

JCarson

Popular Contributor, maybe one day. 

Near the bottom of the forum there is a section called Popular Contributors, which posts the change in a members reputation. I look at this frequently and never see myself there. I wonder what it takes to make that list. So, I dived a little bit into it.  

Reputation, from what I can deduce, on the forum is nothing more than the summation of reactions given to other people’s postings or reactions received by others. It is something that can be manipulated if one wants to. All it would take is for someone to open several random postings and react Fire, Like, Hmmm.  

Right now, the all-time leader in reputation is Victor at 9853. That is impressive. To have taken the opportunity to react to that many articles, media spots, and other postings, or to have produced enough postings that others reacted to is very impressive.  

So you heard it here, the best way to become popular is to react to everyone else’s posts, click those emoji’s share the love, like, or whatever other emoji you prefer and get recorded in VHL forum history as having the highest reputation. 

25 minutes ago, JCarson said:

Near the bottom of the forum there is a section called Popular Contributors, which posts the change in a members reputation. I look at this frequently and never see myself there. I wonder what it takes to make that list. So, I dived a little bit into it.  

Reputation, from what I can deduce, on the forum is nothing more than the summation of reactions given to other people’s postings or reactions received by others. It is something that can be manipulated if one wants to. All it would take is for someone to open several random postings and react Fire, Like, Hmmm.  

Right now, the all-time leader in reputation is Victor at 9853. That is impressive. To have taken the opportunity to react to that many articles, media spots, and other postings, or to have produced enough postings that others reacted to is very impressive.  

So you heard it here, the best way to become popular is to react to everyone else’s posts, click those emoji’s share the love, like, or whatever other emoji you prefer and get recorded in VHL forum history as having the highest reputation. 

you only get reputation when someone reacts to your posts, not the other way

Yeah, it's likes received. Which I don't think anyone should care about, but it doesn't stop a lot of people (myself 3 years ago included) from thinking it's a huge deal.

I think in general, reputation should be (and is) something that just happens naturally--you should be reacting to things you like, and putting in effort to your content should result in more likes coming your way. I'll react to things I really like, but it does annoy me when an article tags half the league when most of those tagged aren't talked about in any meaningful way and the author is just looking for views/likes.

46 minutes ago, JCarson said:

TL;DR be member since the Genesis and you have a high reputation

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Daniel Janser said:

TL;DR be member since the Genesis and you have a high reputation

I mean only like 2013 onward is even counting. Previous to that would have been a different forum and rep system.