Boga’s Hype Train Derails

Bojovnik

SEATTLE, January 30, 2023 (Shaiba.ru) – Before S87 started, the word on the streets was that this was going to be Yaroslav Bogatyrev’s season. The big bodied Seattle Bears forward said himself that he was going to be the frontrunner for the Dustin Funk award, the honour given out every season to the VHL’s most improved player.

Bogatyrev registered just 31 points last season, meaning that many were predicting that the Russian’s breakout season was on the doorstep. However, 11 games into the new VHL season, Bogatyrev has just five points. Where has it all gone wrong?

“It’s difficult to say what the issue is at the moment. We had some good wins at the start, and as we did last season, we have one of the best defenses in the league. I feel super comfortable in my defensive game at the moment. We’re playing well. However, the goals just aren’t going in for me at the moment,” Bogatyrev said after the Bears’ shootout loss to the defending Continental Cup champions Vancouver Wolves on Sunday.

There is certainly a case to be made that Bogatyrev has simply had a drastically unlucky start to the season. Bogatyrev is currently shooting at less than a 4% clip, having mustered just 2 goals on 49 shots on goal. Despite that, others on the team, including Hulk Hogan 2, have come out of the gates blazing and are on course for potentially career seasons.

“The management has let it known that I have to be better, otherwise I’m likely going to be out. If that’s the decision they feel like taking, well I’ve got nothing to say on that. I’m just going to keep working hard and ensuring that I’m playing responsible hockey at both ends of the ice. I think I still bring value to the team,” Bogatyrev said.

The Russian forward’s poor performances have led to some criticism online by Bears fans over their decision to take him with the second overall pick in the S86 Entry Draft. Some commentators are already using the word bust to describe Bogatyrev.

“I think they have the right to say that, if I’m honest. I still feel that I was the right person to go at number two. Look at the other guys from the draft. They were either in the VHLE last season, or they also struggled to get near a point per game. The VHL has become super tough for young players to come in and contribute right away. I hope they can still be patient with me, as I know that once it clicks, things will start to go right for me,” Bogatyrev remarked.

“Perhaps I’m holding my stick too tightly, perhaps the chemistry on the top line has yet to work as it should be. But we still have time, we’re still in the playoff hunt, and at the end of the day, I don’t care what I’m scoring as long as the team is winning, and as long as I’m making my own contribution to making this team win,” the Russian forward concluded.

Edited by Bojovnik