Season 80 Redraft

MetalToday

There was a lot of players in the season 80 draft that has had a phenomenal career with their respective teams. There were some crazy draft steals over in the season 80 draft, so what would the draft look if it was repicked today? As we stand, the players in this draft still have one more year to prove themselves, but many of the third and fourth rounders have already retired, so any retired players will not be in the redraft. Another thing to mention is if the player did not play a single VHL game then the player will not be in the redraft.

Before getting into this, there are 2 retirees that must be mentioned before starting. These 2 players very well could be in the top 15 in the redraft, but without drafting retired players I cannot force them in unfortunately. So special mentions to Armani Calamari who retired in season 85, and David Davis who retired in season 86 (and who could probably be in the top 10, if not top 5 if still playing).

24. Finn Davis

Finn Davis was drafted 29thoverall, and only played 2 seasons for LA back in season 83 and season 84. With 64 points in 144 games.

23. Bradley Buzzer

Buzzer was drafted 31stoverall, and played 3 seasons in the VHL, racking up 197 games played 51 points and 289 hits.

22. James glove dropper

James was drafted 26th overall and played in 360 games with 101 points and 270 hits over the 4 VHL seasons.

21. Flynn Remy

Drafted 18thoverall Remy played in 5 VHL seasons and collected 248 points in the 432 games as a defenseman.  Also collects a total of 775 blocked shots during his VHL career.

20. Sting Chameleon

Sting was drafted 23rdoverall and has had a respectable VHL career with 241 points, 435 hits and 695 blocked shots in 360 games.

19. Florida Man

Florida Man has not been great, with his career collecting his 385 points and 457 hits in 432 games, the 13thoverall pick has not panned out to be as good as believed. However, his consistent play in the VHL shows he might be a real leader in the locker room.

18. Kyosti Karjalainen

Kyosti was picked 25thoverall and has been good for Moscow, collecting 374 points, and 497 hits in 432 games.

17. Logan Ablar

Drafted 12thoverall Ablar played in 6 VHL seasons playing in 504 games with 365 points, 524 hits and 637 blocked shots.

16. Matt Avens

Avens had crazy point and goal totals back in his VHL rookie year, 132 points and 55 goals, but did not win the rookie trophy. This 33rdoverall pick has had an amazing tenor in the VHL with 420 points in 432 games and 465 hits to compliment that. Good steal if you ask me.

15. Juice Box

Box was drafted 20thoverall and played in 432 games with 299 points as a defenseman. Also adding 584 hits and 901 blocked shots in total.

14. Kyle Peace

This may hurt a little, but 5thoverall pick Kyle Peace has not panned out like Toronto wanted, with 504 games played, 507 points, and 577 hits, some would say he might be one of the bigger draft flops.

13. Nils Godlander

Nils was an 11thoverall pick and has had a couple good years in the league, however the player has been extremely inconsistent. With 432 games played, and 477 points and 666 hits he is good, but hard to put higher on this list.

12. Corey Kitson

Corey has been one of the best defensemen in the league since joining, with 508 points, 580 hits, and 1168 blocked shots in 576 games, he has done a lot for his teams. Drafted 6thoverall he has proven himself but may not have quite been top 6 good.

11. Ryan Vidot

Ryan has had a decent go on the Dragons, playing 504 games and collecting 536 points. He started in the VHL being a great 2 way forward collecting over 200 blocked shots in those first 2 seasons, but immediately stopped blocking shots after that, I guess it hurt too much. It has been a solid career for this 16thoverall pick.

10. Alessandro Nano

Nano was picked 8thoverall and is a bit of a two-way defender with 440 points, 1240 hits, and 963 blocked shots in 504 games, he can be trustworthy up and down the ice. I believe the pick to be a bit high considering the production, but it is still good.

9. Sven Eightnine

Sven has killed the league with his defensive talents, as he is with only 371 points, 1324 hits and 1099 blocked shots make up for it. This 15thoverall pick was right were you want a player like this, deep and dependable.

8. Matty Fire

Fire has been a driving force in the VHL, picked 2ndoverall and with 646 points, 1157 hits in 576 games, it’s been an amazing ride for Fire, but it’s hard to say if this is the 2nd overall worthy. He impresses, but not as much as one may want to form a high pick like that. With 8 seasons played though, it is an accomplishment.

7. Saku Kotkakoivu

Saku has been an amazing force in the league, hitting the 613 points in 504 games, and 1416 hits to compliment that more. However, being a 3rdoverall pick, it is hard to say if it was slightly too high, but Saku has been a forceful 2-way forward in the league.

6. Zach Kisslinger

Zach has no doubt been a heavy producer on Warsaw, hitting franchise records on the young Warsaw franchise. Zach was picked 14thoverall and has collected 652 points and 1536 hits in 504 games. This is a 2-way player that has been very dependable, and I might even say a great steal from that kind of production.

5. Vinny Detroit

Vinny has been explosive in the VHL, many teams hate playing him, he is good on the puck, but what he really specializes with is laying the body. Vinny has 487 points and 2852 hits in 576 games. The 9th overall selection has really shown what he can do defensively, and it is hard to move a player like this lower on the list when he is an absolute beast.

4. Oskar Lindbergh

And now we reach the first goalie on the list after 20 other picks. Oscar was picked 4thoverall, right where he should’ve been, it’s hard to move him away for what he has provided for the last 5 seasons. Yes, it is hard to compare goalies with players, but when goaltenders are this consistent, it only makes sense to have them high. Oscar had his first 2 seasons a bit lower than he’d like but fixed himself in the next 5 seasons. Over 7 seasons and 450 games played, Oscar averaged 0.921 save percentage, and 2.79 goals against average. His 214-187-42 record might be meh, but from a mediocre Toronto team he was on for most of his career, that can happen. I always find it hard to judge goalies on wins as hockey is a team sport, but the rest of his stats are amazing, so I think this 4th overall pick is fair.

3. Hari Singh Nalwa

Hari was picked 10thoverall making him one of the biggest steals in the draft, this is because he is a defense putting up better points than most other players. Hari has 504 games under his belt, with 531 points, 737 hits, and 1175 blocked shots. When he is one of the top defensive point producers every season and can play good defensively too, it is hard to say anything bad about his game, he is one of the best players out of this draft.

2. Brendan Marner

Oh this might be controversial, and maybe even bias I know, but I think its fair, just hear me out. Brendan Marner was picked 21st overall and had a slow start to his career. He has been one of Warsaws top contributors since he started playing there with only 432 games played, he has 579 points and 1371 hits. This means he’s played less than anyone in my top 12, but only has less points than only 3 people on this entire list, and all of them are in the top 8. In fact, not one person on this list has hit 100+ points in at least 4 seasons in the VHL, Marner did. He can also lay you down with his crazy his in such little game sample size. If Marner was VHL ready back in season 80, or 81, this might not have been a controversial pick, other than me being the one writing this… But yeah I would consider this the biggest hit in the draft, picked 21stoverall with this amazing career.

1. Xavier Booberry

I would be shocked is Booberry was not number one in other lists, the goaltender is just too good. Booberry was picked 1stoverall, keeping him right where he belongs with his 8 seasons, 456 games played, 0.925 save percentage, and 2.68 goals against average. He has a 240-163-41 which is quite good as well. It is also worth mentioning that he had only 1 bad seasons as his rookie year with an 0.909 save percentage, and his next season was only okay considering what he did the rest of his career. Booberry is the best goalie around right now, and franchise players should go here, right where they belong, 1st overall.

What do you think of the picks? Is there anything you would change? What is your season 80 redraft order?

1600+ words

Edited by MetalToday

20 minutes ago, MetalToday said:

He started in the VHL being a great 2 way forward collecting over 200 blocked shots in those first 2 seasons, but immediately stopped blocking shots after that, I guess it hurt too much

I position swapped from defense to forward

1 hour ago, MetalToday said:

Ahh I thought that might have been the case, but I didn't know how to check.

image.thumb.png.443f4c41533dfc790acdf280359b82ec.png

In the finances tab you can see that Vidot bought a position switch in season 83. Just in case you need it for the S81 redraft ;)

Review

this is an excellent review of the draft class for this year and where you’d pick them if the same draft took place today. I feel like I got a good accurate description of each player and their strengths, along with what they’ve accomplished so far in their careers. This also could be great insight when a lot of these people recreate in the near future as to what they  are capable of in terms of the players they create

Just now, KRZY said:

Review

this is an excellent review of the draft class for this year and where you’d pick them if the same draft took place today. I feel like I got a good accurate description of each player and their strengths, along with what they’ve accomplished so far in their careers. This also could be great insight when a lot of these people recreate in the near future as to what they  are capable of in terms of the players they create

Also I know it’s only midway through most careers in this draft but a S84 redraft would be awesome aswell