winners and losers of S88 free agency

Safe to say I can make some conclusions about this free agency. It was pretty mid, but some notable things did happen. So here's my thoughts about it.

WINNERS

:dcd: DC Dragons :dcd:

Mostly because they signed Matt Avens. He is still a reliable second liner that could be sent in trade deadline for some more assets. Or just make DC less bad, that's a decent thing to do. Not that they were horrible to begin with, but with some luck they even could mess up with other contenders for the wildcard spot. Though I'm not sure if they really want that so I expect Avens to be on the block at some point. Doesn't takes away my grade though.

:nya:New York Americans :nya:

The one moment of our lives when we don't have to make fun of their mediocrity. They were very quiet this offseason, but could make up with this free agency. The bigger fish Vinny Detroit plus a fine player in Bridgers went to the Big Apple. Which is definitely a win in my books. I know the reason of Detroit signing wasn't really about contending for the chip and more about racking up hits. Still, a fine addition to the forward lineup which became somewhat decent. They still have ways to go before becoming the actual contender, but I think these signings can surely put them into the wildcard spot. And that alone is something to talk about. Their last playoff trip dated in...S78! Matter of fact, a wildcard round appearance as they lost there. And I don't even remember the last time they made it further than wildcard. S73? So yes, this FA has been a success for the team that is desperate of any sort of success.

There have been more teams that were signing lower TPE players, notably Malmo and DC. Either for rounding up the roster or giving players a chance to play in pros. Good on all of them. However, there is one team that is having a disappointing offseason so far outside of drafting.

LOSERS

:chi:Chicago Phoenix :chi:

The reasons were mentioned in my last article. But even with that I think they could've done more in this free agency. With Detroit or decent second line options being on the market. Yet the first offer came in just 6 hours ago when all of them were signed by other teams. For inactive Cobalt Burns. For a team that only had (and still has) 3 forwards on roster you would expect at least an offer for these players. There are some words going on that Chicago wants to make a trade, but for now they're burnt out. Yes, I did repeat myself from last article. Deal with it.

Nothing much to say about other teams. I think Helsinki also could've done more, but with the EU conference being a dogfight most of times; I think Rayz just didn't want to get his team in too early. Although was there any reason to trade for rentals in the first place? Not sure exactly.

That's it and I'm out.