Boga Buzzing after Strong Seattle Start

Bojovnik

SEATTLE, April 10, 2023 (Shaiba.ru) – Whisper it quietly, the Seattle Bears could be the team to beat in the VHL this season. The Bears are the only side not to have lost a game in regulation at the time of writing, and they have already stretched out a five-point lead in the North American Conference ahead of the New York Americans. Of course, it’s far too early to say if the Bears will end up storming through the pack this season, but the signs are good.

Optimism was already high in the Seattle camp going into S88. The Bears rallied together in the playoffs to knock out the top seed Vancouver Wolves in the conference semi-finals, and put up a strong test against the Calgary Wranglers in the Conference Finals before eventually bowing out. On Sunday, the Bears got revenge against the Alberta side, winning 4-2 thanks to two goals by Tavish DeGroot.

Things appear to be looking up for the Bears. Vasile Lamb and the aforementioned DeGroot have continued their good form since joining the team at the trade deadline. Additionally, new acquisitions Mikhail Kovalchuk and goaltender Xaiver Booberry have fitted right in.

Another player who has made a major contribution to Seattle’s solid start has been Russian forward Yaroslav Bogatyrev. The coaching staff has made the decision to pair Bogatyrev with young star center Randy Bobandy and the veteran two-way forward Vasile Lamb. Immediately this trio appears to have the chemistry needed to help Bogatyrev push on after two torrid seasons with Seattle.

On opening night, Bogatyrev registered a goal as the Bears beat the Vancovuer Wolves. He followed this up with a goal and an assist in a shootout loss to the Los Angeles Stars, and a two-assist performance in an overtime victory against the Vancouver Wolves. At the time of writing, Bogatyrev has 4+9 through 9 games, a points-per-game clip that is almost double the marker he set over his first 144 games in the Victory Hockey League.

“It’s been an amazing start to the season. The signs were great during training camp, and we’ve started the season exactly as we wanted to. We’ve got two lines that are consistently scoring, and guys are contributing from the blueline as well. Additionally, it was tough to lose Dusty Wilson, but Xavier has come in and he’s done an amazing job. Of course, we know his pedigree, so we expected him to do this, but it’s been a great boost to the team,” Bogatyrev told a Shaiba.ru reporter via Zoom call.

Over the past two seasons, Bogatyrev cut a forlorn figure at times on the roster of the Seattle Bears. He often appeared to be frustrated, both on and off the ice, as his performances weren’t reflected on the scoresheet or in victories for the Seattle Bears. He made several media appearances appearing to be completely low on confidence, but in our recent discussion, Bogatyrev appeared to be upbeat. After facing a constant barrage of negative comments on social media, now the Bears fans appear to have turned in favour of their Russian forward.

“I knew coming into this season that things would have to change. I’ve spent too long over here in North America to blame it on the acclimatization period. I’m now in my third season with the Seattle Bears, and everyone has told me that it was time for me to step up, and to start making a proper contribution that would help lead this team to victory. To get the start that I have this season has been fantastic, but I need to do more, I need to maintain this form, and I need to help ensure that the Seattle Bears go on to make a proper playoff run, and a proper run at winning the Continental Cup,” the Nizhnii Tagil native said.

When asked about what he felt was different this time round, Bogatyrev said that his chemistry with Bobandy and Lamb was playing a major factor in his current confidence on the ice, and that this confidence was translating into success.

“I know that expectations were high when Seattle drafted both Randy and myself so highly in back-to-back drafts. Playing with Randy is fantastic. He’s so skilled, and he plays like he’s been in the league for 10 seasons already. He knows all the tricks, and I think that we can do some amazing things together. Also, having Vasile with us is super important. He’s done it all in the VHL, and I feel that I’m learning so much by watching him train and playing on the same line as him. I feel that we have everything covered when we’re on the ice together, and having that confidence is half of the battle when it comes to playing hockey at this level. Now the important thing is to keep it rolling, whether together or whenever we play on separate lines,” Bogatyrev remarked.

Next on the schedule for the Seattle bears are games against the D.C. Dragons and the Toronto Legion as the Bears continue on their march to finish top of the North American Conference. For Bogatyrev, keeping up his form will be vital, as will be avoiding injury.

“I came into the season after having surgery on my wrist, and while I thought that this would make the start of the season difficult, I’m surprised that I feel so good. The medical staff did a fantastic job and I feel that I have full strength in the wrist that I injured. I feel in fantastic physical shape, as I really had to focus on getting myself in the top shape while I was unable to grip a stick. To a certain extent, it seems that I’m now in the best physical shape that I’ve been in in my life. On the ice, I feel that I have a half step that I didn’t have in seasons before, and this could be a major factor as to why my play has been to the level that it has been so far. Saying that, I feel that I’ve still got a lot in the tank, and still a lot more potential to fulfil,” he remarked.