Retro Theme Week: Retro Themes from Theme Weeks

rory

Everybody knows the BoG has been running out of ideas for themes since the early S80s. This leads me into the topic of my theme week media spot, which is going to be discussing past theme weeks to identify where everything went wrong. I will be starting at the first page of my research and not doing any more in depth research.

S63: Sponsor’s Shield Tournament. This is a bad theme. Who the fuck knows what in the good lord the Sponsor’s Shield Tournament is. This is part of a very dark era of VHL that had VHL Brands, yikes! How do I even make a graphic for this one? Just post a paid sponsorship? Truly a shit theme week submission. Sorry members in S63.

S64:  League Expansion. This is a good theme. A hot topic for the league at the time prior to the D.C. Dragons and Praha-ha Phantoms entering the league, this allows the entire VHL community give the BoG ideas to alleviate the pressure in a very small major league system, combpared to todays system. Cool media spot options could have included dream locations & brandings, and graphics makers could find a goofy logo online for these teams, and make an advertising graphic for the local area.

S65: Season 66 Draft. I hope this does not become a trend, because this is a bad theme. The creator of this theme should be publicly outed and banned for sabotage. Do you want me to make mock drafts for people that are creating TODAY!? Should I make a graphic for a recreate that just spawned from the pits of the probable theme creator's messed up head!? Bad, bad BoG.

S66: Playoffs. PLAYOFFS!? WE'RE TALKING ABOUT PLAYOFFS!? Man I thought we had it bad but the league must've been in a dark dark place with these creative workhorses in the cogs behind the scenes. Really explains the Prague Phantoms branding decisions if these are the brains of this era.

S67: VHL Expansion. I have no words. NO WORDS! This theme was last used in S64, a mere 3 seasons ago. In 7 months, this is the theme the BoG got together to create. The good thing is this retro theme is still good and at least theirs brandings for the graphic makers, and speculative articles about protection lists, mock drafts, etc for media spot writers.

S68: League History. Say it ain't so. This is this years theme! Are all theme weeks just fucking repeats!? I pray we don't see any of these themes in the near feature if that is the case. Good thing this includes "before you joined as a member" so the league boomers get excluded, good choice Bek!

S69: Unsung Heroes (Player or Member). A great theme. Magnificent. Beaviss making his league impact being felt in his first theme week post. Turns out all the league ever needed was Beaver at the helm. This theme gives members the opportunity to write about a whole multitude of subjects. Recently, I saw a pretty mid article about members from the past that had positive influences on a first gen member. Awesome thread, and would be perfect for S69's theme. Easy for graphic makers, who can take a player like Vasille Lamb who nobody gives a fuck about but still does OK!

S70: Potential Future Hall of Famers. This one seems like another reason for players to gas up the already gassed to the moon members of S70, but that's okay. This retro theme gives members the opportunity to write articles defending players in the league having hall of fame careers before they retire. Very cool. Like the unsung heroes, you could also swing this theme to be about a member hall of fame nominee! For graphic makers, you simply do the same thing as the last theme lol just make a graphic

S71: Recruitment. Filing this one in the "please do our jobs for us" category, this theme must've worked because it worked in their favour, leading to a boom of members, such as fake Greek man, and Highlander. Writers can write cool suggestions such as reddit recruitment. Graphic makers can make advertisements, that could be used on social media sites like Instagram, or Twitter.

S72: Members you may not know that well. Quik made me a graphic for this theme, so I think it's very cool. I know for one, that this theme made Quik a better person. This theme allows for people to seek out investigate members in the league and make the VHL community closer :D Very cool!

S73: Future VHL Creates. I'd be interesting to take a list of these future VHL creates that may not have been created, and assess a 1 week TPE ban to members still posting without this player. I for one, would receive this ban because I made a graphic for Muhammad Mukhamadullin, a name I would instead use in SBA. Writers can list 3-4 names with descriptions on why they are cool, or simply post 250 traditional first name/last name recreates without giving any context at all! Graphic makers just make a graphic and put a weird name on it lol

S74: Dream Teams. This theme would be tough for graphic makers in the traditional sense! I like the idea of it. Very nice, easy to hit 500 words when discussing 3 forwards, 2 defenseman, and 1 goaler! I remember seeing some cool takes on this idea which makes this a very unique cool theme. Good work Beaver!

• Commissioner
5 hours ago, rory said:

Everybody knows the BoG has been running out of ideas for themes since the early S80s.

1. We rarely ask the BOG for them

but

2. It’s been so much longer than that. You’re all lucky we haven’t killed the concept out of laziness.

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

1. We rarely ask the BOG for them

but

2. It’s been so much longer than that. You’re all lucky we haven’t killed the concept out of laziness.

explains a lot

Article review:  The premise of this article is okay.  Unfortunately I really find that they theme week topic gets evaluated based on the type of point task you do.  Some Theme weeks lend themselves to graphics others articles and depending on your talent they get evaluated accordingly.  I agree that some theme weeks just get tiresome and maybe Beketov is correct, maybe it is time to stop them and maybe pick up something new for the same points.  

I give this article a 8/10.

On 4/25/2023 at 5:05 AM, rory said:

S65: Season 66 Draft. I hope this does not become a trend, because this is a bad theme. The creator of this theme should be publicly outed and banned for sabotage. Do you want me to make mock drafts for people that are creating TODAY!? Should I make a graphic for a recreate that just spawned from the pits of the probable theme creator's messed up head!? Bad, bad BoG.

I don't mind saying that I was the one who suggested the draft as a topic for that seasons Theme Week and while I wasn't necessarily intending on them limiting it to that specific draft for the theme week when I suggested it, I did use the strength of the Season 66 Draft as a reasoning for it, and I don't really see any fault in doing so. By that point (only a week before the final cut-off for that draft before the Season 67 new players came in), the Season 66 Draft had enough active prospects to ensure that the draft would be twice as big as any draft of the last 25 seasons, so it was a hugely significant moment in the VHL and in addition, I figured a draft theme week would be a good way to capitalize on that and potentially encourage members to make graphics or media spots that potentially focused on this large number of new members that had been brought in. 

Edited by MubbleFubbles