VHL Trade Wars: Edition 8 (Season 60 Off-Season)

Advantage

VHL Trade Wars: Edition 8 (Season 60 Off-Season)

COVER-Trade-Wars-36i4gupma2e7av3lphw3r4.

To QUE :que:

S62 DAV 2nd Round Draft Pick (Roctrion King) @Romaris

To DAV :dav:

D - Alvara Jokinen @Ahma

General Managers: @Beaviss (Quebec City), @Tyler (Davos)

Date: June 11th, 2018

After not feeling up to a trade reflection this past week, I am back to bring forth another episode of VHL Trade Wars.  This one will simply be looking at one trade that we saw part one of slightly featured in one of our previous editions.  I will probably try and start extending this out soon to include a few more trades in each addition but ultimately had a fairly busy week and didn’t finish this early enough.

The first trade we will look at involves two teams that have found their way into a lot of the moves that I have looked at over these now eight additions.  This trade is interesting because we recently talked about the pick that Quebec traded for and how the player they selected, Alvara Jokinen, ended up in Davos has his agency usually does.  This was the trade that got him on the franchise that runs through his blood and veins.  The comments on this trade (this is why I like doing this stuff) also shed light on everything involving the deal.  It was clear Beaviss thought there was a chance he could convince Ahma of being on a different team, but as he put it, his “experiment failed……”. 

It's hard to fault Quebec here given their leverage was pretty much next to nothing when there is only one team that the player would play for.  That being said, the second round pick that they acquired would sadly end up being the last in the round.  With the pick, the Quebec City Meute would select a Canadian forward named Roctrion King.  While he would never play on Quebec City, King would go on to have a pretty productive six season career, recording 196 goals and 379 total points in 432 career games.  He had three point-per-game seasons over the course of his career that stretched from New York, to Helsinki and then finally to Toronto for the last three seasons of his career. 

Davos came way with another player from the loyal Ahma agency that has been a fixture in multiple decades of the teams history.  As usual, Jokinen was a solid number two defenseman for the majority of his career finishing with a very respectable 320 points and 914 blocked shots over 432 career games in the VHL (all of which were with Davos of course).  The only likely disappointing aspect of Jokinen’s career was his disappointing 16 career playoff games over the course of his career, where he finished with just 8 points and the team was fairly stagnant over his time on the squad.

Verdict: Davos wins mainly due to the impact of this move being so lasting for the squad, with Ahma being a fixture on them for his entire career.  Pretty hard for anyone else to win this trade to be entirely fair to Quebec, but I guess that’s why they probably shouldn’t have drafted him in the first place.  At the very least, the player in value that was received wasn’t far off of Jokinen but nevertheless a little more underwhelming.