Theme Week Submission

der meister

Believe it or not, I've actually given the prompt for this season's Theme Week a lot of thought since it was first announced. The good news for the league's commissioners is that I haven't come up with very many things I would change. There are nebulous concepts, like continuing to build upon the league's Safe Space mentality and making sure that we don't have any members who are, you know, literal Nazis, because apparently that's a thing again. Really can't wrap my mind around that. But as for the HOW of building upon the Safe Space, the welcoming nature of the league, I'm not entirely sure.

All that being said, there are a few things I have come up with. First, and entirely self-serving, is finally getting Christoph Klose into the Hall of Fame. The biggest knock on Klose is that he wasn't Lord Karnage, which honestly shouldn't play a role in terms of Hall of Fame recognition, but it did. While it pains me to admit, in terms of individual accolades, Karnage was the superior player, but the idea of only the best player who does X can go into the Hall of Fame is silly. We obviously have a smaller player base than the NHL, but imagine that for the entire time that Wayne Gretzky played, no other playmaking center could be considered for the Hall of Fame because Gretzky was clearly the best. It's absurd. So as VHL Dictator for the day, I'm addressing that.

Secondly, I'd like to see more honoring and usage of league history. In Season 40, there was a Hall of Fame tournament, where all the oldsters got to show up one more time. Why are we not doing things like this regularly? Season 80 has come and gone, and a tournament involving players inducted between Season 41 and 80 could have been a lot of fun, and a nice way to honor the legacy of retired players. Hell, the top team from that tournament could face the winning team from the Season 40 tournament in a best of 7 series. We have weekly trivia questions about the league's history, but beyond that, we do very little, and I'd like to see that changed. 

And honestly, that's where I kind of hit a standstill on this topic. Overall, I think league leadership does a tremendous job. Any time I've had an issue, a simple Direct Message to leadership typically leads to a swift resolution. I could use this space to decry the league's move to Discord instead of utilizing on-site Locker Rooms, and I'm sure I could come up with some argument about digital equity, but that's my State Employee training talking. There are issues, of course, but that does not come from being a commissioner; those come from being human. We're all people here, and we're all [hopefully] here because it's a fun place to be, regardless of our skin color, our nationality, our sexual or gender preferences, or anything else. Except for Nazis. Fuck those guys.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestar.com%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fthestar%2Fsports%2F2009%2F09%2F08%2Fveryoldtimers_shoot_for_hockey_record%2Freallyoldtimers.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=63aef83d733ca90072b1619250e863a6897532800222bd34f77bf71bd5f879b5&ipo=images