Around the League

Scurvy

As the off-season drags on and on and on I do have a few things to chat about in this week’s Around the League.  Topics like the VHLM draft, Rip Wheeler’s makeover in Calgary, some awards, and touch on my good friend Jake Thunder. 

VHLM Draft

Each season we all look forward to the draft, regardless which league.  It is an exciting time as teams try to re-build and re-tool for a winning season.  Even as a VHLer on a re-create it is exciting to see where you will end up and if you can help that club make a difference.  This year’s VHLM dispersal draft had some amazing prospects to pick from.  Here is how the top 5 of the draft went:

#1- Vlad Von Carstein @Dom (defense)- Ottawa – Bio: hulking defenseman who should score as well. 

#2-  Venellope von Schweetz @Arce (defense)- Houston- Bio: small and speedy he put up decent numbers in a shortened season and playoffs. 

#3- Riley Martin (RW) @Smarch- Halifax- Bio: big winger played lights out for Miami last season and almost won a cup.  He will be a force.

#4- Nico Belique (RW) @Syzygy- Mexico- Bio- already established VHLM veteran he had 21g 42a 63 pts for Miami.  He can only add to those numbers.

#5- Logan Ninefingers (RW)- Philadelphia- Bio: big and mean he’s looking to add some offense to a gritty Philly team.

RIP WHEELER UPDATE

Ok so this weekend I was at a retirement dinner for a co-worker with old Rip @ScottyPScott (aka Jimmy) where Rip talked smack about newly improved VHL player.  So, if we back up to the beginning of Rip’s career he said he was going to be the next Eric Lindros of the VHL.  Fast forward a few seasons and he appears to be more like Brett Lindros.  However, last season he came out hitting and had a whopping 325 hits but still struggled offensively.  Now being in Calgary where winning is the norm and nothing less is accepted it was time for Rip to re-tool his game a bit.  He reset his TPE and as of not has much better allocation of TPE. BUT, as of today he had 1 TPE in checking (15 now).  This could go well for Calgary and might be the smart move with the addition of some good offseason additions.  Only time will tell how it works for Rip but I think it’s safe to say he won’t be setting any hit records this season.  

JAKE THUNDER UPDATE

So, my other recruit, Jake Thunder just cleaned house this season in awards.  All VHL first team defense, Jake Wylde Trophy, and Sterling Labatte Trophy for best overall defenseman.  Its Jake’s 5th overall trophy and my guess assured him a spot in the coveted Hall of Fame someday.  Now my player, Brian Payne and Thunder battled and talked shit for numerous seasons competing for who was better.  Sadly and gladly, I can say Thunder was the better of the two.  I am happy for him as he worked hard week and week out to earn and be a good teammate.  

I spoke to Thunder tonight, and he hasn’t logged on in a bit, nor earned.  I think a little burnout occurred and life stuff but I am desperately trying to get him back into the VHL fold someday.  Life has a way of letting you know sometimes you need a break and that is ok.  We miss you @Thunder.  Your buddy, Brian Payne #9