What's Next For YaBoi Oven?

Doomsday

What's Next For YaBoi Oven?

image.png.1d11b5669fd259e5cdf50b97ecd35eb8.png

HELSINKI - After being selected first overall by the Helsinki Titans in the Season 90 VHL Entry Draft and immediately beginning his pro career after being called up from the VHLE, YaBoi Oven hit the ground running in his rookie season. He was the only Season 90 player to finish in the top ten of rookie scoring in the VHL, ultimately finishing fourth with 41 points. Oven led all rookie defensemen with 14 goals, and wasted no time establishing himself as a threat on the man advantage with nine power play goals. He contributed defensively with 133 shots blocked, but perhaps did not play as physically as his potential would suggest, working hard to keep his penalty minutes down, with just 42. The Titans reached the playoffs, breaking a recent drought, although they fell in the Wild Card round to the London United in five games. However, with five points in those five games, Oven looks poised to take the next step towards being an elite VHL defenseman.

"All things considered, I would have to say my rookie season was a huge success," said Oven following a World Cup game. "I felt like I was able to come in right away and be productive and effective in both zones, instead of just dragging the team down. I was quite happy about that, but now it's time to build on that and be more than just someone that isn't holding their team back."

image.png.0b9a23cb77fb7f9bcdaab99bc76276fb.png

Oven has kept busy over the off-season, being named to Team Eastern Europe's roster for both the World Junior Championship and the VHL World Cup, where he contributed to medal-winning efforts in both tournaments. He scored ten points in ten round robin games, with three power play goals, and also scored a goal in the gold medal-winning game, the second straight season Eastern Europe has won WJC gold. On the world stage at the World Cup, Oven scored four points, including two more power play goals, in a successful tournament which resulted in a silver medal for Oven and Eastern Europe. Throughout both tournaments, it was evident that YaBoi Oven is a considerable threat on the man advantage, something Helsinki certainly hopes will continue in Season 91.

The Titans added a major veteran presence on the blue line with longtime Vancouver Wolves defenseman Pierre Emile Bouchard, who will spend the twilight of his career with Helsinki. A former Sterling Labatte Trophy winner and a Continental Cup champion, Bouchard has also been a menace on the power play, with 59 career tallies on the man advantage. He's a proven weapon in both ends of the ice, and an ideal candidate to use in virtually any situation. Bouchard, as it turns out, is the absolute perfect person to mentor a young core of defensemen that has less VHL experience than he does alone, and has embraced the idea of taking them under his wing.

image.png.88e05495e207571eb559c26b445e68f0.png

"We love Pierre here," Oven reiterated during Helsinki's training camp. "With Hammar Voss retiring, we knew we needed a veteran presence and top guy back there with us, and Sam really delivered with bringing Bouchard here to Helsinki. It has been a short time, but I feel like he's already making all of us better, and learning under a proven winner who has excelled in the ways you want to do yourself is the best scenario I could have possibly asked for."

If Season 90 was about proving that YaBoi Oven belonged in the VHL, then Season 91 will be about proving that he has what it takes to be great, to be an elite player capable of building a franchise around. The promise has shown, his ability has been showcased on the national stage, and his potential is only just beginning to be realized. If the Helsinki Titans want to take the next step towards winning the Continental Cup, they will need Oven to continue to improve and deliver on his lofty expectations.

Jethro Novacek is a writer for the MSFL Times, the premium purveyor of simulation sports news. He enjoys massively discounted candy, scouring antique stores, and not being sick.

Edited by Doomsday

10 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

United... They are in the UK not in Ontario ;)

Oh, I make that same mistake every time so far no one has caught me though!! LOL!!

This is why they shouldn`t be called the United as it needs to be something more ......