CGY Janser's first match for Vasteras

Daniel Janser

Callum was excited when he cycled the fifteen minutes from the 'Chancer' to the ABB Arena Nord in Vasteras. It would be his first match in the VHLE, and it would be against one of the co-favourites for the Renaissance Cup, the Beardislava Bratislava Watchmen with their star player and league veteran BjorkaBjorn BjornaBorkson. When he arrived at the arena and locked his bike, he greeted Sven the security guard, who looks like he could play Linebacker in any given NFL team. Walking through the catacombs, he meets Ingrid who is the chef in the built in restaurant. 'What's for dinner, Ingrid?' 'Wouldn't you want to know?' she laughs back. The Swiss defender puts up his sad-puppy-face 'Pretty please?'. 'You are impossible Cal. There will be Köttbullar with mashed potatoes and green peas.' 'Thanks, Ingrid. You are the bestest.'

He goes to the locker room where some of the other players are already prepping for the match. He saunters to Leif and Thor, the Reingaard brothers from Greenland. 'Boys, I bet you fifty kronors that there will be Köttbullar for dinner.' 'No way, Callum, today is fish day.' replies Leif. Thor disagrees and wagers: 'I bet it will be pork roast.' 'So do we have a wager or not?' asks Cal-Gary. The brothers reply simultaneously 'You are on.' The three players hand their money to Barca for safekeeping and acting as referee for the outcome of the bet.

Then the rookie walks over to his locker and takes out his jersey number 14 (he would have preferred 7 but same was already taken by Barca). He is taken aback as there is a new fangled 'C' looking back at him. 'Who died and left me the 'C' in his will?' he exclaims. Verhault walks up to Barca and says: 'I think that makes me the new owner of 250 kronors, as I am the only one betting on the rook to become captain.' It is evident that the atmosphere in the Iron Eagles' locker room is full of well meant banter and laughs.

The Eagles ended up only allowing no goal in regulation or overtime against the Slovak team, but lost in the shootout. So while it was a good day for Vasteras' back row, the offence certainly needs a bit more puck luck.