VHL season 91. 21-23 games in

hedgehog337

I feel I could write something for this week. Probably one and done stuff, after that another 6 months of welfare. Anyways, my quick look at the standings and my thoughts about teams here. 

Overachievers/doing better than expected: :chi: :rig:

I don't know what steroids Sundin is using, but looks like this works just fine for his team to still be at the top after 22 games. This so called ''rebuilding team'' managed to not lose in regulation for the first 17 games in a row. Enough said. Expect them to lose a bunch sooner than later, but the grand start could be enough to have a chance at the wildcard spot. The position Cole does not want to be in. 

As for Riga, not as overachieving as just having a better start than I could expect. I was not sure where is the retooling process gonna go this season, but adding Monkey and Shrimp through FA is definitely helping so far. AK is also trying which is fine. Looks like we have a knack of making the other EU contenders life harder from the underdog position. S87 says hello. 

Doing good as expected: :dav: :mal::hel: :ldn: :la:

Maybe LA isn't the top team as of now, but I have a feeling they shouldn't have lots of problems to claim that later on. And as my predictions was suggesting they are likely to take the Victory cup as well. The other 4 European teams are likely to make the playoffs if they will continue to show this current form. London continues to rely a lot on their defensive system with few standouts. Which is working for them since Jacob stepped in. I was not sure about Malmo before the season, but adding Alex and Boga definitely upped them in the ranks. Helsinki is depending on their top guys a lot and looks like it's doing it's good work. Also, finally Rask is having a good season after 45 seasons of mediocrity. And Davos is trying to prolong their contention window by buying old heads...but good old heads. Interesting strategy by Alex. 

Could do better: :tor: :dcd:

Toronto had a case of being unlucky early season. STHS you know. They did upgrade their record to neutral 11-11, but I feel like they still could improve their performance. The question is - by how much and also, can rookies step up enough for Toronto to make a legit playoff push. 

Well, there was a good hype about DC after trouncing NY in the opening 2 games of the season. And then whole lotta meh. I'm not sure if Bezos really can carry this team so forwards have to step up big time if they wanna do something this season. They have a talent for sure, it's just when it will happen. 

Not convinced: :cal: :prg:

So much hype about Calgary just for them being a discount London. Looks like having too much passers is hurting this team's potential. They did have a win streak not so long ago, but I still don't have a lot of faith in this team this season. Good news is their rookies are still developing so there is a time to make a change of fortune. However, is this gonna be in this season? iono... 

It's probably a strange idea to put the defending champs in this tier. And with a positive record as well? But are they actually that good? It's not even the cup hangover that's bothering me about this team. They are really trying to ride Jameson's coattails and hope for the best. I don't think this is the best strategy in a very tight EU conference. Unless others are stepping up their game the cup defending may end even before the playoffs week. 

Rebuilding as expected: :que: :nya: :mos: :war:

I mean, the NA tanker's record isn't even horrible. They've been able to steal games rather often and are not that far from the playoff zone as of now. Some standouts in both teams as well. Can't complain about them. 

The EU ones are really out there with the tanking mission. Well then, good job! Though I feel like Moscow is actually underachieving a bit and I expect them to pick up the steam later on. Their real record might be somewhere under .500 at the end of the day. Not playoffs, not horrible either. 

Grey area: :sea:

They are not doing bad so far, but their actual performance is anything but convincing. After ''losing'' the rebuilding race to Vancouver they had to set with the roster that's adequate enough for the playoff appearance, but it's hard to call them the real contender.  Expecting them to go through motions and likely losing in the wildcard round. 

Enough for me. That's it and I'm out.