The Remnants of the S66 Recruitment Drive: Why YouTube Works

Grape

The season 66 draft was one of the largest to date, due to a massive recruitment drive, mainly through YouTube. Out of that draft, there were 224 new creates, which considering how small the league was at that time, was absolutely massive. Recent drives already led to expansion of the league, and this one would lead to it again. Season 65 led to the introduction of one VHL team, Moscow Menace, and two M teams in Houston and Philadelphia. Season 66 saw another VHL team in Malmo and three new M teams in Mexico, Mississauga, and San Diego. There were a handful of others that came into existence a season or two later as well, due to a good portion of the new players sticking around for at least a season. However, as is the usual for recruitment drive, a massive percentage left within a month of creating. All players created between January 2019 to March 2019 were part of the Season 66 draft class. Of those 224 new players created in that time, only 77 were active in April, a little over one third of the recruits. As the months ticked by, that number slowly but surely whittled down more and more. As of today, only 11 of the 224 new players are still around and active, just under 5%.
chart-min.png.acbc4751182e8d51185008ff96cd2744.png
I would say, that’s half decent. Obviously, you’d want more people to stick around, but at the same time, this was during a period of constant, active recruitment. Season 65 was pretty big, and going into the 70s and 80s, especially because of Covid, the league had no problem with these types of numbers. A lot of people drop out, sure, but the league was still able to, not only sustain itself at its current size, but continue to expand. The guys that stick around are quality individuals, in which all of them have made significant additions to the league in their own ways. Let me list out the 11 people still kicking around:

Plate, myself, MexicanCow123, Gustav, DMaximus, FrostBeard, ThePerfectNut, jblock3, okochastar, McLovin, and zepheter

If you’re even somewhat active on the forums or discord, you’ll recognize some of these names. Without the heavy lifting done by the recruitment team, none of these individuals would be around, and countless others from other classes would be missing too.

People bring up YouTube advertisements as pretty much the main way to bring in new members, because it gets a ton of bodies into the league. Critics bring up the turnover, and that they are largely ineffective in sustaining the league. Yes, that’s true. But there’s never going to be a method in which you get quality and quantity. You’re simply not going to find something that will bring in a boatload of super dedicated long-standing members. In order to find your dedicated members, you have to acknowledge that you’re going to bring in a lot of people who will up and leave after a day. You can’t strike gold on every swing, you need to sift through the dirt to find em. YouTube, simply put, is the best method for recruitment, full stop. You get an influx of life and activity for a few weeks, and when that fades down, you find a large handful of members who are going to stay dedicated for years to come.

1 hour ago, hedgehog337 said:

idk maybe yt brought him back though

Yea idk. Basing it off his current account. Made the assumption that he was a new member for S66 since he states he was recruited by YouTube, and not a recreate from a prior account

As far as I'm aware most of us from S66 were from Reddit...at least I was. 

I've seen YouTube drives work and I've seen them go horribly wrong. Honestly it just depends on circumstances.

On 11/22/2023 at 1:54 PM, Gustav said:

As far as I'm aware most of us from S66 were from Reddit...at least I was. 

I've seen YouTube drives work and I've seen them go horribly wrong. Honestly it just depends on circumstances.

Majority of recruits from S65-67 were from multiple YouTube advertisements, while some of the retained were from Reddit.