VHL Portal: League’s Greatest Recruiter (and Retainer)

Advantage

VHL Portal: League’s Greatest Recruiter (and Retainer)

I have to say….the Blue Team did not come up with a topic that I was looking forward to write about for theme week.  I know…”Advantage, you are being the spitting image of the whole meme around theme week topics.”  I just honestly had no idea what to write about.  My impact in recruiting is long past my glory days there where I was on several online message boards and other forums pulling for affiliates and mentions, just to maybe scrape up a few players for whatever football league was starting after the last one closed down a week prior.  Those who did these leagues understand…the longest one ran about two or three years maybe at most (this is prior to the EFL and other ones that I am speaking on). Ultimately, bringing the members in wasn’t even always the hard part.  Sometimes it was just difficult to make it incredibly easy for a new member.  “Retention” is the word we use and it is just as important as recruiting itself, if not far more crucial to the health and longevity of a league. This word rings true for me in my inspiration for this article as I want to talk about the major reason I stayed when I was recruited back to join the league some time ago.  That reason….is the VHL Portal.

There was a time not that long ago where the VHL seemed like a dying league that just wasn’t able to recruit or retain enough members to have a sustainable league.  We contracted in the VHL and the Board of Governors seemed full of doom and gloom to go along with some pettiness and arguing. It was not a bright time in our league history, and I left it all behind thinking the VHL probably wouldn’t see Season 70, much less Season 90. When I think back on those times and what changed from now to then, I see a more committed recruitment team for quite some time, and a lot of organization running the VHL and VHLM while the league was trying to find its footing again.  However, I believe the one thing that changed it all was the VHL Portal. 

The Portal was an idea I had first heard about when Devise was discussing the concept prior to the Admins or BOG even discussing it.  The principle was making tasks to earn TPE “as easy as the click of a button.”  It was bold and a very jarring difference from what I was certainly used to.  Not updating on the forum or claiming practice facility by posting “+1” or “+2”…what a foreign idea!  Honestly though, it changed everything as far as I can tell.  

The VHL has been better off since the change and even as its own dedicated member base that claim consistent TPE every week and barely post weekly on the actual forums.  Some argue this is a bad thing, and there point is fair.  Posting on the forums is certainly down with not only the Portal changes but also the move to Discord.  With that being said, the VHL had to adapt with the times or be left behind.  The Portal was just an added bonus that separates itself from the other leagues, who frankly have far inferior updating and claiming systems (no shade intended but truth is the truth). 

So with that being said, I hope you enjoyed my little media spot on recruitment and why the VHL Portal has not only been the leagues biggest recruiter since it was created, it has also been its greatest retainer. 

**I tried with formatting…did this on my cellphone**

Edited by Advantage