The use of AI

jRuutu

The very first thought that comes to my mind when I see someone getting banned for using AI is: "They finally got them! Someone has been cheating for a while, and now they finally got caught". In my mind, that is how you would use AI, you would do your best to be subtle and hide the fact that you have used AI, but then again, I guess that goes against the whole idea of using AI, more than likely you would spend more time and energy hiding the use of AI than for example writing a 500-word article in VHL.

As I happened to notice the latest ban thread update about the use of AI, I was curious about what kind of work was submitted. I wanted to see if would I be able to tell the article is written by AI. What I discovered left me disappointed but also impressed in a way.

Link to article.

The first thing you notice is the wall of text. The user here did not have the time and decency to put spaces between paragraphs. More than likely they used AI to create the content with their phone. They just copy pasted the text, and that was that. I am picturing the user was sitting in some office bathroom, hiding from their boss. To distract themselves from the smell and noises coming in from other stalls, they decided to create a VHL article with whatever AI tool they found. If you read the first few sentences, it seems almost impossible for someone with the ability to write like that not to put spaces between the paragraphs.  

The name "The Flying Guardian" is used in the title of the thread. This nickname was almost surely created by the AI. The first time you see "The Flying Guardian" being mentioned is in the second paragraph, so the user here went through the text in the hopes of finding something to use for the title. I think this decision is gross. We all know coming up with something fun and interesting for the title is not easy,  but to not even create the title of the thread by yourself? Gross.

Later on, they added references to VHL, VHLM, and Houston Bulls with the following:

"As the VHLM draft approached, Benson's name began circulating in conversations among scouts and analysts. Many were intrigued by the prospect of having a goaltender who could bring a new level of excitement to the game. On draft day, the hockey world held its breath as Benson's name echoed through the arena. The Houston Bulls, known for their innovative approach to the game, selected him in the third round, much to the surprise of those expecting a more traditional choice. "

I am 75% sure the user wrote portions of this part on their own and then added it in. For example: "The Houston Bulls, known for their innovative approach to the game", the part in the end: "to the game" does not sound like something AI would say. Also, the place where the text is added appears to be in the middle of a paragraph that gets interrupted by the text talking about the VHLM draft. This is an interesting choice. It shows the user did not take the time to read through the article completely in the end. But then again the lack of spaces could also explain the odd position of the VHLM quote.

It is easy to judge now that I have been told the work is written by AI, but based on the little experience I have with AI, if I had been tasked to judge whether the text was written by AI or not, I would give it to the AI. It appears to be so obvious.

Beyond the AI content, what I find the most interesting is the fact this user did not have to create this article. They have been claiming "Affiliate 12" from the start.  They did not have to create an article to earn extra TPE for their player now. The only reason, in this case, to create the article so early was to let VHL know a bit more about the player and the user behind the player. I think showing they are invested in the league is nice, and exactly what the league needs from newer users. When you then on top of that add the ability to claim affiliate 12 TPE every week, this player almost certainly had first-round pick potential AND, more importantly, the potential to be a top-level VHL player.

With the use of AI, they managed to tank their draft stock quite nicely. The level of care and thinking shown in the creation of the article shows it is only a matter of time before they do something to mess up the "affiliate 12" earnings in the other league. They are now seen as a risky pick. This is also exactly what the league needs. Who is going to be brave enough to pick the player, and when they might be picked? Who is going to see the "affiliate 12" earnings week after week, and think to themselves: "Sure, they had a one-week TPE ban, but that was a month ago, and they have still earned "affiliate 12" ever since!" ?

I think the fact they could earn 12 TPE from affiliate and still, they decided to use AI is what tanks the draft stock more than the actual use of AI, which is interesting. Sure, the article in question here is a biography article for a career point task, but we rarely see something like this in VHL. If this was just a regular point task-earning user who tried to cut corners and got punished for it, by the draft time, you would have questions, but would you still be as convinced the user is going to mess it all up in the future? Maybe the affiliate 12 TPE and what it means, the potential, at least in my mind, the user here is almost surely going to mess it up in the future. Who does something like this? You basically have the 12 TPE, you have it, go post it and do the career task later, but they decided to post an article written by AI.

I hope the user and player continue to be "active", so we get to see what the future brings. It is stories like this that make VHL so fun and exciting. It is stories like this that show the power of AI, it can create a cloud of mystery on top of the people who use AI; what are they capable of doing? What ARE they going to do next? That is fun.

(1038)

14.1 - 21.1

22.1- 28.1

Edited by jRuutu

Article Review:

Like the author I sometimes wonder why someone uses AI, it seems that more and more people are being caught.  AI currently, or at least those versions easily available on the internet are good but still have a number of flaws that result in them being easily identified.  I just don't expect that AI generation of articles will be indistinguishable from human created content for a while.  Now from a graphic perspective the use of AI to create a base image doesn't bother me as long as sufficient work is being done to personalize afterwards.  I don't think we will ever get rid of AI use, there will always be someone wanting to take the easy way out but honestly, with the fact that any random writing is accepted just write your own articles.

I give this article a 10/10, get dive into the AI conversation

Well, buckle up, because it sounds like we've got ourselves a VHL mystery thriller in the making! 🔍🕵️♂️ "The Flying Guardian" saga – coming soon to a digital theater near you! 🎬🎭

Honestly, the lengths some folks go to cut corners – it's like a Shakespearean tragedy with a sprinkle of AI magic! 🧙‍♂️✨ Kudos to you for your Sherlock Holmes-level investigation into the nuances of this AI caper! 🕵️♀️🔍 It's like decoding a digital Da Vinci Code, am I right? 📜💻

And what's with that AI-crafted title? "The Flying Guardian" sounds like a superhero, but in this case, it's more like the AI villain! 🦸‍♂️🤖 But hey, every VHL season needs its plot twists, and this AI-induced drama is serving us suspense on a silver platter! 🍿📺

As for the draft stock tumble – who knew AI could be the ultimate draft saboteur? 📉🚀 That 12 TPE from Affiliate 12 was the golden ticket, but our mystery player decided to play the risky game. 🎫🎭 It's like watching a high-stakes poker game, and we're all sitting on the edge of our virtual seats! 🪑🃏

Here's to more unexpected twists, turns, and AI-induced rollercoaster rides in the wild world of the VHL! 🎢🎉 #TheFlyingGuardianChronicles 📖🚁