Around the League

Scurvy

It’s officially the off-season.  A time when all of us without league responsibilities dread but a time that management savors to get a much-needed break to gear up for another season.  We do have the Junior showcase I believe and the Pro-AM is starting up which is fun time consumer until we start another season.  It does get harder to write some stuff as the off-season drags but for today I wanna chat about the Continental Cup Finals, an idea for debate, and the promotion of a great GM.  

DC WINS IN GAME 7

I have to say this was an exciting series to see unfold.  7 games that boasted 3 shutouts and a game 7 that went into overtime.  You can’t ask for a better cup final and it's tough that one of these two great clubs had to lose.  DC went on to win with their standout forward, The Frenchman @OrbitingDeath sniped a shot past Jesse Teno at 10:01 in OT.  

The real heroes of this series were the goalies.  In game 7 Jesse Teno @aimkin stopped 44 of 47 shots and DCD’s Henry Tucker @NSG stopped 51 of 53 shots.  The game even had a spirited center ice fight featuring DC’s Jason @Jason kranz and London center, Sjin @Sjin showing both clubs were holding nothing back to win.  

A huge shoutout to London’s offensive machines in Leonard Triller @Triller, Molly the Cat @JCarson, and Wann Kerr @VattghernCZ who were all in the top four for playoff scoring.  They left it all on the ice and can hang their heads high after a tough loss.  

Anyway, Congrats to both clubs for making it fun and special congrats to DC and GM @FrostBeard and LDN GM @jacobcarson877 for an exciting Continental Cup!  

FREE OFF SEASON TPE?

I know I can speak for a lot of people who try to max out TPE every week.  Whether you do graphics, podcasts, or media spots it can be a grind some weeks.  Now, I should preface this with the fact I have NO graphic skills whatsoever.  I have tried on some free apps like Pixlr and I am LOST!  Everything I have tried looks like shit. 

So?  Like I said above the offseason is a great break for management.  They do a lot of stuff behind the scenes and its nice for them to re-charge the batteries a bit. That being said should players get a little break from the 6 TPE media spot, graphic, or podcast in the off-season?  Should there be a 5 TPE welfare button just for that time to give a rest from the long TPE boost?  I still think press conference, VHL article, and trivia should still be earned but should we get a breather and some nice off season TPE for the long one?   Thoughts?  Could it help with retention?  Help teams with players missing playoffs remain interested?  Anyway, don’t really care that much curious.  

TET JOINS PRAGUE

I wanted to give a shoutout and congrats to @Tetricide for his promotion as new GM in Prague.  I had the good fortune to join the Miami Marauders on my re-create season.  Although it was a short season I ended up in the Founders Cup final with a very fun Miami club.  While this was my second time through the VHLM I was impressed with Tet’s commitment to the newer players, his willingness to teach them the nuances of the VHL, forum, and TPE earning, and his availability to his players.  Tet obviously has a commitment to the VHL and is a great ambassador of the league.  Prague is lucky to have you and I wish you success.     

4 hours ago, Scurvy said:

Should there be a 5 TPE welfare button just for that time to give a rest from the long TPE boost?

I think this is an interesting take on the off-season blues! Everyone just wants to get right back into playing, but we gotta wait like a month. Especially those who can't participate in the JSC or WJC -- the World Cup is every other season and not everyone is guaranteed to even play in that.

4 hours ago, Scurvy said:

Tet obviously has a commitment to the VHL and is a great ambassador of the league.  Prague is lucky to have you and I wish you success.

Bro thank you so much. 🥹 This really means a lot and I hope I do y'all proud.

• Senior Admin

Review: Great recap of the final series and interesting idea on the off-season free week. I think it's a valid idea, I don't necessarily think that it would help retention or keep someone from losing interest but I think you raise a good idea of it getting harder to find things to write about and just giving everyone a little break in the off-season.  And nice shoutout to @Tetricide, best of luck with the new position. Overall good quality thought provoking article. 4/5.