Teach Gustav About the NHL

Gustav

Hi all! I’m sure anyone who knows me well also knows a couple things about me as a hockey fan. I find it very hard to stay on top of my own team most of the season, and by the time I catch up with them, I’m really not caught up at all with the rest of the league. Currently, it’s past football season enough that I’m interested, and my team happens to be on fire and doing their best to get over the rest of the season and sneak into the playoffs. I’ve gone from very rarely watching to finding ways to totally legally stream today’s game that the league decided to slap on their own network (please get all your content absolutely legally as I do. I love having to buy five times the amount of subscriptions I used to for the exact same content and daring to watch it otherwise would certainly never be a fair response to the situation). 

So, I’d like to know what’s up over the rest of the season. It would be great if some of you could tell me:

• Who you think some of the top players are. I’m aware of McDavid and Matthews probably being top 2 (?) but I’m not sure who else I’d place in that elite top-5 tier right now. I definitely will have heard of everyone you mention, but don’t quite know exactly who’s all the way at the top. 

• Which players I should know from your team. I can likely name one or two from most places but that’s it. 

• Something fun about your team or the league in general! I’m always down for fun facts.

Thanks nerds.

Just now, Ahma said:

are we talking overall or just this season only?

Mostly just this season/current situations. But feel free to answer however you'd like!

1 minute ago, Gustav said:

Mostly just this season/current situations. But feel free to answer however you'd like!

ok! I'll get back to you with my humble opinion

I think it's easier to do by position, forwards and defensemen on their own top 5
and forwards you could separate further by C or W

for this season:

Forwards
1. McDavid
2. MacKinnon
3. Matthews
4. Kucherov
5. Pastrnak

6. Draisaitl
7. Barkov

Defensemen, a lot tougher to rank IMO
1. Hughes
2. Makar
3. Fox
4. Hedman
5. Morrissey
6. Dobson
7. Josi
8. Bouchard

9. Heiskanen

for dmen past few seasons, bump Heiskanen at 6. drop Bouchard completely out and Makar over Hughes and the list pretty much stays the same.
overall for everyone for the past few years

1. McDavid
... distance between McJesus and the rest
2. Draisaitl
3. MacKinnon
4. Makar
5. Matthews

GOALIES WOO
1. Vasilevski
2. Shesterkin
3. Sorokin
4. Hellebuyck
5. Saros

Go Habs Go!
Xhekaj from Habs is so much fun lol
Suzuki is a beast defensively this season
and Slafkovsky has been catching fire lately
and remember the name Lane Hutson, he's gonna a beast for the Habs in the future

It's no surprise that Matthews and McDuhvid are leading. I mean, if it wasn't for them, Toronto and Edmonton wouldn't have a lot of offensive production. Personally, I'm a fan of Dallas. And, maybe I'm biased, but Dallas has some serious depth this season. Meaning points are coming from each line. There's a lot of goals and points, but it's spread out amongst all active players. I consider this a threat because where teams playing Toronto or Edmonton know which players to play tight defense against, teams like Dallas are harder to play against because of the versatility across the board. 

5 minutes ago, UghSike said:

It's no surprise that Matthews and McDuhvid are leading. I mean, if it wasn't for them, Toronto and Edmonton wouldn't have a lot of offensive production. Personally, I'm a fan of Dallas. And, maybe I'm biased, but Dallas has some serious depth this season. Meaning points are coming from each line. There's a lot of goals and points, but it's spread out amongst all active players. I consider this a threat because where teams playing Toronto or Edmonton know which players to play tight defense against, teams like Dallas are harder to play against because of the versatility across the board. 

Dallas is one of my favorite teams to watch! They so much depth. Oettinger is second fav goalie in the league :)