A Gustav 30 in 30, #5: Can We Fix It?

Gustav

tt7bcJy.png

Probably the only time @Beketov has ever agreed with me in BoG, and it was before I was ever part of it.

The VHL has seen its share of TPE inflation over the years. The update scale used to max out at 9 TPE until that was changed at some point in the S50s. Things like doubles weeks and predictions and fantasy zone consistently give us more than we're guaranteed to earn every week. Plus, we now have one more season to earn with, a depreciation system that I hate, and new systems like catch-up TPE that do make VHL life more fair but do so by...giving out more TPE. Really, the only change I've ever seen that cut down on TPE inflation was a scale-back of the amount that could be earned through Fantasy Zone every week, when the way it worked more or less made the weekly cap 15 when you bothered to do it and make reasonable guesses.

Well, almost. The only other one I can think of was the abolishment of the VHL lottery--and also the first real change I ever advocated for on the forum.

If you were around when I joined the league, chances are that you remember the lotto. Chances also are that you haven't thought about it in a while. If you aren't familiar with the system, it's more or less exactly what it sounds like. Back before my time, it was run by @Smarch and featured a poll at the top of a forum thread that people could answer, with each answer constituting an entry to the lottery. Each week, a winner would be chosen from that field of answers at random. Which was fine--except that no one liked it.

So, at some point not long before I joined the league, the lottery system was overhauled. This time, instead of purely random based on one entry, VHL leadership decided to try to tackle two things at once and make the lottery a way to make game threads more active. This was in the days before game reviews were a thing, and there wasn't really any reason to comment on game threads unless (gasp) you wanted to use the VHL for its intended purpose of getting to know people and having real human interaction. Which, of course, no one really cares about unless you force them to (a mindset that I've always seen here on some level and never really liked). It seemed like a really good idea to reward those who were doing that and making the forum a more active and readable place. But what was never addressed was the fact that there was really nothing stopping anyone from trying to stuff their own box by just commenting everywhere...and getting tons of chances.

As far as I understand it, this really took off in S65 with the emergence of the S66 draft class. You'll know by now that we were historically large, historically new, and historically active. That also made many of us historically competitive--and waving "there's a positive correlation between the number of comments you leave on game threads and your TPE" under our noses wasn't something that took people very long to figure out. Take a scroll through the S65 Games section for the VHLM and tell me what you see--tons of comments on every game thread, all of which were made by the same handful of people. These people were doing nothing wrong, just taking an opportunity they were given. Still, it didn't quite match the intended purpose of promoting discussion--because everyone openly did not care about discussion. I remember talking about the lottery on a few different occasions with @Renomitsu and @rjfryman--two people who took full advantage of the system--and they'd openly admit that the reason why they posted everywhere was that the way things were set up was designed in a way that made that choice one that was in their best interest. This was more than fair enough, and the benefit that it served their players was sizable--eventual Hall-of-Famer Julius Freeman would enter the draft second in the class in TPE as a first-gen.

I'd comment on things when I felt like it and a few times ventured into lotto-whoring territory, winning something a couple times but not going as far as some others had. That still didn't stop me from taking issue with how things went--after all, it felt kind of dumb to open up my team's thread and see it already commented on by people who probably didn't care how my team did in the slightest. So, for the first time ever in the VHL, I took matters into my own hands.

I considered this suggestion thread my magnum opus at the time, and it was called "FIX THE LOTTERY SYSTEM GODDAMMIT", with the last word specifically added because I was under the impression that there was some study showing that cursing in the title of a book made it more likely to be bought (I can't find that, but there are a lot of online articles about that topic in general). I had done well as a player up to that point, was doing pretty well as a GM, and was ready to start throwing my VHL influence around. People largely seemed to agree with me in the replies, which felt really good, and it felt even better when I suggested in a status update that people start throwing around a "#fixthelottery" or two in their game thread comments. Some people actually did, and I had a cool week or so when I had backup every time a sim went up. 

I'm not sure exactly when the lottery was fixed, but it happened pretty quickly. The league went back to its old system (one entry in a separate random draw), which was closed entirely before long. The changes to the lottery had created a weird system that I'm sure would have been changed eventually no matter what, but I was the first one to really jump on it. You'll notice a natural progression in these articles, as time goes on and the stories become more recent, where I move a little bit away from my achievements as a player or as a GM and a little bit more into the administrative side of things. That will also come with more "making things happen" than experiencing things on my own. I'm glad I've experienced both, and that there was a time when was heavily involved in both at once.

Read my other articles for the full Gustav experience:

#1: Lightning Glory Gonna Be My Name

#2: Can't We All Just Get Along?

#3: Who Needs Cybersecurity Anyway?

#4: The House That I Built

Great article! I'm newer to the league so I haven't personally experienced the TPE inflation like other users have. You did a good job breaking down some league history, which is appreciated as I have no personal experience with the league changing. Overall, the flow of this article was easy to follow, and the content contained was interesting. Out of 10 I would give this article a 9.  

(68 Words)