Fantasy Zone Suggestions and Complaints

Posted (edited)

Hello VHL! I'm excited to announce that I will be your new Fantasy Zone Manager!

As quoted, "Duties of Fantasy Zone Manager include: VHL/VHLE/VHLM Weekly Pick 'Em". I'm excited to get started, but I would first like to open up a thread for anyone to suggest ideas on how we can improve VHL/VHLE/VHLM Fantasy Zone. Maybe there is nothing to change, maybe there is? First of all, I would like to set a specific date weekly for Fantasy Submissions to open so that no one is guessing on it! I would guess Mondays or Tuesdays work best with how our Sunday claims work, but that is something you can suggest below! :)

A few things off the top of my head:

• I would like to keep VHL/E/M Pick 'Em on one spreadsheet per week for easy picking, that won't be changing.
  • I am open to Pick 'Em question suggestions. For example, "Who will lead in points by Game 100", or "Which team will win more games this week" type of questions... I want to always keep it interesting. Would over/under questions be something fun?
  • Seasonal Standings Predictions. Once a season, at the beginning of the season, members can guess the correct order of VHL, VHLE, VHLM standings, as well as guessing each correct champion. Is this something people are interested in?
  • Playoff Brackets. These should continue for the VHL for each series. VHLE and VHLM I might make it one guess for each entire bracket, not by series. Let me know if this is something you don't like.
  • Do VHL/E/M GMs get added to the @ ping list each week so that they are sending the links to their players? I don't want anyone missing out and if that's something majority would like then I am open to adding you all on the ping list. I'm also open to adding anyone to the ping list!

I'm only one person who is brand new to this. Like I said above please don't be shy to suggest, the more chatter the better!

Edited by AJW

Posted (edited)

O/U would be cool

I would rather the bracket challenge things be all at once because its kind of easy to accidentally miss one part of it, since the timelines can be super quick on that one with a series ending one day and the next series' starting the next day.

Edited by tcookie

@AJW for standing predictions it should be score like so: Exactly correct position is 2 points, one off either direction is 1 point. So in the M you can get up to 20 points. I think this gives reasonable wiggle room without the feels bad vibes of being super close and getting nothing if you are barely off on every guess. I also think it could be cool to have like a season long leader board for the weekly pickems. Top 3 people get 3, 2, and 1 bonus TPE? Just an additional incentive to be a weekly FZ player without it being overpowered.

49 minutes ago, tcookie said:

O/U would be cool

I would rather the bracket challenge things be all at once because its kind of easy to accidentally miss one part of it, since the timelines can be super quick on that one with a series ending one day and the next series' starting the next day.

I agree with this honestly. Like March madness, 1 bracket at the start for everyone. See who has the best bracket at the end.

@AJWanother idea that I'm unsure of how much effort this would take, but if GMs could opt into having a Fantasy Zone bot automatically post the link in their Team LRs the way the games are would be dope. I'm unsure of the exact hurdles with this but I feel making it automatic will make it easier for more members to do the FZs and see them

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Pifferfish said:

@AJW for standing predictions it should be score like so: Exactly correct position is 2 points, one off either direction is 1 point. So in the M you can get up to 20 points. I think this gives reasonable wiggle room without the feels bad vibes of being super close and getting nothing if you are barely off on every guess. I also think it could be cool to have like a season long leader board for the weekly pickems. Top 3 people get 3, 2, and 1 bonus TPE? Just an additional incentive to be a weekly FZ player without it being overpowered.

I like your idea!! I’ll talk about it below… I had this drawn up as a base idea, if you want to fill out one for fun and see what I have go right ahead! I’ll make a new updated one later today.

You’ll notice a TPE scale that I created too and wasn’t sure on yet at all^^. Your points system is like how the playoff bracket works right? With 1st place getting the most TPE and then down the list and so on? With your points system idea, would you be able to give me an example of TPE payout? I have 8 TPE being the maximum currently for this task, and I think even 10 could be reasonable.

I can 1000% do a Pick ‘Em leaderboard and post it weekly, great idea as well! I’m sure a few bonus TPE for most consistent users will be a fair reward.

Edited by AJW

2 minutes ago, Pifferfish said:

@AJWanother idea that I'm unsure of how much effort this would take, but if GMs could opt into having a Fantasy Zone bot automatically post the link in their Team LRs the way the games are would be dope. I'm unsure of the exact hurdles with this but I feel making it automatic will make it easier for more members to do the FZs and see them

I’m also unsure of how the discord bots work and how they connect to our forum, I’m not too experienced with them. If we could set a bot up I would really like that as well. I’m not even sure who to ping about setting one up I will have to ask around. Thank you for another great suggestion Piffer :)

Predicting standings are annoying af and have a low chance at paying out much.  Also think the point / scoring system on a lot of the payouts don’t make a whole lot of sense rn.

I think fantasy should also be efficient to do and friendly to mobile users, jumping back and forth from the forum to portal to look at stats and standings isn’t as easy as on a desktop.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, v.2 said:

Predicting standings are annoying af and have a low chance at paying out much.  Also think the point / scoring system on a lot of the payouts don’t make a whole lot of sense rn.

I think fantasy should also be efficient to do and friendly to mobile users, jumping back and forth from the forum to portal to look at stats and standings isn’t as easy as on a desktop.

I wasn’t sure if the standings would be a fan favourite so that’s why I have that on hold for now. And I agree, a proper payout system is what I am aiming for too. I’m going to try to talk to lots of people and I’m hoping I’m having youloser be my mentor through this :)

For your second point I do agree too! I will be posting the right links in order to research. I’ll have standings, stats leaders, everything… for a quick click right from each week’s link here just to hopefully make it easier for some. Especially new users who probably don’t even know which VHL teams are good yet. I can have a section at the end of each week’s post titled “Helpful Links” or “Research Links”…. You get it

Edited by AJW

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, v.2 said:

Had some shower thoughts, I will not be doing standings predictions. Instead here is an idea to substitute: Pre-Season Predictions. Will include playoff predictor, O/U team wins, O/U player and goalie awards, and more if they come to mind.

• Playoff predictor I imagined you choose each 5 VHL conference's teams to qualify for playoffs. I can make members guess the correct order of each conference's top 5 too.
  • O/U team wins is something I saw in ISFL. I would love to get everybody poking at an LA O/U line, and of course some cheeky lines for winning teams last season like Malmo and Seattle.
  • O/U player and goalie awards is something I imagined and would be guessing O/U on awards like the Kevin Brooks - most goals award. The last few seasons each winner has been around the early 50's mark so I could create a line like 52.5 to get the people guessing not only on players, but awards too.
  • O/U player stats. Top players from last season, pretty easy to understand.

This would all be one task by the way, not all separate, so let me know what you think of these^ A lot of O/U, I would like other ideas too. I do agree that the seasonal predictions don't need to happen. I believe we could create a point system for this but I'm in no rush to rush anything. I'm open to everyone's advice

I’m not going through with this idea either yet^ just throwing it out there for now

Edited by AJW

4 hours ago, Mongoose87 said:

Got to be honest, I really like the fantasy as it is, outside of that one time where we had to guess all the standings right at the end of last season. 

ok im sorry but it was also a pain for me

1 hour ago, Mysterious_Fish said:

ok im sorry but it was also a pain for me

Not holding out against you, bud. Like I said, I liked everything else you did. 

4 hours ago, AJW said:

I like your idea!! I’ll talk about it below… I had this drawn up as a base idea, if you want to fill out one for fun and see what I have go right ahead! I’ll make a new updated one later today.

You’ll notice a TPE scale that I created too and wasn’t sure on yet at all^^. Your points system is like how the playoff bracket works right? With 1st place getting the most TPE and then down the list and so on? With your points system idea, would you be able to give me an example of TPE payout? I have 8 TPE being the maximum currently for this task, and I think even 10 could be reasonable.

I can 1000% do a Pick ‘Em leaderboard and post it weekly, great idea as well! I’m sure a few bonus TPE for most consistent users will be a fair reward.

So you could do 2 things. With 32 teams total between the leagues you have a max of 64 points with a perfect bracket.

So you could do like Super Coach with a percentile based system:

Top Picker(s) 6 TPE

80th+ Percentile 5 TPE

60-80th 4 TPE

40-60th 3 TPE

20-40 2 TPE

0-20 1 TPE

Or you can do a score based system where if you do good you win more, personally I like this better bc a decent score isn't punished by others just doing better than you.

50+ 6TPE

40-50 5TPE

30-40 4tpe

20-30 3tpe

10-20 2tpe

0-10 1tpe

You could adjust the numbers but it depends on your goals.... The 2nd method could lead to an overload of uncapped TPE of too many do well while the 1st system will lead to a more even distribution.

4 hours ago, v.2 said:

Personally I do it on mobiles and it's fine. It saves my selections as a swap and it's decently seemless. The only issue is when I open the forum in the discord browser then I do lose my stuff.

Posted (edited)

I’ve been browsing through the VHL Fantasy Zone thread and Pick ‘Em seems to be hands down the fan favourite. It’s what we have rolled with since day 1 so why even bother doing other stuff like standings predictions if not everyone likes it. So I think Pick ‘Em is all I really should master right now.

0-2 Games correctly for 1 TPE

3-4 Games correctly for 2 TPE

5-6 Games correctly for 3 TPE

This payout seems to be the most common TPE payout used for Pick ‘Em. I added in 0-2 since I feel like members should still be rewarded for attempting the task, but I can change this. 2 games per league each week with a maximum of 3 TPE paid out should be perfect. Once indexes are posted I will start to work on Week 1 and my goal here is to have submissions open each Monday, closing on Friday. Games to guess on will be simmed on Saturdays/Sundays. I think this gives everyone more than enough time to get this task done (some may need extra time researching stats and standings), and a two day window of games to guess on is plenty. VHLM should sim roughly 20 games, VHLE 12 games, and VHL 32 games per two sims.

I’ve been liking having this all in a thread the way my brain works. Can always come back to it and anyone can help me out as I’m learning. I like being vocal with what I do so please if anyone in the future has any ideas feel free to use this thread!!!

Edit: Working on a better TPE payouts to involve questions too. Maximum payout will be 4 TPE, not 3.

Edited by AJW

10 hours ago, Pifferfish said:

So you could do 2 things. With 32 teams total between the leagues you have a max of 64 points with a perfect bracket.

So you could do like Super Coach with a percentile based system:

Top Picker(s) 6 TPE

80th+ Percentile 5 TPE

60-80th 4 TPE

40-60th 3 TPE

20-40 2 TPE

0-20 1 TPE

Or you can do a score based system where if you do good you win more, personally I like this better bc a decent score isn't punished by others just doing better than you.

50+ 6TPE

40-50 5TPE

30-40 4tpe

20-30 3tpe

10-20 2tpe

0-10 1tpe

You could adjust the numbers but it depends on your goals.... The 2nd method could lead to an overload of uncapped TPE of too many do well while the 1st system will lead to a more even distribution.

Honestly issue with this is the payouts, that would be a mess for payouts either way

5 hours ago, AJW said:

I’ve been browsing through the VHL Fantasy Zone thread and Pick ‘Em seems to be hands down the fan favourite. It’s what we have rolled with since day 1 so why even bother doing other stuff like standings predictions if not everyone likes it. So I think Pick ‘Em is all I really should master right now.

0-2 Games correctly for 1 TPE

3-4 Games correctly for 2 TPE

5-6 Games correctly for 3 TPE

This payout seems to be the most common TPE payout used for Pick ‘Em. I added in 0-2 since I feel like members should still be rewarded for attempting the task, but I can change this. 2 games per league each week with a maximum of 3 TPE paid out should be perfect. Once indexes are posted I will start to work on Week 1 and my goal here is to have submissions open each Monday, closing on Friday. Games to guess on will be simmed on Saturdays/Sundays. I think this gives everyone more than enough time to get this task done (some may need extra time researching stats and standings), and a two day window of games to guess on is plenty. VHLM should sim roughly 20 games, VHLE 12 games, and VHL 32 games per two sims.

I’ve been liking having this all in a thread the way my brain works. Can always come back to it and anyone can help me out as I’m learning. I like being vocal with what I do so please if anyone in the future has any ideas feel free to use this thread!!!

2 games per league? It is 3 VHL 2 VHLE 2 VHLM

1 hour ago, Mysterious_Fish said:

2 games per league? It is 3 VHL 2 VHLE 2 VHLM

It can be whatever I want muhahaha, but realistically VHL should have more games yeah. 3,2,2 is good too

22 hours ago, AJW said:

Do VHL/E/M GMs get added to the @ ping list each week so that they are sending the links to their players? I don't want anyone missing out and if that's something majority would like then I am open to adding you all on the ping list. I'm also open to adding anyone to the ping list!

I say yes

7 minutes ago, Mysterious_Fish said:

its also more so for payouts

I talked to youloser too and I’ll be running 3 2 2 for Pick ‘Em like you said :) 

4+ Games guessed correctly = 2 TPE, 1-3 Games guessed correctly = 1 TPE. Questions will include one per league (3 total). 3/3 Questions correct = 2 TPE, 1-2 Questions correct = 1 TPE.

So you can make a total of 4 TPE per week from FZ. 2 for Pick ‘Em, 2 for Questions.

2 minutes ago, AJW said:

I talked to youloser too and I’ll be running 3 2 2 for Pick ‘Em like you said :) 

4+ Games guessed correctly = 2 TPE, 1-3 Games guessed correctly = 1 TPE. Questions will include one per league (3 total). 3/3 Questions correct = 2 TPE, 1-2 Questions correct = 1 TPE.

So you can make a total of 4 TPE per week from FZ. 2 for Pick ‘Em, 2 for Questions.

yeah there is a code for the sheet that does the math for u idk if yuloser sent it or not

8 hours ago, Mysterious_Fish said:

Honestly issue with this is the payouts, that would be a mess for payouts either way

How so? The second system is purely the same as the current one being suggested with the only difference being that I'm saying you should get credit for being within 1 of the correct position.

1 hour ago, Pifferfish said:

How so? The second system is purely the same as the current one being suggested with the only difference being that I'm saying you should get credit for being within 1 of the correct position.

There is a code that we have for payouts and that is completely different then the code, I had to mess around with it last season with my standings thing